The Open - Page 2 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Open

gusmac

4 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

What a performance. So unlucky at the last. 

I'm ashamed to say I used to have an irrational dislike for him. It was the way he smiled iirc. 

i have always thought that he must go home every night with aching jaws. How is it possible to keep on smiling like that all day long? In fact, how dare he keep on smiling like that? He's a golfer, he's not supposed to be enjoying himself. He's supposed to be throwing clubs aboot and kicking fuk oot of his golf bag. That's what real golfers do.:lol:

14 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's an absolute tragedy that it is now on Sky Sports

The BBC coverage was unsurpassable not to mention uninterrupted

I have Sky but have hardly watched any of it due to the adverts whereas i just relaxed in front of the TV for hours on end when it was on the BBC

I agree it's a tragedy it is now on Sky Sports but BBC coverage was long overdue an overhaul and lacked investment. Sky's coverage has been first class in my opinion and adverts been kept short and sharp.

Sticks in my craw that it's not on the BBC though - should be one of "crown jewels" IMO. An absolute sin - would be interested to know the amount of money that's drained into superficial pish like Strictly and The Voice, etc at expense of sporting events like The Open.

11 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

I agree it's a tragedy it is now on Sky Sports but BBC coverage was long overdue an overhaul and lacked investment. Sky's coverage has been first class in my opinion and adverts been kept short and sharp.

Sticks in my craw that it's not on the BBC though - should be one of "crown jewels" IMO. An absolute sin - would be interested to know the amount of money that's drained into superficial pish like Strictly and The Voice, etc at expense of sporting events like The Open.

Have to agree. I'm having to watch highlights programme as I missed most of today. Even that is pretty poor. They are constantly cutting away to daft montages instead of just showing the ing golf. They just brought up the leaderboard twice in a minute there.

I'm not a fan of Sky, and it's piss-poor that the national broadcaster doesn't have The Open, but the coverage has-been very good imo. 

Just further enforces the argument that the TV licence is a load of shite. 

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Thought the Beeb had the last day live at least,  a la The Masters. But no , highlights on BBC 2 this evening.  Very poor.

Sky are giving viewers what they want. 

First to last ball coverage. 

Bbc can't/won't do that. 

The c#nts at the BBC are more interested in reality sh#te than serving the folk who pay their wages. Disgraceful really....iTs only the biggest and oldest golf championship in the world......bar none.

Was on Big Phil at 40s

Still my favourite golfer

If you are going to lose then thats the best way to do it

63 for Stenson with 2 bogeys is incredible

10 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Just seen a stat that Mickelson's 17 under would have won 140 of the 144 Open Championships!

Aye they were saying that during the coverage. As said above I think even Mickelson wont be too upset to lose in that fashion. 

The scores are all the more remarkable when you consider how tough the course played. It's not like everyone was ripping it to shreds and the closest 'challenger' to them was 11 shots behind. 

Good to see Stenson finally get a win. Garcia or Westwood next hopefully. 

25 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

The scores are all the more remarkable when you consider how tough the course played. It's not like everyone was ripping it to shreds and the closest 'challenger' to them was 11 shots behind.

Indeed, the same gap as between Watson / Nicklaus and the rest in 1977.

As Hubert Green said at the time "I won the tournament I played in"...

Had a cracking day on the Saturday despite the rather inclement weather.  Got there at about 0930 and left just before 7 so a good 10 hours that felt like a lot less.  Although at 1330 when we went back to the spectators village for a beer and bite to eat we realised that we'd seen something like 6 shots in 4 hours!  Managed to take in a lot more in the afternoon including following Segio and "Beef" (that got tiring after a while!) for a few holes.  Even managed to see Sergio sink a birdie and left him just before his double bogey!!  

Didn't get anywhere near the grandstands and 7, 8 or 9 though.  By the time we got them (maybe about 1030) they were all jam packed and each looked to have about a 30 minute queue outside which we didn't want to stand in but spent some time at 13 (saw Monty give someone a telling off!!!), 14 and think it was 6.

All in all a really good day out which would have been superb if for a bit of sunshine!  We're already considering Carnoustie in 2017 (although without the inlaws this time!!).

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Had a cracking day on the Saturday despite the rather inclement weather.  Got there at about 0930 and left just before 7 so a good 10 hours that felt like a lot less.  Although at 1330 when we went back to the spectators village for a beer and bite to eat we realised that we'd seen something like 6 shots in 4 hours!  Managed to take in a lot more in the afternoon including following Segio and "Beef" (that got tiring after a while!) for a few holes.  Even managed to see Sergio sink a birdie and left him just before his double bogey!!  

Didn't get anywhere near the grandstands and 7, 8 or 9 though.  By the time we got them (maybe about 1030) they were all jam packed and each looked to have about a 30 minute queue outside which we didn't want to stand in but spent some time at 13 (saw Monty give someone a telling off!!!), 14 and think it was 6.

All in all a really good day out which would have been superb if for a bit of sunshine!  We're already considering Carnoustie in 2017 (although without the inlaws this time!!).

I went on the Saturday at Carnoustie in 2007 and the viewing was great. Often got very close to the players and I don't recall much waiting for some of the grandstands. Cracking day out.

On 7/19/2016 at 0:46 PM, fringo said:

I went on the Saturday at Carnoustie in 2007 and the viewing was great. Often got very close to the players and I don't recall much waiting for some of the grandstands. Cracking day out.

Yeah, I seem to remember Carnoustie being very good to watch as well. Not as good as Muirfield, but waaaay better than St Andrews.