Andy Watson replaces McCall - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Andy Watson replaces McCall

wanderer

Apparently he has been working as technical director at a Northern Conference team (where Gordon Strachan son was manager) after getting sack from Notts County (does not look like he followed Eck to Egypt recently).

Edited by wanderer

1 minute ago, wanderer said:

Apparently he has been working as technical director at a Northern Conference team after getting sack from Notts County (does not look like he followed Eck to Egypt recently).

They've been apart since Villa.

Doubt anyone knows a massive amount about Andy Watson, but he was assistant during what was probably the most feel good period of our recent history. He knows the setup, he knows the format and what's required and he was part of a team that got some great results. Should slot in well.

Seems a bunch of folk on here just want to be down about everything. Like saying he was sacked by Notts County, when he was first teach coach under Chris Kiwomya and left when he did (by mutual consent). He wasn't sacked for his own performance, he was part of Kiwomya's team and the club decided Kiwomya wasn't what they wanted.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/2469118

And instead of just nay saying, any chance of getting a suggestion on who should have been appointed?

Gary McAllister doesn't strike me as management material - same applies to John Collins. Great players in their day but seem to lack that managerial aura.

Personally I would like to see McLeish and Watson back replacing GS and MM. McLeish has a fire and steeliness about him that GS doesn't have. I think the players are too comfortable under GS - especially the senior ones who know they won't get dropped. McLeish was able to fire everyone up and get results.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

Doubt anyone knows a massive amount about Andy Watson, but he was assistant during what was probably the most feel good period of our recent history. He knows the setup, he knows the format and what's required and he was part of a team that got some great results. Should slot in well.

Seems a bunch of folk on here just want to be down about everything. Like saying he was sacked by Notts County, when he was first teach coach under Chris Kiwomya and left when he did (by mutual consent). He wasn't sacked for his own performance, he was part of Kiwomya's team and the club decided Kiwomya wasn't what they wanted.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/2469118

And instead of just nay saying, any chance of getting a suggestion on who should have been appointed?

he followed McLeish about everywhere. what more is there to know - we are crying out for a shot in the arm; something different from the tired old merry go round of names that persists in Scottish football. I am pretty sure Alex Smith or Jocky Scott would have been in the running. Who should have been appointed - any younger hungry mid table SPL or Championship manager who would be willing to give up some of their time - Hartley, McKinnon or better still, Ian Cathro (if approached).

if you are happy with the team, manager, tactics and current performances and think Watson will build on it then fair play. If you are unhappy but think Watson will address the slump then gain fair play. But don't expect much in the way of credibility as you clearly haven't been watching Scotland much of late.

On 18/07/2016 at 5:40 PM, Saint4805 said:

Gary McAllister doesn't strike me as management material - same applies to John Collins. Great players in their day but seem to lack that managerial aura.

Personally I would like to see McLeish and Watson back replacing GS and MM. McLeish has a fire and steeliness about him that GS doesn't have. I think the players are too comfortable under GS - especially the senior ones who know they won't get dropped. McLeish was able to fire everyone up and get results.

IF Gordon leaves at some point then he would be my choice too but Joe Jordan is my 2nd choice lol but we have a manager and its going to stay like that for a while yet.

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

IF Gordon leaves at some point then he would be my choice too but Joe Jordan is my 2nd choice lol but we have a manager and its going to stay like that for a while yet.

FFS, Joe Jordan. I wouldn't have him within a million miles of the team.  Apart from anything, the guy is an Assistant, not a manager.  He hasn't been a full time manager for twenty years.