New uk government - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New uk government

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Tbh the papers that wanted Brexit will be over the moon with that cabinet...

Yup, which I imagine isn't a bad way to start in May's position.

I'm quite impressed. Osbourne out. Gove put in a very difficult position if he's offered a post later today. Johnson given the one high-ranking cabinet post that is most subservient to the executive rather than parliament (for historical constitutional reasons when the monarch had free rein over foreign relations while parliament held the purse-strings - Cook was powerless when Blair decided to pile into Iraq).

It's also the one post that he can bollock up without directly affecting most voters (assuming he doesn't initiate open warfare with Russia - and I imagine he and Putin might get on quite well). He's basically comes across as the bloke that foreigners have a soft spot for, the eccentric Englishman. He's the Hugh Grant of politics: personable, easy to under-estimate, and likely to be caught being blown by a prozzie in the back of the ministerial Daimler.

So Gove's guns spiked; Fox and Davies given the job of sorting out the mess they campaigned for; Boris in place to add to the gaiety of the nation - not bad for your first day in a job.

6 hours ago, Ormond said:

I'd definitely agree. The sooner that "glorious" Union is cast away the better.

Yes. It'll be interesting to see how Sturgeon plays it. The EU referendum result is a very strong card but not the easiest to play. Among many other reasons, basing independence on refusing to accept the democratic decision of a single polity sets an interesting precedent in the event of Shetland, for example, voting No in Indy 2.

On 6/24/2016 at 0:27 PM, thplinth said:

The EU are going to punish Britain for leaving just the same as rUK was going to punish Scotland had we voted YES. They are going to make it their mission that this decision becomes a failure and is an example to any other EU members thinking of jumping ship. Just the same as rUK would have made it their mission to see a newly independent Scotland struggle and fail. 

Remember shortly before the Scottish referendum when Cameron flew to Shetland for a mystery visit. Well he was going to offer that they stay in the UK had it been YES (as they clearly did not support independence). Pretty sure that would have happened had we voted YES. Well if that was ok back then then it is ok now and if the EU offered Scotland and NI that option as a fukk you to England it would be a great way for them to start on their mission to make Britain (or more accurately England & Wales) pay for their act of rebellion.

This could get very tasty.

Actually I would say you have the precedent being set the wrong way round. It was going to happen had it been a YES and that had feck all to do with this EU vote or this situation. So now we can do the same thing over the EU I would say.

ps I would just like to add the Orkney & Shetland can go take a fukk to themselves anytime they want. Kunts.

Edited by thplinth

43 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Actually I would say you have the precedent being set the wrong way round. It was going to happen had it been a YES and that had feck all to do with this EU vote or this situation. So now we can do the same thing over the EU I would say.

ps I would just like to add the Orkney & Shetland can go take a fukk to themselves anytime they want. Kunts.

It's difficult to set a precedent when that precedent never occurred.

As it's the TAMB, we should all consider the Rev Stu's view on 'local' referendum results :):

Q: “But what happens if Orkney and Shetland decide to stay in the UK, or to become independent themselves?”

A: Orkney and Shetland are legally part of Scotland, and no more entitled to their own “local” referendum result than Falkirk or Peterhead or Sauchiehall Street...

The Wee Blue Book

17 minutes ago, biffer said:

I think if the Orkney and Shetland islanders read the international laws about sea borders and what constitutes an enclave they'd be a lot more reluctant to leave Scotland. 

I've heard this mentioned before but never actually seen any detail on it. 

What is the actual law around this? 

16 minutes ago, biffer said:

I think if the Orkney and Shetland islanders read the international laws about sea borders and what constitutes an enclave they'd be a lot more reluctant to leave Scotland. 

Can you explain it? I find it confusing. I don't think the Wee Blue Book's claim that 12-mile territorial waters are all that an exclave can claim makes sense given that Angola's oil fields are 40km+ off Cabinda.

52 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

As it's the TAMB, we should all consider the Rev Stu's view on 'local' referendum results :):

Q: “But what happens if Orkney and Shetland decide to stay in the UK, or to become independent themselves?”

A: Orkney and Shetland are legally part of Scotland, and no more entitled to their own “local” referendum result than Falkirk or Peterhead or Sauchiehall Street...

The Wee Blue Book

It never occurred because the YES never happened but the intent was clear and therefore a precedent has been set if only theoretically as it was never enacted.

Personally I agree with Wings but they would have done it anyway. Have you not noticed that whenever the UK cedes territory it typically always tries to split the country it is handing back into two or more (ideally fighting) states. Listened to some Russian analyst talking about this and he listed quite a few examples. Seems to be standard operating procedure.

12 minutes ago, thplinth said:

It never occurred because the YES never happened but the intent was clear and therefore a precedent has been set if only theoretically as it was never enacted.

Personally I agree with Wings but they would have done it anyway. Have you not noticed that whenever the UK cedes territory it typically always tries to split the country it is handing back into two or more (ideally fighting) states. Listened to some Russian analyst talking about this and he listed quite a few examples. Seems to be standard operating procedure.

I like this 'theoretical precedent' concept; opens up whole new scope for counter-factual historians ...

Off the top of my head, I can think of two examples of Britain ceding split territory (Ireland & India), both arguably attempts to prevent massive bloodshed. No doubt there are others. Still, I'd've thought that most post-colonial violence was due to Britain ceding artificially unified polities created from previously disparate elements.

Anyroad, I only chucked Shetlands into the mix as an example of possible difficulties for the post-EU ref. Scottish independence situation which, I'd say, is fundamentally greatly strengthened. As I said, it's just a matter of how it's played.

Doing something to rUK that rUK was planning on doing to us two years earlier is hardly 'setting the precedent'. The only reason it never happened is it became moot with the NO. So why would Shetland need this 'precedent' now when they were planning on doing it anyway long before this 'precedent' cropped up. Those Shetland whanks will fukk off no matter. They don't need no stinking precedent.

1 hour ago, DonnyTJS said:

The Wee Blue Book

I prefer thplinth's much more considered view of what the Shetlanders can do.

5 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Yup, which I imagine isn't a bad way to start in May's position.

I'm quite impressed. Osbourne out. Gove put in a very difficult position if he's offered a post later today. Johnson given the one high-ranking cabinet post that is most subservient to the executive rather than parliament (for historical constitutional reasons when the monarch had free rein over foreign relations while parliament held the purse-strings - Cook was powerless when Blair decided to pile into Iraq).

You might be right about the constraints on the position and the potential direct damage it can do to the electorate, but Cook wasn't Foreign Secretary when the decision to invade Iraq was made - he was Leader of the House of Commons. A position he resigned from because of the decision to invade Iraq. Cook knew the intel Blair was waving around was dodgy because it was the same dodgy stuff he'd seen when he was Foreign Secretary - and didn't invade Iraq at that time.

Jack Straw was Foreign Secretary when the decision was made to invade Iraq and he was all for it.  

2 minutes ago, Goozay said:

You might be right about the constraints on the position and the potential direct damage it can do to the electorate, but Cook wasn't Foreign Secretary when the decision to invade Iraq was made - he was Leader of the House of Commons. A position he resigned from because of the decision to invade Iraq. Cook knew the intel Blair was waving around was dodgy because it was the same dodgy stuff he'd seen when he was Foreign Secretary - and didn't invade Iraq at that time.

Jack Straw was Foreign Secretary when the decision was made to invade Iraq and he was all for it.  

Ach, cheers Goozay; I should've checked that as I had a vague mental niggle as I was typing that summat wasn't right. Lord, I detest Jack Straw.

7 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Ach, cheers Goozay; I should've checked that as I had a vague mental niggle as I was typing that summat wasn't right. Lord, I detest Jack Straw.

He is almost certain to be another one that will play the "dementia" card in the future

How the fvck he managed to convince folk that he was Labour minded is beyond me

Anyway - Theresa May's first mistake - keeping Jeremy Cvnt

This is their test case for changing the contracts of all public sector workers