Belgrade/Chisnau - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Belgrade/Chisnau

Newryrep

Belgrade is really nice with a lot to see and do (good city for walking around in).... great place to go for something to eat is "Sta Je Tu Je" which is a back street local tavern type place that does great and cheap food.

Chisnau I only spent 24 hours in back in 2004...... its errrrrrmmmmmmm, nice. It suffers some what that it was just a back water provincial Soviet city, so there is not a lot to see and do there (it certainly does not have the charm or interest as places like Riga, Vilnius, Tallinn, Kyiv, Yerevan and Tbilisi have, and I have been in small cities in Western Ukraine that have more to do and more pleasing on the eye.... But I still hold it higher up than the likes of Minsk), but it is/was ridiculously cheap!!!

We went to a small restaurant on the main drag through the city center.... 6 of us for 3-4 hours drinking beer and wine on a loop, 4 course meal that consisted of the whole leg of the cow... mate asks for the bill, which the waitress brings across.... Glenn suddenly has a look of shock on his face and we think "feck! we have went over board....", and he says to the waitress "no, the bill for the whole table, not just me....."... turns out our combined bill came to something like £5 each!.

While there, maybe look into a trip to the unofficial republic of Transnistria and its capital Tiraspol (it seems to get a better reputation for the tourist stuff than Chisinau does).

Edited by wanderer

4 hours ago, Newryrep said:

headed there with the mrs for the qualifiers in the autumn  - any recommendations ? (have flights and accomodation sorted)

I went to Chisinau last year - not the most touristy place, but has an interesting mix of architectural styles, and more than enough to keep you occupied for a short time. There are wine cellers in Cricova to the north of the city, which may be an interesting day trip if you can get it organised.

Following on from Wanderer's suggestion, I also went to Tiraspol, which was definitely worth the effort. Used this company for a couple of their tours, and they were excellent - http://transnistria-tour.com/en/. There are all sorts of warnings not to go, but I had no problems at all, and the people were very friendly.