League Cup 2016/17 - Page 16 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

League Cup 2016/17

14 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

was it last season Swanson scored a peach against Celtic? Levein called him the most talented individual he has worked with and think he got called into a couple of Levein's Scotland squads. As I quite like Swanson I will leave others to add any quip they see fit........

Yes. Last season he was nominated for goal of the season when we beat Celtic in Glasgow. I don't mind him using Saints as a springboard to get his career back on track as we gain from it too.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

your only interest or passion in relation to Scottish football is your absolute hatred of Hearts. it's very amusing. You seem a very well adjusted fella.

I remember when Paul Hartley was with Hearts and was mentioned on here. Mr. Cake would quote the name Paul Hartley with "is gay". That was when Dan Cake's comedy career was just taking off. :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Yes. Last season he was nominated for goal of the season when we beat Celtic in Glasgow. I don't mind him using Saints as a springboard to get his career back on track as we gain from it too.

Thought he looked fat and slow on Sunday tbh.

1 hour ago, Brassrubber said:

Scottish Fraudulent Association uphold Walkers 2 match ban and congratulate  Scott (GRASS) Brown for bringing it to their attention 

That's a honking decision.

Although it was never a penalty, the real culprit was the guy who gave the award. What punishment does he get for his gross error of judgement?

Really pleased with how Celtic are starting to shape up. The football is much better than the last few years. Some players seem to have improved already and the new signings are improving the team rather than coming in and hardly playing. Obviously the big test is in the next few weeks to make sure we reach the Champions League group stages but the signs have been good, particularly after a rocky start in Gibraltar. 

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

He has talent but he's nowhere near consistent enough to make it beyond where he is. He's also 29 years old, so I dunno where you think he's going to "springboard" to? 

Just now, Parklife said:

He has talent but he's nowhere near consistent enough to make it beyond where he is. He's also 29 years old, so I dunno where you think he's going to "springboard" to? 

One good season injury free and he will move from us to a bigger club.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

That's a honking decision.

Although it was never a penalty, the real culprit was the guy who gave the award. What punishment does he get for his gross error of judgement?

Why is it a bad decision? He clearly dived. Surely deserves to be punished no? 

6 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Why is it a bad decision? He clearly dived. Surely deserves to be punished no? 

Because it clearly wasn't a penalty - there was no contact - not even close to it.

Looked to me as though Walker wasn't even claiming it either.

So why did the referee give it? He awarded the penalty, not Walker.

What's claiming got to do with anything? He clearly threw himself to the ground, and from the replay looks like he shrieks like a wee lassie just as the non-contact is made. I'm amazed folk, the Hearts manager included, are arguing the toss about this when it's so blatant. 

Your other point about the ref is irrelevant to whether Walker should be banned or not. Bad decision though, no question. 

22 minutes ago, Ormond said:

One good season injury free and he will move from us to a bigger club.

Which 'bigger club' ?

He's kicked around his whole career at nothing more than average teams. 

He's probably at his level at Saints, in all honesty.

3 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Which 'bigger club' ?

He's kicked around his whole career at nothing more than average teams. 

He's probably at his level at Saints, in all honesty.

At 29 he could go to the manky two or the English championship. That's IF he has a full good season. 

2 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

What's claiming got to do with anything? He clearly threw himself to the ground, and from the replay looks like he shrieks like a wee lassie just as the non-contact is made. I'm amazed folk, the Hearts manager included, are arguing the toss about this when it's so blatant. 

Your other point about the ref is irrelevant to whether Walker should be banned or not. Bad decision though, no question. 

The referee is the one who gives the decision, so how can any point about him be irrelevant? 

He's the one who called the decision, and he called it wrong.

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

At 29 he could go to the manky two or the English championship. That's IF he has a full good season. 

I honestly doubt it.

One or two mercurial moments aside in the last 10 years, Swanson has never been anything other than a fairly decent, middle of the road footballer. 

Don't get me wrong, if he remains fit I think he'll be a good player for Saints. But at almost 30 it's hard to see his career taking off now. 

4 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

The referee is the one who gives the decision, so how can any point about him be irrelevant? 

He's the one who called the decision, and he called it wrong.

Because the retrospective ban applies to players, not referee's. The player cheated, the player gets banned. 

You wanting refs punished is a separate issue altogether. 

19 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Because the retrospective ban applies to players, not referee's. The player cheated, the player gets banned. 

You wanting refs punished is a separate issue altogether. 

I understand what you are saying, Angus.

However the reason a player is being deemed to have cheated is because the referee made the wrong call in the first place!!!!

57 minutes ago, Rossy said:

I honestly doubt it.

One or two mercurial moments aside in the last 10 years, Swanson has never been anything other than a fairly decent, middle of the road footballer. 

Don't get me wrong, if he remains fit I think he'll be a good player for Saints. But at almost 30 it's hard to see his career taking off now. 

He was well above average for a good Dundee Utd for several seasons.  He hasn't managed to maintain that level - another who moved for better things and didn't find them - but he has great feet. 

Still, he did better than Garry Kenneth when he went chasing a pot of gold.