League Cup 2016/17 - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

League Cup 2016/17

Chris Sutton's football knowledge is fukkin unnatural.   How does he get a gig is beyond me. 

13 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Hamilton two down.at Ayr. Early days of course but you've got to think they will struggle to stay up this season. 

Tipped Ayr for today... unfortunately the others let me down! 

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He really is a fanny. Although I agree with what he has just said.

I seen 45 minutes and we could have won it by 5 goals. Dominated possession and looked sharp but.......we seem incapable of dealing with simple balls into the box. I dont want to sound like a crabbit bassa but Motherwell weren't in the game at any point in the second half but still managed to miss a couple of absolute sitters. Remains a worry for me I have to say.

Ref has had a couple of strange ones there towards the end. 

I was watching a different game.

Rangers dominated the 2nd half, but at half time I thought Motherwell were the better team, and should've been ahead.

Did ref get a big call wrong? Thought Rangers had a decent shout for a handball, but don't remember anything else.

3 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

I thought it was a good game. Plenty of chances and refereeing cock ups. Very pleased to win ad particularly pleased with our 2nd half performance and the chances we created. Defense is still a worry though.

Cheers Wolfie.  Looking forward to a decent league this season.  Did the rangers fans turn up despite threat of boycott?

21 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I was watching a different game.

Rangers dominated the 2nd half, but at half time I thought Motherwell were the better team, and should've been ahead.

Did ref get a big call wrong? Thought Rangers had a decent shout for a handball, but don't remember anything else.

Your keeper should have been sent off for handling outside the box. Also, probable penalty for us for handball and, in that same 10 minute spell, we had a good advantage brought back for no reason after a shirt tug on McKay (which didn't get the booking it merited) and one of our players should have been booked for a lunge.

Thought we were by far the better side but conceded the best chances in the first half and a few in the 2nd too. Overall, deserving winners.

The Samson one looked like a chest to me, but I only saw it at the game. (Do the tv pictures show otherwise?) Waghorn looked offside aswell...

I know the advantage you are talking about, Rangers won possession when a Rangers player brought down Johnston and handled simultaneously to set up the attack.

to be fair to the ref, he gave a few seconds for an advantage to develop, and just as he blew the advantage became apparent.

5 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

The Samson one looked like a chest to me, but I only saw it at the game. (Do the tv pictures show otherwise?) Waghorn looked offside aswell...

I know the advantage you are talking about, Rangers won possession when a Rangers player brought down Johnston and handled simultaneously to set up the attack.

to be fair to the ref, he gave a few seconds for an advantage to develop, and just as he blew the advantage became apparent.

It hit Samson on the elbow and Waghorn wasn't offside.

8 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

It hit Samson on the elbow and Waghorn wasn't offside.

There you go then.

Dont disagree that overall Rangers deserved to win, although had we taken our early chances, it could've been very different.

Hard to tell if Rangers were better in the 2nd half and scored, or were better because they scored.... 

8 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

There you go then.

Dont disagree that overall Rangers deserved to win, although had we taken our early chances, it could've been very different.

Hard to tell if Rangers were better in the 2nd half and scored, or were better because they scored.... 

As I said above I only seen since half time and thought we dominated the full second half and should have scored a good few more.  Again though I can think of 4 good chances you boys had, albeit one of them with seconds to go. So on the balance of play, aye we deserved it but couldn't have moaned if you had got something as we looked amateur at the back at times.

Mate at the game agrees with you about the early stages but reckons we came into it towards the end of the first half. 

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Rangers appeared to have sold most of their allocation, so 4000 of a 7000 crowd I'd guess.

Cheers mate.  Why have Motherwell got a poor support?  U would think I should know as I did a market research study in 1991 after they had won the cup.  John Swinburn the Commercial Manager came to us.  30,000 at cup final then first home game after winning it had around 5000.  I got Marketing students to do a whole 6 months research study and still never came to a conclusion!!  And I worked next door to fir park for 23 years.  Probably the same old story though.  Rangers and celtic buses leaving by the drove.

22 hours ago, adamntg said:

It was all United but they couldn't score.  Obadeyi looked good as did Johnson when he came on.  Arbroath equalised in stoppage time with a handball after Bell had made a cnut of coming for a cross. 

Look very dodgy through the middle at the back, and need another striker.  Not overly concerned, but not terribly exciting either. 

Cheers mate :ok: 

4 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Hamilton two down.at Ayr. Early days of course but you've got to think they will struggle to stay up this season. 

I was at the game today and Hamilton are in serious trouble.

2-1 flattered them. Ayr could've been 3 or 4 ahead.

6 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

He really is a fanny. Although I agree with what he has just said.

I seen 45 minutes and we could have won it by 5 goals. Dominated possession and looked sharp but.......we seem incapable of dealing with simple balls into the box. I dont want to sound like a crabbit bassa but Motherwell weren't in the game at any point in the second half but still managed to miss a couple of absolute sitters. Remains a worry for me I have to say.

Ref has had a couple of strange ones there towards the end. 

I assume you watched the 2nd half? I only watched the first but you guys were rotten. 3-0 Motherwell after 45 mins would've been a fair result. 

2 hours ago, Baz said:

I was at the game today and Hamilton are in serious trouble.

2-1 flattered them. Ayr could've been 3 or 4 ahead.

Despite me believing that Canning will get Accies relegated it is worth noting that in recent years the team are renowned for not giving 100% in cup competitions therefore wouldnt judge them on todays poor showing

Staying in the SPL is the one and only priority

8 hours ago, Parklife said:

I assume you watched the 2nd half? I only watched the first but you guys were rotten. 3-0 Motherwell after 45 mins would've been a fair result. 

Aye only second half. Can't be too critical as it's the first game, but our defending, especially ball into the box remains a concern for the season ahead. 

Motherwell seem to run out of steam a wee bit just after half time after a good first half. It really could have ended 4-4. 

Windass looked a really good player when he came on and MOH looked really sharp.  Yet again  we are far too open in the middle of the park but hopefully with the introduction of Barton and Rossitor things will tighten up a lot. I'd like to see Jordan Thompson get a few games this week as been hearing a lot of good things about him. 

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Despite me believing that Canning will get Accies relegated it is worth noting that in recent years the team are renowned for not giving 100% in cup competitions therefore wouldnt judge them on todays poor showing

Staying in the SPL is the one and only priority

Yeah I know their recent cup form is woeful but yesterday they lacked any attacking threat, looked shaky at the back and had looked like they had no hunger or desire.

It's early days but on that showing they will struggle all season.

3 minutes ago, Baz said:

Yeah I know their recent cup form is woeful but yesterday they lacked any attacking threat, looked shaky at the back and had looked like they had no hunger or desire.

It's early days but on that showing they will struggle all season.

Or they might do a Leicester!!