League Cup 2016/17 - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

League Cup 2016/17

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Ormond said:

A team who plays in a league lower should not be seeded higher than the 4th best team in the country.

Better team than Hibees?  Played you and most of the SPL of the park last season including our semi win against you at Swynie.

On 25/07/2016 at 1:24 PM, Ormond said:

I personally wouldn't have any seeding. I agree with helping out the teams playing in Europe but that's as far as it should go. Open draw after that. 

I know folk like a seeding system as they will argue that it should, in theory, give us 'more attractive' ties but that has the opposite effect on me. It's one of the reasons I rarely watch Champions League games these days too. 

16 hours ago, macy37 said:

Lee Clark won't see October.

A more bizarre appointment you won't see. He's never a football manager.

I stuck Albion on to win, shame it was a 90 min bet. Killie to get relegated has been confirmed

40 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

I personally wouldn't have any seeding. I agree with helping out the teams playing in Europe but that's as far as it should go. Open draw after that. 

I know folk like a seeding system as they will argue that it should, in theory, give us 'more attractive' ties but that has the opposite effect on me. It's one of the reasons I rarely watch Champions League games these days too. 

I doubt if seeding really makes much difference in the Scottish game. Pretty much anyone can beat anyone. 

The only thing it means is that Celtic can't play Rangers in this coming round, or Aberdeen can't play Hearts. 

16 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

But if they lose the penalty shoot out, Dunfermline leap frog them....

I don't think that is right. Both teams would be on 8 points but United have the better goal difference so would go through. Dunfermline need to win in in 90 minutes. Any other result and United are through. 

2 hours ago, Ta Ta said:

I don't think that is right. Both teams would be on 8 points but United have the better goal difference so would go through. Dunfermline need to win in in 90 minutes. Any other result and United are through. 

Would the Pars winning on penalties not be the tie breaker though? 

Tried searching for Bet Fred cup rules to check but I draw a blank...

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Would the Pars winning on penalties not be the tie breaker though? 

Tried searching for Bet Fred cup rules to check but I draw a blank...

According to the BT Sport guys, Dunfermline have to win in 90 minutes to go through. 

Full draw: 

Sevco v Peterhead

Dundee United v Thistle

Celtic v Motherwell

Hamilton v Morton

Hibs v Queen of the South

St.Johnston v Hearts

Alloa v ICT

Ayr v Aberdeen

8 hours ago, Ta Ta said:

Yeah, hoped nobody had picked up on it.

:lol:

Presume goal difference was the deciding factor, and obviously a draw wouldn't affect that.

Had it gone to penalties, surely would've been the most pointless shoot out ever!

We've had two away cup ties this season already...! ;)

As a sadsack, I thought I'd research our home/away record in cup ties since season 2012-13 when, of course, football actually begun for us Rangers fans (apparently). Excluding cup ties held in neutral venues but including replays, the record is 23 home ties and 16 away. you can deduce your own conclusions from those facts; some will think there is an obvious and suspect bent towards home fixtures whilst the sane ones will consider that it's just the luck of the draw.

Surprised that the normally reliable factmeister Sevco Sheddy has forgotten a certain cup tie against the lower-league Dundee Irrelevant FC back in the 2013 glory days when we suffered a humping. That, as far as I could tell, was an away cup tie.

On the whole Rangers home draw banter, anybody got the stats, or bored enough to get them?

Can remember Livi away in the petrofac cup, and Dundee United at tannadice, and united again at a neutral venue (Ibrox :lol: ).

Just now, sbcmfc said:

On the whole Rangers home draw banter, anybody got the stats, or bored enough to get them?

Can remember Livi away in the petrofac cup, and Dundee United at tannadice, and united again at a neutral venue (Ibrox :lol: ).

Do keep up. ;)

2 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Do keep up. ;)

One of the quirks of newco TAMB is that it doesn't show you messages that were posted as you typed.

I'd include neutral venues, as it makes the stats worse!

Easter road, Ibrox and Hampden x4?

So only left Glasgow once? Presume you got "the Rangers end" at Hampden all 4 times? I hope Peterhead lay claim to "the Peterhead end" if they ever play Celtic at Hampden, after all, they've always had that end....

(random bug bear shoehorned in...)