Turkey - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, phart said:

they were talking about the possibility on the corbet report about it being a possibility back in December. Seems a few folk saw it coming, I never,

My friends, who were my employers when I worked in Istanbul have been talking about a coup since last  year. They were very surprised nothing happened after attack at peace rally and when we spoke after airport attack Amir said if nothing happened now then it never would. They were definitely hoping for an army takeover. I pray their hopes come true in the way they prayed for. 

Looking like it has failed. 42 folk dead though :(

Who's to say the people involved in the coup weren't involved in the blackmarket oil as well.

Anyway I don't really know much about this seems it wasn't a surprised to some peeps.

4 hours ago, G-Man said:

My friends, who were my employers when I worked in Istanbul have been talking about a coup since last  year. They were very surprised nothing happened after attack at peace rally and when we spoke after airport attack Amir said if nothing happened now then it never would. They were definitely hoping for an army takeover. I pray their hopes come true in the way they prayed for. 

Yeah Turkey has a history of military intervention.

Yeah it seems a few folk were almost waiting for this to happen. Including the council on foreign relations. I watched a video last year (which i posted) that talked about it, but forgot i had watched it till i saw the coup happening. 42 folk dead maybe 17 policemen and helicopters being shot down as the army fights the army. Not good at all.

Goes to show, it's not easy to stage a successful military coup in the social-media age if the government has a reasonable degree of popular support. Time was you just had to seize the building of the state broadcaster. Things have changed.

20 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Goes to show, it's not easy to stage a successful military coup in the social-media age if the government has a reasonable degree of popular support. Time was you just had to seize the building of the state broadcaster. Things have changed.

Very true. Lock down the media, put a few tanks on the street and people tended (understandably) to stay in their houses while relatively small numbers of troops seized power. Not now. It's still not really clear who and what, but it is being reported as a faction of the the military staging a coup to protect the secular nature of the state. However pretty much all of the political parties seem to have rallied to the government against the coup, including the secular and Kurdish ones. Erdogan has purged much of the leadership of the army in recent years, so it may be fairly junior officers behind the coup. 

Edited by Pool Q

22 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

It's mental really, I just watched an attempted military coup via social media from my house. Very surreal.

Erdogan clearly looking to blame it on supporters of Gulen in the army as being behind the coup, the suggestion is that they have acted now as many will be removed at the military council next month. Wouldn't trust anything Erdogan said though.

Was in Marmaris yesterday until about 11pm and no sign of any problems at all. Couple of police cars whizzing past with the lights going but that's a normal occurrence anyway so thought nothing of it.

Reports of gunfire and explosions but we were in the main part all evening and saw nothing amiss. Staying in Icmeler at the moment and apparently the road to Marmaris is now closed and there are reports of gunfire between here and Marmaris but again I have see nothing amiss whatsoever.

Crazy times we're living in though.

6 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

The sooner somebody presses that button and puts us all out of our misery the better. Let's put this shite to bed once and for all

Thats a cheery wee post. Can we wait till the end of October,  I am booked to go to Turkey on holiday. 

Could somebody educate me here, have I got this right. Erdogan government democratically elected (by some sort of Western standard),trying to make the country less secular more Islamic. Supports rebels in Syria, gets terrorist attacks from PKK (also supporting/ part of rebels in Syria) and ISIS. Attempted coup in order to remove Erdogan government and replace with .......?

Amazing that every thing Putin is falsely accused of in the western press Erdogan actually does and far far worse and the same press and TV is silent.

The coup does loo like it was maybe encouraged to allow this massive purge. 

Brexit looking better with every day...