Albums that were rubbish when you were immature but are not anymore - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Albums that were rubbish when you were immature but are not anymore

I rated The Hissing of Summer Lawns back then ('75?); that'll be my natural maturity. I can think of plenty of albums that've gone the other way - good then, shite now - but struggling to think of t'other way round. I hated Dark Side of the Moon for years, but that was less to do with the quality of the content and more with the hair-length of the group.

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Does that reflect the change in your sexual habits over the years?

Ha Ha

It was what my Dad used to listen to ad nauseum and therefore was seen as embarrassing when you are into The Smiths etc

I now realise its a work of genius

I need to give this more thought although the very mention of Joni Mitchell is a fine example. I loved Dylan, why did Joni not do it for me. Perseverance took years until a friend recommended her clever arrangement of Unchained Melody and Chinese Cafe combined as one  - only then did I properly listen.  

I was lucky and always had "sheite" taste in music. I thought it was great but others claimed it was sheite. Showed me that taste is truly personal and there's hee haw wrong with getting ready for a Sunday night out to Colm Wilkinson or The Smiths or Donna Summer or Paddy Reilly. Obviously I got ready alone then went to meet my pals with their more night oot friendly tunes.  

The only singer I've slightly changed my mind about is Matt Munro. I still love his voice but listening to an album it becomes a bit ''samey'. Music, or maybe musical memories, makes me more emotional these days which I assume is an age thing. 

26 minutes ago, G-Man said:

The only singer I've slightly changed my mind about is Matt Munro. I still love his voice but listening to an album it becomes a bit ''samey'. Music, or maybe musical memories, makes me more emotional these days which I assume is an age thing. 

Have to agree

There is no doubt that the likes of Matt Monro and Nat King Cole had fabulous and unmatchable voices but they are best listened to in small doses

I guess thats why Frank Sinatra was "The Voice"

Another exception is Bobby Darin

Tricky that way round Barney, very tricky :)

Soul and country were dismissed in my youth.   Found a few nuggets now, but since I've never heard whole albums, I still can't answer.   Same goes for Dylan.   Got to an age that I appreciate him, but (since I hear songs by themselves) couldn't honestly say which album is great.

But then there is a certain London TAMBer who showed me the delights in 80's metal before he went off on his strange modern ways.   I thought 80's stuff a bit juvenile as I thought I'd grown up, but with hindsight there were some goodies like Slayer and this, which is a great after dark album (Sláinte :wub: ).

11 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Have to agree

There is no doubt that the likes of Matt Monro and Nat King Cole had fabulous and unmatchable voices but they are best listened to in small doses

I guess thats why Frank Sinatra was "The Voice"

Another exception is Bobby Darin

I couldn't decide whether to go out with someone once so asked if he preferred Matt Munroe or Frank Sunatra. He didn't know Matt so didn't go out. Moral of the story, I was a wee twat when I was younger. 

(In case Orra reads this, last sentence is not an open goal.) 

Edited by G-Man

2 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I couldn't decide whether to go out with someone once so asked if he preferred Matt Munroe or Frank Sunatra. He didn't know Matt so didn't go out. Moral of the story, I was a wee twat when I was younger. 

When you've got "it" use it

6 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Lou reed - street hassle.

What? I know it's all meant to be subjective, blah blah blah, but I'm amazed how anyone could not be bowled over by that album on first hearing? Stone cold classic.

Took me a long time to get into Dylan now that I think about it.

The only one I can come up with is Marquee Moon - bought it on LP and thought it was guff - it was only years later when I bought it on CD that I finally appreciated it. 

Actually, while typing the above Quadrophenia came into my head - I loved the pre-Tommy Who and Quadrophenia was a crushing disappointment - it just sounded like horrible '70s rock music - however, I bought the CD version a number of years back (over 20 years after buying it on LP) and it was a revelation. 

On the other hand Trout Mask Replica was impenetrable on LP and CD - perhaps I should give it a go on download...

Edited by Charlie Endell

After U2 went to Hansa Studios in Berlin to record Achtung Baby (26 years ago? F*ck, time flies!) I for some strange reason wanted to hear more of the music previously recorded at Hansa; the whole Hansa/Berlin thing seemed very evocative. That of course, meant Bowie; not least the "Heroes" album.

Really struggled with it when I was younger, but tried it again about ten or fifteen years later and loved it. Having disliked it my first time around, I can accept it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea; 'avant garde' or crap depending on your perspective, but much of it succeeds in taking you to a place and a time i.e. Cold War Berlin.

It's a good listen if you're ever travelling through Eastern Europe by train in the depths of winter!

P.S can highly recommend the Hansa Studio tour for any Bowie, U2 or Depeche Mode fans.

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Didn't realise there was a tour, will need to take a look at that. 

Aye, I did the tour two winter's ago.

There are X number of tours every year and it lasted about 3 hours. I loved it.

It wasn't just technical stuff; there was stuff about the history of the immediate area (the Wall and the watchtower's were very close) and stories about Bowie and Iggy in Berlin :spin:

It was just great knowing you were stood in the very room where Bowie had recorded 'Heroes' and where U2 had recorded 'One'.

As I said, if you like Bowie, U2, Depeche Mode, Iggy or if you're just interested in the technical aspects, you'll enjoy it.

Not only the studio tour either... http://www.musictours-berlin.com/

P.S. at the end, they'll play some songs through a mixing desk and some absolutely top-notch speakers. Superb!

But when he's played those, ask for 'Zoo Station' - awesome through those speakers!!!

3 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

What? I know it's all meant to be subjective, blah blah blah, but I'm amazed how anyone could not be bowled over by that album on first hearing? Stone cold classic.

I had just about every Lou Reed album and when I bought this one it didn't quite do it for me. So it got stored in between Metal Machine Music and and The Blue Mask. It wasn't until a bit later I started giving it a listen, possibly after being on acid.

It is a great album that has stood the test of time for sure.

Immediately thought of NWA 's - 'Straight Outta Compton'

Mate of mine was a huge fan of them years ago. I denounced it, like all other forms of rap music, as pish. Utter utter pish at that. 

Having read the stories behind them all, and watched the film, it's clear just how unbelievably talented that were/are.

Have listened to the album 3 or 4 times now and it's superb

Could probably add a couple of older Metallica albums as well. Like a lot of guys my age, I only really knew about them because of the Black album and always thought their earlier stuff was just noise. 

Over the years I've realised 'master of puppets' and '......and Justice for All' both piss all over the Black Album. 

Have to agree with you Angus, in that the Black Album was my entry level to Metallica after avoiding metal through the 80's, but grew to appreciate stuff later.

You also brought up rap. I struggled with rap-rock at first, but didn't take long to get into RATM and many others.   I think it must just be the way brains are wired by your early music, so it takes a wee while to change.   Or as in other fields, I'm just a slow learner.

2 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Immediately thought of NWA 's - 'Straight Outta Compton'

Mate of mine was a huge fan of them years ago. I denounced it, like all other forms of rap music, as pish. Utter utter pish at that. 

Having read the stories behind them all, and watched the film, it's clear just how unbelievably talented that were/are.

Have listened to the album 3 or 4 times now and it's superb

Could probably add a couple of older Metallica albums as well. Like a lot of guys my age, I only really knew about them because of the Black album and always thought their earlier stuff was just noise. 

Over the years I've realised 'master of puppets' and '......and Justice for All' both piss all over the Black Album. 

On a similar tip, I remember buying Illmatic by Nas when I was about 14 as I had read that it was pretty much accepted as the greatest hip hop album of all time. I listened to it once and took it back to HMV. Fast forward 17 years and if you were to ask my favourite album of all time Illmatic would be number 1.

Guest flumax

Stone Roses. Couldn't get into them until 11y after release. 

Similar with any classic rock Anything by AC/DC, iron maiden, gnr, def Leppard. Wasn't until I was in my 20s. Until I got it. Now it's what I listen to more than anything else.