Rio 2016 - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

15 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

London spent £50m on the opening ceremony. Think Rio's was around £5m with lots artists and others offering services free of charge.

That is fair enough as the opening ceremony is, arguably, a waste of money.  But it really showed.

I wonder how much Bejing cost?

Not been able to watch a lot yet but really looking forward to the track cycling and athletics kicking off.   Suspend the disbelief and everyone crack on.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Denny's Yard said:

That is fair enough as the opening ceremony is, arguably, a waste of money.  But it really showed.

With a slight digression I thoroughly recommend watching Yentob's film about the making of the 2012 opening ceremony before it disappears from the iPlayer...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2016/29/olympic-imagine

12 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

With a slight digression I thoroughly recommend watching Yentob's film about the making of the 2012 opening ceremony before it disappears from the iPlayer...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2016/29/olympic-imagine

Thanks. Will have a look at that later.  Had a mate who was going to be part of the London ceremony then his section got cut at the last minute.  He was a wee bit disappointed.

52 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

Enjoyed the women's rugby 7s and looking forward to the men's competition starting today

I enjoyed it too.  Canada were brutal last night and thoroughly deserved their win.  The Aussies were excellent and good to watch....

Looking forward to the blokes competition.  Any Scots in the GB team (assuming there's a GB team?!)? 

There is a GB team, and I think there are two Scots in ot. An article on the BBC website yesterday on the Scottish Rugby section where Colin Gregor expressed his doubts about the GB team and selection. Looks like it will be mainly English players, and not all the best picks for a sevens tournament.

4 hours ago, Fermer said:

Good interview by the pole vaulting champion of south korea.  He used tto be the pole vaulting champion of north korea seemingly.

:lol: very good.

I was walking along Copacabana the other day, and saw a tall blonde muscular lad walking towards me with a very long package on his shoulder. I thought to myself "I know what he's up to". So I went over to him and said "Are you a pole vaulter?". To which he replied "Nein, I am German and how did you know my name is Valter?" 

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

:lol: very good.

I was walking along Copacabana the other day, and saw a tall blonde muscular lad walking towards me with a very long package on his shoulder. I thought to myself "I know what he's up to". So I went over to him and said "Are you a pole vaulter?". To which he replied "Nein, I am German and how did you know my name is Valter?" 

Aye!!!  Silver medal lol.  We should have a joke olympics with votes on final day.  Me and Orraloon have kicked it off.  Any challengers??

Rugby selection for GB is a little odd, in that there are a couple of English lads in who are tried, tested and very good, but perhaps on the wane if recent results are anything by which to go. 

That said, the lads who I would have thought might replace them are also English, bar a lad from Scotland whose name I forget right now.

I enjoy the world sevens when it comes round - Scotland winning the last round there at Twickenham (and knocking out England on the way) was brilliant!

22 hours ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

Rugby selection for GB is a little odd, in that there are a couple of English lads in who are tried, tested and very good, but perhaps on the wane if recent results are anything by which to go. 

That said, the lads who I would have thought might replace them are also English, bar a lad from Scotland whose name I forget right now.

I enjoy the world sevens when it comes round - Scotland winning the last round there at Twickenham (and knocking out England on the way) was brilliant!

2 Scots Bennett & Donaldson ?

2 Welsh

8 English 

Bennett fae Cumnock doing well so far.

1 hour ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

Mark Robertson. Good try from Bennett today, by the sounds of it (was driving and listening on the radio).

I listened to it on 5Live. 

Ian Robertson, a Scot, called the team 'England' at least once and tripped over saying it a few more times. The co-commentator....ex-England 7's coach....called the English players constantly by their first names and never mentioned any non-English player at all.

Doesn't bother me that much, aside from it being a bit predictable and laughable.

Surprised no one has mentioned the glaring mistake in the coat of arms on team gb's attire. I would have thought some of our more educated members would have noticed they have removed the unicorn ( which represents Scotland) and replaced it with a lion. So basically it's back to 3 lions on the shirt

9 hours ago, hunchy said:

Surprised no one has mentioned the glaring mistake in the coat of arms on team gb's attire. I would have thought some of our more educated members would have noticed they have removed the unicorn ( which represents Scotland) and replaced it with a lion. So basically it's back to 3 lions on the shirt

It's a brand new coat of arms for Team GB apparently...

http://amateurheralds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1090&sid=5c74c8e0182749021bdf85d18f846d7

Looks absolutely howling on the tennis shirts anyway.