Rio 2016 - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

11 minutes ago, Rossy said:

I've felt that as well, but I've tried to rationalise it. 

Firstly, it's their 'big' thing. They don't get much sport these days and when they do they throw everything at it.....combine that with an almost cringing desperation to be 'uber British' and for many it starts to grate.

Secondly, and combined with that, for the very first time at an Olympics I simply feel absolutely no empathy with the concept of a 'British' team. 

In 2012  I was cheering on Farah and the likes, but in the last 4 years I've had the concept of 'Britishness' shoved down my throat so often by the likes of the BBC that I now turn channel when the jingoism gets ramped up. 

I don't wish any British sportsman ill, it's just that 'Team GB' is not my team. 

:ok:

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Heard a 'proud Scot' that I know lightly ribbing an Irish pal of ours about their 1 silver medal. I'd take a silver medal for Scotland over all

And there's always a big fuss about nations winning a medal for the first time such as Fiji in the Rugby sevens.  It doesn't matter whether its Gold or not it's still an achievement worth celebrating.  I'm sure some Scots athletes might lose out from not having access to rUK expertise / funding but that could well be balanced by greater interest in a team competing under a Scotland flag and loss of access to rUK expertise / funding would presumably have little effect on golfers, tennis players etc

How is Britain so high in the medals table without being systematic drug cheats. We are grubbing Russia who are the worst drug cheats in the world apparently. Must be down to our indomitable plucky British spirit in the face of endemic cheating by Johnny Foreigner scum. I see that Portuguese burd had 5 PB's out of 7 events against the lovely Jessica Ennis-whatever. Cheating bitch obviously and no doubt Jessica will win it when the truth comes out. 

3 hours ago, Rossy said:

I've felt that as well, but I've tried to rationalise it. 

Firstly, it's their 'big' thing. They don't get much sport these days and when they do they throw everything at it.....combine that with an almost cringing desperation to be 'uber British' and for many it starts to grate.

Secondly, and combined with that, for the very first time at an Olympics I simply feel absolutely no empathy with the concept of a 'British' team. 

In 2012  I was cheering on Farah and the likes, but in the last 4 years I've had the concept of 'Britishness' shoved down my throat so often by the likes of the BBC that I now turn channel when the jingoism gets ramped up. 

I don't wish any British sportsman ill, it's just that 'Team GB' is not my team. 

This.

Exactly how I feel. But you can't say it on Facebook or you get some brainwashed Scot/Brit having a go at you for being a bitter nationalist.

One of the most annoying things is the BBC's neverending need to build up average athletes into world class stars. Take yesterday. Jessica Ennis-Hill is no doubt a class heptathlete and would have competed at a high level in any generation. But look a bit deeper into Mo Farah and he's never come within half a minute of the 10,000m world record, and 15 seconds of the 5,000m world record. There's no doubt he is talented, but he's lucky that he's never come up against an athlete of the calibre of Gebrselassie or Bekele. Greg Rutherford on the other hand, as well as being an utter bawbag of a man, is truly lucky that he's competing in a generation that is at best mediocre. His top five jumps are the 118th furthest ever, 282nd, 432nd, 432nd, and 469th. In virtually any other generation he'd have been happy just being on the plane.

4 minutes ago, Ormond said:

The eejits over here are going daft because one of the gymnast lassies never placed her hand over her heart during the anthem. It's all over the news. :wtf:

The Daily Mail ####wits and other assorted BritNat fanatics were up in arms about Sir Bradley ripping the pish out of GSTQ the other night.

I always thought he was a knob but I've started to like him a bit more.

2 minutes ago, Rossy said:

The Daily Mail ####wits and other assorted BritNat fanatics were up in arms about Sir Bradley ripping the pish out of GSTQ the other night.

I always thought he was a knob but I've started to like him a bit more.

Was it him who had the very good comeback to that odious khunt Piers Morgan a while ago via Twitter about this very subject? 

54 minutes ago, Stapes said:

But look a bit deeper into Mo Farah and he's never come within half a minute of the 10,000m world record, and 15 seconds of the 5,000m world record. There's no doubt he is talented, but he's lucky that he's never come up against an athlete of the calibre of Gebrselassie or Bekele. Greg Rutherford on the other hand, as well as being an utter bawbag of a man, is truly lucky that he's competing in a generation that is at best mediocre. His top five jumps are the 118th furthest ever, 282nd, 432nd, 432nd, and 469th. In virtually any other generation he'd have been happy just being on the plane.

I don't think there's any doubt that Farah has been the world's best distance athlete for than last few years. With them being more tactical races the actual times aren't seen as important as in the sprints.

Agree with you re Rutherford though. Very lucky to even get a medal yesterday due to that boy dipping his trailing fingers in the sand.

Personally I'm not exactly a massive Britnat but I do like to see the Scots and our neighbours doing well in the Olympics. I draw the line at listening to the anthem though...

11 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Was it him who had the very good comeback to that odious khunt Piers Morgan a while ago via Twitter about this very subject? 

Ye he is the one made a reply about tax and phone hacking

On the commentators they are doing my head in. Watching the pommel horse a wee bit ago and they never said when one of them had a wee wobble or slight mistake. Went on as if every move was perfect but yet every other nation they would pipe up about any wee slip. Only time I heard them say anything bad was during the replay when the gymnast commentator said about Max's leg being slightly bent

All, but one of the Scots medals were won in a team event with other Brits. As much as I dislike the Team GB, I'm not that keen on the ''We've got 50 athletes/9medals'' Reporting Scotland parochial stuff either. I'm just a grumpy Gus probably.

Edited by weekevie04

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

I don't think there's any doubt that Farah has been the world's best distance athlete for than last few years. With them being more tactical races the actual times aren't seen as important as in the sprints.

Fair point.

2 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

All, but one of the Scots medals were won in a team event with other Brits. As much as I dislike the Team GB, I'm not that keen on the ''We've got 50 athletes/9medals'' Reporting Scotland parochial stuff either. I'm just a grumpy Gus probably.

The 200m swimming medley was a team of Scots, which I didn't realise until I saw that list. Pretty impressive.