Rio 2016 - Page 13 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

dresage would look a lot less elitist if they wore different outfits...something a bit more modern and sporty....perhaps beach volleyball wear would not be ideal for horseback but something heading towards that....

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giving medals to folk for sports where the animal does most of the work is weird. Why is not horse racing an olympic sport then? Yet horse jumping or worse prancing is ok. Strange. Why not greyhound racing? Yeah yeah I know what you are going to say but we could strap babies into mini saddles and legitimize the whole thing. Boomer phelps could have already earned his first gold. Any other olympic sports involving animals other than horses?

i don't think the horses got their own medals...bit mean after all the work they did...

and yes Third Lanark...i agree...far too many strange and highly minor events...most very very contrived.

the cycling behind a slow old moped being one of the most pointless...

how about a cycling road race all crawling behind Del Boy's Reliant Robin? its pretty much that level of absurdity

Also isn't Phelps actually slower than a lot of other swimmers, for example 50m, 100m, 200m, 400m swim them as fast as you can no stroke restriction who'd win?

looking at the records his butterfly record(200M) is nearly 10 seconds slower than freestyle.

Edited by phart

If you had a 100m final where they all had to 'run' the race with both ankles strapped together 'butterfly' style folk would just laugh but in swimming any mad shit just gets accepted. Dont know about phelps but that would not surprise me.  They nearly dropped the wrestling a few years ago from the 'core' games and that made me think... it was part of the games when it was the original games in the years listed as B.C.!

Yet synchro swimming is in. And folk running about with ribbons on the end of a stick. Naw.

I would not give a feck normally but after the recent years of anti russia western media with them 'being on the drugs' pish endlessly repeated is it not a bit odd that little GB is now second! in the medals table. Sure 2012 GB was at home so you'd expect a surge but suddenly we are second away from home? If China is full of drug cheats how are we ahead of them when their population dwarf's ours?

10 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

How many different types of rowing are their? I keep thinking "I already watched that event".

More fun to combine events tbh.

Horses wind surfing, or badminton with javelins. 

I'd watch that.

Arm wrestling is more of a sport than dancing with ribbons. If they're going down that route they may as well bring in ballroom dancing, disco or break dancing.

They could think about bringing in staring, the recurring cartoon in Big Train a few years back.

2 hours ago, buckielugger said:

and yes Third Lanark...i agree...far too many strange and highly minor events...most very very contrived.

the cycling behind a slow old moped being one of the most pointless...

how about a cycling road race all crawling behind Del Boy's Reliant Robin? its pretty much that level of absurdity

Finn has been a race at Olympics since the 50s so not exactly contrived. GB has won it 4 Olympics in a row now. 

Keirin (your "moped" race) has been on go since 2000. Hoy won it 2 Olympics in a row. Is/was a massive attraction in Japan. In only know that due to them mentioning it when discussing the women's one other night.

23 hours ago, neilser said:

He proved himself to be a chippy ar5ehole after the road race at the 2012 games - the interviewer asked him an innocuous question about the race and got a sneering response from the guy. He's totally up himself - am delighted he didn't get the gold just now.

If that's the interview Cavendish did with the BBC sports correspondent David Bond after the road race he was quite right to be chippy with him. Bond obviously knew nothing about cycling and was asking stupid questions including whether Cavendish was too tired after riding the Tour de France, ignoring the fact that Vinokourov who won the road race had also raced the TDF. Cavendish proved the point by winning a race on the continent the next day.

I see Jill Douglas has been wheeled out to add to the ridiculous amount of BBC Olympic presenters line up.

A massive vocal uncle tom nawbag that there ever was ...... 

14 minutes ago, Jaggy Jim said:

If that's the interview Cavendish did with the BBC sports correspondent David Bond after the road race he was quite right to be chippy with him. Bond obviously knew nothing about cycling and was asking stupid questions including whether Cavendish was too tired after riding the Tour de France, ignoring the fact that Vinokourov who won the road race had also raced the TDF. Cavendish proved the point by winning a race on the continent the next day.

He was getting interviewed on national TV in the first few days of the Olympics - it would have been easy enough to smile and point out that it wasn't an issue. He's a graceless twatt.

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

I would not give a feck normally but after the recent years of anti russia western media with them 'being on the drugs' pish endlessly repeated is it not a bit odd that little GB is now second! in the medals table. Sure 2012 GB was at home so you'd expect a surge but suddenly we are second away from home? If China is full of drug cheats how are we ahead of them when their population dwarf's ours?

I think you'd have to do a sport by sport analysis to answer that one, although China has obviously not had the same sort of successes as GB in rowing, cycling, sailing etc.  However I think it's misleading that GB is 'little'. The UK has one of the largest populations in one of the most prosperous parts of the world and that allows the UK to maximise human and economic resources in a way that few other countries can.  Added to this financial clout allows recruitment of world class coaches and the winning mentality that has been built up in the likes of rowing and cycling and GBs  successes should not be too much of a surprise to anyone

1 minute ago, Hertsscot said:

I think you'd have to do a sport by sport analysis to answer that one, although China has obviously not had the same sort of successes as GB in rowing, cycling, sailing etc.  However I think it's misleading that GB is 'little'. The UK has one of the largest populations in one of the most prosperous parts of the world and that allows the UK to maximise human and economic resources in a way that few other countries can.  Added to this financial clout allows recruitment of world class coaches and the winning mentality that has been built up in the likes of rowing and cycling and GBs  successes should not be too much of a surprise to anyone

There's also been a serious amount of money ploughed into elite sports in the last decade or so from the National Lottery that is starting to pay off. 

22 minutes ago, neilser said:

He was getting interviewed on national TV in the first few days of the Olympics - it would have been easy enough to smile and point out that it wasn't an issue. He's a graceless twatt.

There's a lot of people who like Cav because he doesn't suffer fools. He is a very straightforward guy - if you ask him a stupid question he'll make sure you know it was stupid, but equally he's very honest in interviews. He also points out vehemently to any reporter who calls him English that he's not. I like the guy tbh. 

3 hours ago, thplinth said:

If you had a 100m final where they all had to 'run' the race with both ankles strapped together 'butterfly' style folk would just laugh but in swimming any mad shit just gets accepted. 

I only discovered recently that the butterfly developed as a cheaty way to do the breaststroke quicker,  which was subsequently outlawed but made an event in its own right...

14 minutes ago, biffer said:

There's a lot of people who like Cav because he doesn't suffer fools. He is a very straightforward guy - if you ask him a stupid question he'll make sure you know it was stupid, but equally he's very honest in interviews. He also points out vehemently to any reporter who calls him English that he's not. I like the guy tbh. 

On all the evidence I find him a Kkunt but I suspect he'd appreciate my honesty too.

Edited by neilser