Rio 2016 - Page 16 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, wheres the pies said:

having a wee look at the medals  table canny believe that a country the size of India have the grand sum off 2 medals a silver and a bronze 

Jason Kenny and Laura Trott's flat in Bolton has five golds. 

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

Jason Kenny and Laura Trott's flat in Bolton has five golds. 

Been casing the joint? Top tip, wait for a couple of weeks and there will be more.

16 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Surely the 50km walk is pretty much slow warm down jogging

I suspect you'd  be surprised both how hard it is, and the rate they are going at. There was a guy that used to do the parkrun in Edinburgh (haven't seen him for a while) who wasn't that young, and I'm told not particularly good, that did the 5k run 'walking', if you see what I mean. He usually finished in the top half, meaning that he was quicker than over 200 people who were running it.

Edited by Pool Q

watching Taekwondo guy lose it in final second was gut wrenching...could he not have run away for that last second? 

anyway...

BOLT BOLT BOLT

BOLT BOLT BOLT

BOLT BOLT BOLT 

:):):):):):):):):) 

5 hours ago, Pool Q said:

I suspect you'd  be surprised both how hard it is, and the rate they are going at. There was a guy that used to do the parkrun in Edinburgh (haven't seen him for a while) who wasn't that young, and I'm told not particularly good, that did the 5k run 'walking', if you see what I mean. He usually finished in the top half, meaning that he was quicker than over 200 people who were running it.

Absolutely! I wasn't meaning it in the throw-away way of ''call that an Olympic sport''.

They are brilliant and their times are very good. All built like long-distance runners, and the French guy who holds the world record collapsed a few times/shat himself and finished in about 7th position. It was very interesting, and 3 hrs 30 or so won yesterday's 50km Gold medal just shows you how fast they are going.

My 3mile runs are between 19-21 minutes usually depending on the circumstances, and these guys get 22/23mins. Same with a 10k, my best is 37 minutes and the world record for racewalking is 39:22. Amazing!

10 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Treble treble for Bolt. Amazing run by Japan to take silver though.

Some finish in the mens' taekwondo final, GB guy blew it with 1 second left! He was gutted.

Is that a legal move in taekwondo? :oSounds like a tough sport that.

watching the womens triathlon and for some reason i keep thinking about Queen's Bicycle Race video :) 

the weird thing about the TKD is it's only one of two divergent rule sets used.

Linlithgow's own Julia Cross 6 time world champion and 15(something insane like that) time European champion never got to compete in the Olympics because of the differing governing bodies, unfortunate as she is the most decorated TKD proponent in it's history.

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Mo Farah cruises to the double double.

GB have now won more medals than in London, the first time that's ever happened to a previous host.

Yes great achievement by the sports men and woman at Rio really pleased for the boxer Nicola Adams a real down to earth character with a wonderful smile aswell 

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36691347

3 hours ago, wheres the pies said:

Yes great achievement by the sports men and woman at Rio really pleased for the boxer Nicola Adams a real down to earth character with a wonderful smile aswell 

"I'm now officially the most accomplished amateur boxer Great Britain has ever had. I can't believe it."

Think she is getting a wee bit carried away.

13 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Over 600 amateur fights is unbelievable. Especially in those times when it was much, much harder.

An old coach of mine, Jack Dormer, had over 500 and once told me he fought at 3 different weights in the same night. He would have had his scheduled bout, had a couple of beers after it then got the call that he was needed again as someone was a no show.

Even in his 60's he could hit like a mule.

Poor Jack got a bit punchy though.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/13068751.Jack_Dormer/

Edited by scoobydoo
added link.