Rio 2016 - Page 18 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 minute ago, hannibal smith said:

Must have been last summer, she brought he medals along to the Gorgie kids club at the start of last season and had a chat with my wee one for a bit about being from Perthshire 

She did strike me as a bit of a Jambo/Hun. One of those snooty Kinross types who loves all things Blighty. :P

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

She does look like a Hun right enough. That far away look in her eye gives that away.

Although her old man was a prominent Yes campaigner so there must have been some interesting discussions in the Sharp household...

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Although her old man was a prominent Yes campaigner so there must have been some interesting discussions in the Sharp household...

Sharp has been getting it tight on social media from the South Africans about her comments on their gold medalist. 

18 hours ago, Toepoke said:

From a self interest point of view Eilidh now has an Olympic medal she probably wouldn't have got representing Scotland.  You can see why from that perspective so many Scottish Team GB members are opposed to competing separately.

That womens' 4x400 team would be a dentists dream btw...

3773B80100000578-3751153-image-a-74_1471

is the one on the far right even a human?

what a munter

On 22/08/2016 at 5:42 AM, phart said:

That's just a crazy amount of bouts. Don't make them like that anymore!

For sure. If you were an amateur for 10 years, say, That is one a week, every week. Without headgear and with proper sized gloves its no wonder guys got punchy.

For folks that don't know, you generally spar and train without heavier gloves than you fight with. 

I remember the first time I used competition gloves, a week or so before my first fight. Arms felt lighter and quicker but then you get hit and it's like " me, what was that".

Guys like Dick McTaggert and Jack Dormer would do little sparring and lots of fighting.

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

For sure. If you were an amateur for 10 years, say, That is one a week, every week. Without headgear and with proper sized gloves its no wonder guys got punchy.

For folks that don't know, you generally spar and train without heavier gloves than you fight with. 

I remember the first time I used competition gloves, a week or so before my first fight. Arms felt lighter and quicker but then you get hit and it's like " me, what was that".

Guys like Dick McTaggert and Jack Dormer would do little sparring and lots of fighting.

Same with the pro's back in the day.

SRR after he lost the first fight to Lamotta, fought him again 3 weeks later with a tune up in between.

I didn't realise that Dick McTaggert won the Val Barker, wow!

My Gran's cousin was scottish featherweight champion and it was his hands that went that thankfully shortened his career. Still managed 54 bouts in 6 years though: his first 5 fights were in less than a month.

http://boxrec.com/boxer/16360

Edited by phart

The UK press has not given much attention to a couple of Scots who are World Champions (none of your bronze medal tosh*), maybe because they can't wrap a union flag around it.  Alan Clyne and Greg Lobban winnng the pairs last week down in Oz.

Alan Clyne and Greg Lobban take centre stage with their gold medals

* this remark is of course tongue in cheek as I woudl be delighted to win an Olympic Bronze in just about anything

Edited by Hertsscot

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

The UK press has not given much attention to a couple of Scots who are World Champions (none of your bronze medal tosh*), maybe because they can't wrap a union flag around it.  Alan Clyne and Greg Lobban winnng the pairs last week down in Oz.

Alan Clyne and Greg Lobban take centre stage with their gold medals

* this remark is of course tongue in cheek as I woudl be delighted to win an Olympic Bronze in just about anything

Beautiful stuff, imagine seeing that at the Olympics - the ol' blue Scotland and our flag flying.

Well done to Alan and Greg. Squash is a great game.

20 hours ago, phart said:

Same with the pro's back in the day.

SRR after he lost the first fight to Lamotta, fought him again 3 weeks later with a tune up in between.

I didn't realise that Dick McTaggert won the Val Barker, wow!

My Gran's cousin was scottish featherweight champion and it was his hands that went that thankfully shortened his career. Still managed 54 bouts in 6 years though: his first 5 fights were in less than a month.

http://boxrec.com/boxer/16360

Some interesting places he fought in too.

46 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

And probably more 'played' (if that is the right word) than synchronised swimming.

It's certainly been a strange omission from the Olympics over the years. 

Maybe because it's not the best suited sport for spectators? 

Far far more play darts....darts has to be in the Olympics!