Oliver Burke - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oliver Burke

ceudmilefailte

Article in Nottingham Post

http://www.nottinghampost.com/nottingham-forest-winger-oliver-burke-wants-to-play-key-role-in-scotland-s-world-cup-bid/story-29525044-detail/story.html

Bit more positive than many on here

You tube link to recent goal here, pace from midfield would make a change. Reckon if not worth a start he would make a great impact sub.

Goal is at about 3:15

Edited by ceudmilefailte

Definitely seems to be in Strachan's plans, Given Strachan wanting to avoid playing too many kids against France and Italy, Burke's 20 minutes against Italy is a very good sign.

We all know what a difference having Anya's pace on the left made, pushing teams back up the park where before they they could comfortably overload us as we had no pace to counter-attack. Burke slotting in on the right will add more to our ability to do that.

WGS has experimented a little with Forrest down the middle as well, so I'd curious to see if that's what we end up with. Anya, Forrest and Burke all feeding off Fletcher's hold up play. I know many don't rate Forrest due to club performances, but he's not done much wrong in a Scotland shirt lately, and those 3 offer a serious amount of pace and would signal a change in how we play. Could be interesting.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Definitely seems to be in Strachan's plans, Given Strachan wanting to avoid playing too many kids against France and Italy, Burke's 20 minutes against Italy is a very good sign.

We all know what a difference having Anya's pace on the left made, pushing teams back up the park where before they they could comfortably overload us as we had no pace to counter-attack. Burke slotting in on the right will add more to our ability to do that.

WGS has experimented a little with Forrest down the middle as well, so I'd curious to see if that's what we end up with. Anya, Forrest and Burke all feeding off Fletcher's hold up play. I know many don't rate Forrest due to club performances, but he's not done much wrong in a Scotland shirt lately, and those 3 offer a serious amount of pace and would signal a change in how we play. Could be interesting.

Snodgrass will be almost certainly be one of the first names on the team sheet taking up one of those 3 positions. As for Forrest, he's had to many chances and not delivered, would have Burke ahead of him at the moment.

16 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

Snodgrass will be almost certainly be one of the first names on the team sheet taking up one of those 3 positions. As for Forrest, he's had to many chances and not delivered, would have Burke ahead of him at the moment.

I don't know about Burke as he hasn't done anything yet in a poor Forest team let alone international standard.

Snodgrass will def give us something different. We all know that Forest can be a good player but has not been good enough in the Scotland shirt for a whole game. A lot of people are not including Ritchie and i think GS will play him he got better for us the more he played.

Snodgrass would be one of the first in the team for me as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw those 3 lining up at some point.

For me, Ritchie's for a different kind of game. Maybe for the games where the opponent is just going to sit back and try and counter us. He keeps possession well and it's afraid to have a shot from outside (with generally a decent return). If we're the ones playing counter-attack then I don't think he's as effective, and that's where you'd want someone with Burke's pace.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Snodgrass would be one of the first in the team for me as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw those 3 lining up at some point.

For me, Ritchie's for a different kind of game. Maybe for the games where the opponent is just going to sit back and try and counter us. He keeps possession well and it's afraid to have a shot from outside (with generally a decent return). If we're the ones playing counter-attack then I don't think he's as effective, and that's where you'd want someone with Burke's pace.

Ritchie doesn't keep possession well. In fact, I'd say he gives it away more than any Scotland regular that I can remember. I'd still have him in and around the team because he has other strengths but keeping the ball isn't one of them. 

9 hours ago, andyD said:

I'm not too sure how many games for Forest Burke has actually started.  It may well be his role at this stage in his development is more of an impact player coming on as a sub rather than being on from the start.

Edited by Hertsscot

19 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Ritchie doesn't keep possession well. In fact, I'd say he gives it away more than any Scotland regular that I can remember. I'd still have him in and around the team because he has other strengths but keeping the ball isn't one of them. 

You musn't have met Gary Caldwell or Charlie Mulgrew.