Brian McClair Leaves SFA - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Brian McClair Leaves SFA

jailender

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

seems he wasn't up to doing presentations and so on. I'd get Cathro in immediately.

Surely Cathro would be in exactly the same position, as he's a coach, just like McClair.

The problem seems to have been that they've appointed a coach to a non-coaching role. The performance director seems to essentially be a negotiator, it's not like he travels around the country coaching kids. So basically i'd avoid appointing a coach to the position, but put someone in with the skill-set to talk to a persuade clubs of the best way of doing things and have that person assisted by a panel of coaches who have day jobs. like have a meeting once every couple of months with coaches like strachan, mcclair, cathro, moyes, hartley, neilson,etc and share ideas on youth development. than panel feeds into the performance director who then goes and talks to the boardrooms, to advise them on how best to help themselves.

if we just appoint another coach and hope he's better with powerpoints, then are we not avoiding the problem and not doing the job we should do?

7 minutes ago, andyD said:

Surely Cathro would be in exactly the same position, as he's a coach, just like McClair.

The problem seems to have been that they've appointed a coach to a non-coaching role. The performance director seems to essentially be a negotiator, it's not like he travels around the country coaching kids. So basically i'd avoid appointing a coach to the position, but put someone in with the skill-set to talk to a persuade clubs of the best way of doing things and have that person assisted by a panel of coaches who have day jobs. like have a meeting once every couple of months with coaches like strachan, mcclair, cathro, moyes, hartley, neilson,etc and share ideas on youth development. than panel feeds into the performance director who then goes and talks to the boardrooms, to advise them on how best to help themselves.

if we just appoint another coach and hope he's better with powerpoints, then are we not avoiding the problem and not doing the job we should do?

Ask them to do a PowerPoint at interview. The content is also important.

34 minutes ago, allyc said:

Must have missed supping the special brew and sleeping in bus shelters too much.

Indeed. The guy looks like an absolute jakey. 

It looked a terrible appointment when he got the job and so it has been proven. A waste of time and of our money. 

It said in reports that he struggled getting the SFA directive through to the clubs

I just assumed that the clubs were ignoring the SFA directives or not interested which wouldnt be surprising

He did have a good record in developing players at Man Utd by all accounts

Dont know anything else about him or any scandals

12 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

It said in reports that he struggled getting the SFA directive through to the clubs

I just assumed that the clubs were ignoring the SFA directives or not interested which wouldnt be surprising

He did have a good record in developing players at Man Utd by all accounts

Dont know anything else about him or any scandals

What players did he help bring through? I can't think of many in recent years at Man Utd. 

15 minutes ago, Parklife said:

What players did he help bring through? I can't think of many in recent years at Man Utd. 

I'd imagine all these players came through the academy while McClair was in charge.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-pogba-euro-2016-11418290

Most successful academy in England apparantly.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-academy-most-prolific-10772834

Edited by aaid