Football calendar and Euro disasters - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Football calendar and Euro disasters

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, deecie said:

Shouldn't underestimate how good a result the 3rd best team in our 2nd division going to Denmark and getting a 1-0 win is.

Indeed, terrific result. I'm not that bothered, I'd say we had the moral victory (offside goal chalked off at ER and a team intent in booting Hibs off the park), yet we were a pish John McGinn penalty from sudden death.

its all about the league, and on that performance against top opposition I'm feeling confident. Now we will see how a Lennon team squares up to 11 cloggers strung out and dug into trenches going for the draw.

J

21 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Yes.

Ventspilis went marching through. Oh, wait...

But don't you realise that a team finishing 3rd in our 2nd tier should be knocking out the team who finished 4th in the Danish Superliga regardless?

You talk like the Danish Superliga is like La Liga. I've been to games in Denmark and it's around the same level, if not worse, than the SPFL Premiership. Fair play to Hibs who put up a good battle and were unfortunate but we absolutely should aspire to beat teams like BrondbyĀ who are no better than what we produce.

5 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

You talk like the Danish Superliga is like La Liga. I've been to games in Denmark and it's around the same level, if not worse, than the SPFL Premiership. Fair play to Hibs who put up a good battle and were unfortunate but we absolutely should aspire to beat teams like BrondbyĀ who are no better than what we produce.

Do you think the Hibs result should be classed as one of the Scottish Euro disasters? That's what the OP and some others I've seen are implying...

17 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Do you think the Hibs result should be classed as one of the Scottish Euro disasters? That's what the OP and some others I've seen are implying...

No it'sĀ not a disaster. The tie was certainly closer than I expected.

Hearts, on the other hand...

Edited by thewolf_1980

2 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

the Hibs resultĀ in isolation is not a disaster, but added to those of the last 20 years (Old FirmĀ aside to some of extent) it's utterlyĀ depressing, as is the reaction here. We're better than this ffs!

Edited by er yir macaroon

Think Celtic are going out here, this team look like they could score a couple more, celtic on the other hand don't look like they could score in a brothel!!

Craig Gordon kept them in it there. Certainly with one save. Couldn't quite make out if he made a save at his near post or it actually hit the post. This mob were always going to be a tougher test. Unbeaten at home in the Group Stages I'm sure I read somewhere?Ā 

8 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Craig Gordon kept them in it there. Certainly with one save. Couldn't quite make out if he made a save at his near post or it actually hit the post. This mob were always going to be a tougher test. Unbeaten at home in the Group Stages I'm sure I read somewhere?Ā 

Yeah, think they drew 4/6 in champs league group, all 3 home games against Atletico Madrid and 2 others.

1 minute ago, SMcoolJ said:

1-1. Celtic deserved that. Roberts is very good - hope he gets recalled soon!! Ā Dembele not so much, looks average.Ā 

Deserved it? They've been 2nd best for the vast majority of the game and have barely had an attempt on goalĀ 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Deserved it? They've been 2nd best for the vast majority of the game and have barely had an attempt on goalĀ 

Not sure I agree. They've controlled for decentĀ spells in this game. I think it's just that you know how bad they are at the back you think Astana will score as soon as they cross the half way line.Ā 

1 minute ago, SMcoolJ said:

1-1. Celtic deserved that. Roberts is very good - hope he gets recalled soon!! Ā Dembele not so much, looks average.Ā 

10 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Not sure I agree. They've controlled for decentĀ spells in this game. I think it's just that you know how bad they are at the back you think Astana will score as soon as they cross the half way line.Ā 

Apart from the first 10 minutes they've been second best for pretty much the whole game. Astana have had enough good chances to win 2 games.Ā 

Very good result against a team are a danger.

Our defence is still very weak. Dembele looks a great buy so far.....not.

We are handicapped by being 'undercooked' compared to them as they are 20 games into their season so tonight is a satisfying result in general.

Ā 

9 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Apart from the first 10 minutes they've been second best for pretty much the whole game. Astana have had enough good chances to win 2 games.Ā 

NirĀ Biton made a huge difference to Celtic when he came on, that changed the flow of the game in my view, as did Patrick Roberts actually finding a team mate in the penalty box instead of being a clone of Aiden McGeady.

Agree that AstanaĀ had the opportunities but they didn't take them. Similarly, with this result, Celtic have given themselves a fine opportunity. Up to them to take it though.

On a related subject, Michael Stewart is a decent co-commentator.

Edited by Barney Rubble

1 minute ago, macy37 said:

Very good result against a team are a danger.

Our defence is still very weak. Dembele looks a great buy so far.....not.

We are handicapped by being 'undercooked' compared to them as they are 20 games into their season so tonight is a satisfying result in general.

Ā 

It's a very good result given the balance of play. The worrying thing for you, which I suppose will be a common theme, is the amount of clear cut chances they had. You can't think you will get away with that twice.Ā 

That lot are a tidy side, no question.Ā 

Ā