Football calendar and Euro disasters - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Football calendar and Euro disasters

On 23/07/2016 at 7:02 PM, er yir macaroon said:

the Hibs result in isolation is not a disaster, but added to those of the last 20 years (Old Firm aside to some of extent) it's utterly depressing, as is the reaction here. We're better than this ffs!

Aberdeen making the last 32 of the Europa 8 years ago is utterly depressing?

Hearts have also played in the Europa League group stages in the last 10 years or so. 

The sheer number of teams involved now makes it exceptionally hard for teams to make the Group Stages. 

Think it's something like 154 teams in the qualifying rounds competing for 22 places as the rest are already awarded to leagues with the highest coefficients and CL drop outs. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A decent draw against a decent side although we should scrape past next week.

Quite why Rodgers doesn't seem to fancy Rogic is beyond me, the difference he and Biton made was vast. Brown once again was atrocious as were McGregor and Armstrong. Efe played very well and again showed that he is a good defender and good passer of the ball when he wants to be.

1 minute ago, Rossy said:

Sorry, the phone rang when I was typing there...:lol:

Zonal marking from corners and free-kicks, that's what I meant.

haha, I was wondering what you were on about. To be fair, we've been using zonal defence since strachan was here but even if we reverted to man for man, we will still lose goals from set pieces all season.

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

Very good result against a team are a danger.

Our defence is still very weak. Dembele looks a great buy so far.....not.

We are handicapped by being 'undercooked' compared to them as they are 20 games into their season so tonight is a satisfying result in general.

Judgie judgie after 2 games!

1 minute ago, wembley67lisbon said:

Good to get the away goal and hopefully should qualify next week. Who can we get in the last qualifier? Was a makeshift defence, so not the worst result at all. 

Don't disagree with any of that, but the number of goals you lot have lost from corners in Europe recently has to be a concern, no??

Craig Gordon again did not look clever tonight.

24 minutes ago, wembley67lisbon said:

Good to get the away goal and hopefully should qualify next week. Who can we get in the last qualifier? Was a makeshift defence, so not the worst result at all. 

Without looking at results in this round it would be one of

BATE Borisov

Legia Warsaw

Ludogorets

Dinamo Zagreb

FC Copenhagen

21 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Don't disagree with any of that, but the number of goals you lot have lost from corners in Europe recently has to be a concern, no??

Craig Gordon again did not look clever tonight.

He is a major issue for me, and if it wasn't Craig Gordon (reputation) I think we would seriously be looking at other options. 

We need a centre mid who can create things, like a lubo or a petrov. Despite having loads in that position, I'm not sure Christie or Allan will fit the bill. Had hopes for rogic after last season but Brendan clearly doesn't rate him, perhaps down to fitness.

2 hours ago, wembley67lisbon said:

He is a major issue for me, and if it wasn't Craig Gordon (reputation) I think we would seriously be looking at other options. 

We need a centre mid who can create things, like a lubo or a petrov. Despite having loads in that position, I'm not sure Christie or Allan will fit the bill. Had hopes for rogic after last season but Brendan clearly doesn't rate him, perhaps down to fitness.

Haven't seen that much of Rogic but he has always impressed when I have seen him. Brown is back to being keech though so you're going to need a new captain shortly.

Thought Tierney was excellent and the young centre half also did really well. 

All in all a good result considering this mob don't win away from home in Europe. Think it should be a done deal now.

13 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Nir Biton made a huge difference to Celtic when he came on, that changed the flow of the game in my view, as did Patrick Roberts actually finding a team mate in the penalty box instead of being a clone of Aiden McGeady.

Agree that Astana had the opportunities but they didn't take them. Similarly, with this result, Celtic have given themselves a fine opportunity. Up to them to take it though.

On a related subject, Michael Stewart is a decent co-commentator.

I actually text my mate saying that Celtic needed to hook Dembele for a midfielder who'd help them get a grip of the ball and protect the defence. Then Biton came on and Celtic looked much better. I'm a tactical genius ;) 

Good result for Celtic, gives them a fine chance of making the play off round. 

11 hours ago, wembley67lisbon said:

Ffs. 

Come on, it's hardly Barcelona and AC Milan.  If you can't beat one of those lot then you don't deserve to qualify.

And I'm not suggesting they're pish - but if you have aspirations of doing well in Europe you need to be able to take care of BATE Borisov.

Edited by adamntg

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

Come on, it's hardly Barcelona and AC Milan.  If you can't beat one of those lot then you don't deserve to qualify.

And I'm not suggesting they're pish - but if you have aspirations of doing well in Europe you need to be able to take care of BATE Borisov.

I don't know any Celtic fan who has aspirations of doing well in europe. If we make the champions league I'd be delighted with a couple of points and to get out of there without being humiliated.

2 hours ago, adamntg said:

I think those 5 plus Celtic are much of a muchness. It wouldn't surprise for Celtic to beat any of those or likewise get knocked out by any of those sides listed.

Ludogorets are the only one who are probably not favs to go through to the next round at the moment, a 2-2 draw at home to Red Star means they probably need to win in Belgrade. Although BATE Borisov only won 1-0 at home v Dundalk. 

On 27 July 2016 at 5:43 PM, AberdeenAngus said:

Aberdeen making the last 32 of the Europa 8 years ago is utterly depressing?

Hearts have also played in the Europa League group stages in the last 10 years or so. 

The sheer number of teams involved now makes it exceptionally hard for teams to make the Group Stages. 

Think it's something like 154 teams in the qualifying rounds competing for 22 places as the rest are already awarded to leagues with the highest coefficients and CL drop outs. 

Your sights are so low you're in danger of shooting yourself in the foot. 8 years ago ffs. You've won European trophies. Don't accept this mince.