24 hour news and social media - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

24 hour news and social media

So Friday, hard week at work chill out with a few beers in the garden, radio on 5 live. Usually some drivel about football, cricket or politicians whining on about something or another. This time the Munich attack 'live'. Almost everything that was reported was wrong.They kept stressing they were only reporting credible sources (Stephen Nolan, what a cnut, he should be ashamed  the questions he asked). 3 attackers with long rifles on the run, interviewed loads of security experts giving way out theories, all crap. Was social media more accurate, cos the implication was that there were loads of wild rumours floating about but the Beeb were reporting the truth.

When ever there is a "live" fast moving news siory, the best thing to do is assume that 90% of information, from either social or news media is either inaccurate, speculative or both and not to jump to any sort of conclusions until such time as you start to get independently verifiable facts. 

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

When ever there is a "live" fast moving news siory, the best thing to do is assume that 90% of information, from either social or news media is either inaccurate, speculative or both and not to jump to any sort of conclusions until such time as you start to get independently verifiable facts. 

Yep, was just wondering if social media was more accurate than 'mainstream media,  it' cos it was a mile off.

I always avoid watching 'social media video' cos I'm not that interested in watching people being cnuts to one another but I did see the vid of the Munich attacker with a gun shooting people, after the fact, but did social media get that before the 'authorities' or 'credible' news agencies.

39 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Yep, was just wondering if social media was more accurate than 'mainstream media,  it' cos it was a mile off.

I always avoid watching 'social media video' cos I'm not that interested in watching people being cnuts to one another but I did see the vid of the Munich attacker with a gun shooting people, after the fact, but did social media get that before the 'authorities' or 'credible' news agencies.

I'm not on Facebook or Twitter but it's used on news sites and most of the stuff I saw turned out to be rubbish. On the whole it's from people who aren't near the incidents or from family/loved ones of people involved who are probably highly stressed and therefore in panic mode. There was a story a few weeks ago, they had the 911 recordings on it, where a hotel receptionist called her dad and sister in a panic about an Arab wearing traditional dress, having multiple phones and pledging allegiance "to something". Her sister then her dad called 911 , police turned up pointing guns at this man who was just trying to book a room as he was receiving hospital treatment in the city. As he was on the ground, terrified and eventually passing out I'm sure her family and friends were tweeting and facebooking to spread the nonsense story. Rolling news means they have to fill air space and usually that means experts. Sadly as they don't know the reality of the situation the experts may be expert on something that has hee haw to do with the situation. 

Ive just remembered being told it was a Pakistani looking man driving the Glasgow bin lorry. When I asked where they'd seen this I was told it was Facebook and they truly believed it as a pal had told them.  Oh and not forgetting how many times I was told at Christmas not to go to Silverburn as a man/woman had returned a brown man/woman's purse/wallet and the brown person told them not to visit silverburn that Saturday. Heard it after 9/11 too but it was a Jewish man who found the wallet. I love that people believe bombers are willing to kill and maim indiscriminately but are broken down to tell the truth due to not having their wallet knocked.

I now believe nothing I hear.

This has caused problems when I cross at the red man and ignore car horns. 

I pine for the old days when, if some random lunatic killed people on the continent, you only heard about it 4 days later by reading page 14 of The Courier.

Now, the insanity of the world is right in your living room all day, every day.

It's very depressing.

Got the Sunday Times yesterday, it felt great to actually read a proper paper.  Kind of forgot what it was like.  Didn't know what was going to be on the next page.

social media seems to consume people.  I think we are storing up major social mental disorders in the next decades which comes from using facebook, twitter.  People seem to get addicted to these and their phones and it's not talked about.  

Taking pictures of every single event in your life is not healthy.  I know it's said a lot but it's getting worse.  Human instinct to show off it seems.