Wages - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

5 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Picking up on another thread and Celtic's interest in Scott Sinclair.  I guess there's bit of speculation in this but what are wages like in the SPL nowadays and how do they compare to the Championship or Div 1 and 2 In England?

I think you need to differentiate between Scottish Premiership wages and what Celtic and Rangers are paying...

Without digging too much. I know Motherwell's has gone down since then.

Scotland in 2013/2014

Average annual pay Average weekly pay
Celtic £901,943 £17,345
Aberdeen £140,699 £2,706
Hibernian £102,199 £1,965
Dundee United £91,538 £1,760
St Mirren £78,447 £1,509
Kilmarnock £74,981 £1,442
St Johnstone £67,999 £1,308
Motherwell £67,639 £1,301
Hearts £63,999 £1,231
Inverness CT £53,690 £1,033
Partick Thistle £45,498 £875
Ross County £36,000 £692

England

3167EF3100000578-0-image-a-32_1456008078

Edited by Donaldo87

Yes and I guess it always has been that way certainly in living memory.  I would imagine that Celtic would be offering significantly more than Rangers but in comparison to the EPL both of them would struggle to get anywhere near matching the wages of giants like Bournemeouth or Swansea.

I believe, top earners at Motherwell are on £2000 a week, maybe slightly more. Think that's pretty much the norm across other teams, with the obvious exceptions, plus Abereeen, Hearts and hibs being slightly more, maybe Ross county aswell.

24 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

Scotland in 2013/2014

Celtic £901,943 £17,345
Aberdeen £140,699 £2,706
St Mirren £78,447 £1,509
Hearts £63,999 £1,231
Ross County £36,000 £692

England

There's no way anybody at the famous is on £2.7k, never mind it being the average.

24 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

Scotland in 2013/2014

Celtic £901,943 £17,345
Aberdeen £140,699 £2,706
St Mirren £78,447 £1,509
Hearts £63,999 £1,231
Ross County £36,000 £692

England

That English graphic is a cracker.

So lower league wages have risen 5 to 6 times (probably similar to here).

Championship wages have risen 20 times and Premier League 70 times!

3 minutes ago, adamntg said:

How can the English average be less than the average for League Two?

Also - how did Celtic manage to win the league on such meagre resources?

Had another read of the article that I got it from and apparently that's the average household income in England in general

Edited by Donaldo87

Guest BlueGaz
1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Yes and I guess it always has been that way certainly in living memory.  I would imagine that Celtic would be offering significantly more than Rangers but in comparison to the EPL both of them would struggle to get anywhere near matching the wages of giants like Bournemeouth or Swansea.

They would if they were in that league.  I don't think you can compare the two.  Like comparing apples with pears.  

There is no chance Ross County are the lowest average.

I'd also be amazed if we average £1400 p/w. Boyd was/is our highest earner on 2k and i'd be amazed if there are any more than say 4 or 5 on £1400 pw.

Boyd, McDonald, Magennis, Smith, Dicker and potentially Kiltie/McKenzie will be the only ones north of say £1200 p/'w, 

We had guys in the first team last season who were on £500-600 pw basic.

3 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I'm glad I made it as a Sparkie and don't  have to play for Ross County......

ha ha  - wonder what Formartine are paying  - they were meant to be on good money a few years back 

Dodd's used to be on GBP5K 20 years ago  

9 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

ha ha  - wonder what Formartine are paying  - they were meant to be on good money a few years back 

Dodd's used to be on GBP5K 20 years ago  

Derek Young is about to sign for them. 

Doesnt the chairman give them proper jobs too?

3 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

They would if they were in that league.  I don't think you can compare the two.  Like comparing apples with pears.  

I wasn't really looking for a comparison more of a contrast ( if that makes sense).  When you see the graphics that Donaldo87 has provided it just shows how difficult it is for Scottish clubs to hold on to their top talent and how difficult it is for Scottish clubs to attract talent from down south. 

Interesting though that three out of the five biggest wage spenders in 2013/14 are no longer in the top flight!

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Derek Young is about to sign for them. 

Doesnt the chairman give them proper jobs too?

think so - think Darren Mackie had a job there 

was Zander Diamond, Jamie Winter not there a short spell as well - also had a decent goalie as well who i cant remember name

13 hours ago, deecie said:

There's no way anybody at the famous is on £2.7k, never mind it being the average.

it is a week (is football the one of the last industries to still pay weekly) and presumably before tax. therefore an average monthly net income of £7k would seem about right for Aberdeen I reckon.

(note how I wrote "Aberdeen" and not "famous" and thereby avoided everyone automatically thinking "boring whanker" when reading this - though to be fair they could have arrived at this conclusion through other means.

Edited by Return of Yermaw
now swear words are removed entirely without the comical replacement words........

3 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

it is a week (is football the one of the last industries to still pay weekly) and presumably before tax. therefore an average monthly net income of £7k would seem about right for Aberdeen I reckon.

(note how I wrote "Aberdeen" and not "famous" and thereby avoided everyone automatically thinking "boring whanker" when reading this - though to be fair they could have arrived at this conclusion through other means.

Nah. Our top players are on ~£2k per week. The average can't be higher than that.

11 hours ago, euan2020 said:

think so - think Darren Mackie had a job there 

was Zander Diamond, Jamie Winter not there a short spell as well - also had a decent goalie as well who i cant remember name

Zander wasn't. 

Jamie Winter was, I think. 

Derek Soutar the keeper you are thinking of?

I know of a young lad who left our club and went up into league two he got £30,000 a year basic with bonus's he could have earned double. I read an article last year that said the average wage in the English league one was £80,000 a year it didn't say whether that included bonus's or not.I have heard that there are a few clubs in conference north with playing budgets of between £8,000 and £10,000 a week although a couple have gone full time this year ( AFC Fylde and Nuneaton ).Deloitte's do an annual report on football finance which is mind boggling but good reading(sorry i don't know how to do links).

Ian

43 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Stuart McCall said when he was at Motherwell that we lost out on a player to a conference side, as the conference side were offering more money.

A former manager of our did a list of what the playing budgets of the teams getting promoted from the conference were and there wasn't one under a million.you also have to take into account signing on fees.We had a lad last pre season who was offered a wage we couldn't match so a couple of directors gave him a signing on fee to make up the difference.i believe a lot of this goes on in footballs lower leagues where they have a strict playing budget but entice players by giving them signing on fees.

Ian

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Stuart McCall said when he was at Motherwell that we lost out on a player to a conference side, as the conference side were offering more money.

The Conference sides get average crowds comparable with the Scottish Championship (http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/aveengnl.htm) and have a TV deal with (I think) Premier Sports so, depressingly, their income streams won't be that dissimilar to Scottish teams like Motherwell.

8 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

The Conference sides get average crowds comparable with the Scottish Championship (http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/aveengnl.htm) and have a TV deal with (I think) Premier Sports so, depressingly, their income streams won't be that dissimilar to Scottish teams like Motherwell.

I suppose the towns these clubs represent are probably comparable in size to Motherwell too.

in fact a crude Google/Wikipedia search looks like only Forrest Green and North Ferriby United (who?) in the conference are from towns smaller than Motherwell.