Wages - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

20 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

The Conference sides get average crowds comparable with the Scottish Championship (http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/aveengnl.htm) and have a TV deal with (I think) Premier Sports so, depressingly, their income streams won't be that dissimilar to Scottish teams like Motherwell.

The conference tv deal is with BT and i don't think that the clubs get a great amount of actual cash.you are right about the attendances though i think half the clubs are former football league clubs.Even in conference north we have 5 or 6 clubs who can get 1500 + regularly

Ian

14 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I suppose the towns these clubs represent are probably comparable in size to Motherwell too.

in fact a crude Google/Wikipedia search looks like only Forrest Green and North Ferriby United (who?) in the conference are from towns smaller than Motherwell.

It's a small town near Glasgow. Not terrible for an afternoon.

6 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Zander wasn't. 

Jamie Winter was, I think. 

Derek Soutar the keeper you are thinking of?

I've got a good memory - 4 appearances

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Winter

I was thinking of the other "plug" - 13 appearances

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_McGuire_(footballer)

I though Derek Young was there before, and was looking for his name, and he signed yesterday ........... 

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/formartine-duo-highland-league-young-ferries/

You are right about Souttar, but something at back of my mind thinks they signed a keeper from aberdeenshire who played for a glasgow or south of scotland team 

sure there are more they have recruited with the job offer 

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I suppose the towns these clubs represent are probably comparable in size to Motherwell too.

in fact a crude Google/Wikipedia search looks like only Forrest Green and North Ferriby United (who?) in the conference are from towns smaller than Motherwell.

A cracking little side from just outside Hull.

Average about 400 fans a game which isn't bad for a town or rather village of less than 4,000 population, especially with a Championship/Premiership team less than 10 miles away.

They've overachieved of late winning the FA Trophy last year beating Wrexham in the final after being 2-0 down with less than 1/4hr to go.

A certain Louis Moult, (who?) :P scored for Wrexham.

Following promotion they'll be playing in the National League this season (the 5th tier of English football).

I used to frequent the Duke of Cumberland pub in N. Ferriby where Mick Ronson played his last gig before joining Bowie & where Be Bop Deluxe played their first. :)

32 minutes ago, silverbear said:

A cracking little side from just outside Hull.

Average about 400 fans a game which isn't bad for a town or rather village of less than 4,000 population, especially with a Championship/Premiership team less than 10 miles away.

They've overachieved of late winning the FA Trophy last year beating Wrexham in the final after being 2-0 down with less than 1/4hr to go.

A certain Louis Moult, (who?) :P scored for Wrexham.

Following promotion they'll be playing in the National League this season (the 5th tier of English football).

I used to frequent the Duke of Cumberland pub in N. Ferriby where Mick Ronson played his last gig before joining Bowie & where Be Bop Deluxe played their first. :)

the chairman of Ferriby is the son in law of the guy who owns hull city.he cut back on what he was putting into the club so most of the players just took a pay cut and like you said went on to win the fa trophy and gain promotion.the manager jumped ship at the end of the season and went to Halifax town and has taken half the squad with him i think they are in for a long season but good luck to them.isn't the duke the only pub in Ferriby 

Ian

Guest BlueGaz
21 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I wasn't really looking for a comparison more of a contrast ( if that makes sense).  When you see the graphics that Donaldo87 has provided it just shows how difficult it is for Scottish clubs to hold on to their top talent and how difficult it is for Scottish clubs to attract talent from down south. 

Interesting though that three out of the five biggest wage spenders in 2013/14 are no longer in the top flight!

I getcha.  It is totally mental at the moment due to the money pumped into it by Sky and BT isn't it.  For them its not real, they don't have to "earn" it, so spending it will never be an issue.  Sucks for everyone else obviously.  Can you see a Scottish top tier team competing at the top level in the next 10 years? 

15 hours ago, hoofitharder said:

the chairman of Ferriby is the son in law of the guy who owns hull city.he cut back on what he was putting into the club so most of the players just took a pay cut and like you said went on to win the fa trophy and gain promotion.the manager jumped ship at the end of the season and went to Halifax town and has taken half the squad with him i think they are in for a long season but good luck to them.isn't the duke the only pub in Ferriby 

Ian

There's the Sandpiper & N.Ferriby Social Club, also the Swan & Cygnet but that's technically Swanland.