New York & Toronto - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New York & Toronto

Frazerbob

Just starting to plan a family trip to New York & Toronto for Easter. Looking for recommendations on places to visit. I'm thinking fly into one and out the other and possibly visit Philidelphia, Atlantic City or Boston. Anyone done similar who could suggest an itenary. We will be spending a week in Toronto as have friends there. 

Edited by Frazerbob

Been to both.

Toronto was a good few years ago so will let others advise on what to do there but would say that going up the CN Tower and a visit to Niagara Falls is a must.

Did NY earlier this year and crammed quite a bit of the obvious things in.

Went up the Top of the Rock first thing in the morning - superb view over Central Park and Down Town round the other side. Also did the Empire State Building late at night to get a different perspective. If you want to do both  I would advise the Rock in daylight and ESB at night.

We also went up the new Freedom Tower and that in many ways was the highlight of the trip - breathtaking views. 

Free things to do - 

1. Staten Island Ferry - you have to get off and re-board. We had lunch at one of the restaurants at the port though and had decent views of the south of Manhattan.

2. Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. Again fantastic views.

3. Walk in Central Park - it is huge

4. Wander about Grand Central Station - very impressive architecture. There is a good food court in the basement too. Also look out for The Whispering Gallery just off the basement too - google it and give it a go. 

Food wise - one tip if you like pizza is to try Julianna's in Brooklyn - can combine with walking the bridge. Grimaldis is the famous place but Juliannas is next door and is apparently run by the Grimaldi Family who sold their original restaurant only to open next door.

We also went to Ellen's Stardust Diner just off Times Square. Waiters and waitresses are all out of work or aspiring actors/actresses looking to get picked up for a show and they burst into song regularly. You can Youtube it to see if it would be your thing - my Mrs was really keen to go.

The other thing that takes some getting used to is the expected 18% tip - check its not already included on the bill though. In bars 1 dollar a drink is expected - if you stay in the same bar and tip well you can get the 4th one 'free' - we didn't stay in the same place long enough to experience that.

We also did a helicopter tour which we booked before we went - brilliant experience for anyone who has never been in one. 

Edited by AberdeenAngus

10 hours ago, Ormond said:

Keep NYC until the start of April. It's tartan week. I'm taking the Wife. Looking forward to it.

Great shout....that's exactly the weekend I was planning to be in NYC. Other than the parade, what else goes on during Tartan Week?

Toronto might be a bit cold early April otherwise a great place to visit.  Never seen so much variety with regards to food anywhere else and there is a reasonable number of pubs. Did visit the Caledonian  Bar on Whisky tasting night and  I only heard a few Scottish accents. 

Vibrant city that loves it's sport, beaches and diversity. Excellent transport links, no real need for owning a car. My son is living there and loves the lifestyle.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ormond said:

If you can promise me you'll no' be in your hoops I'll let you buy me a pint. Mrs. Ormond and I am booked up for the week then also.

Haha, I only wear the hoops whilst playing or watching. Might bring my Scotland kit seeing as how it's tartan week tho ?

On 7/27/2016 at 5:54 PM, Frazerbob said:

Just starting to plan a family trip to New York & Toronto for Easter. Looking for recommendations on places to visit. I'm thinking fly into one and out the other and possibly visit Philidelphia, Atlantic City or Boston. Anyone done similar who could suggest an itenary. We will be spending a week in Toronto as have friends there. 

should give Wallace a shout when you are there - he stays in Oakville

• 2 months later...

Starting to put this trip together now. I think we are going to grab brunch on the go and book for dinner in the evening. I've already earmarked one Italian place I want to visit. Anyone got any NYC restaurant reviews they'd care to share?

Me & the Wife going to NYC for New Year - anyone any ideas as to the bus company that does the tour of The Bronx, China Town etc etc, heard the Big Bus tour doesn't do that one, obviously we'll be doing Empire state, Brooklyn bridge etc etc. suggestions appreciated :ok:

5 hours ago, slasher said:

Starting to put this trip together now. I think we are going to grab brunch on the go and book for dinner in the evening. I've already earmarked one Italian place I want to visit. Anyone got any NYC restaurant reviews they'd care to share?

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d4397951-Reviews-The_Musket_Room-New_York_City_New_York.html

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d802144-Reviews-Lovely_Day_Restaurant-New_York_City_New_York.html

When I went last year these two places were my favourite and both coincidentally on Elizabeth Street in Manhattan. The Musket Room is a little upmarket, maybe even a tad wanky, but if your taking the missus it's ideal. Food was amazing and we got 2 starters, two mains, two desserts and a bottle of win for about $220 dollars I think. Lovely Day on the other hand is just really tasty thai food at an incredibly reasonable price in a cool wee cafe just down the road. Theres an incredible amount of choice, the beers are great and the service was spot on. There is so much to choose from although my only advice would be to avoid Katz Deli, it's over priced as fuc k and the sandwiches are pish.

On 23 August 2016 at 11:05 PM, euan2020 said:

should give Wallace a shout when you are there - he stays in Oakville

Yeh Scotty will get a shout. Last time I was there he sorted out Leafs tickets for me and took me to some very dodgy bars!

8 hours ago, Frazerbob said:

Yeh Scotty will get a shout. Last time I was there he sorted out Leafs tickets for me and took me to some very dodgy bars!

I guess thosee were Booze Cans as i recall - Lot of good bars on Queen Street west

Thomson can sort you with places to go I imagine since Wallace don't drink anymore

fook - I remember being in the Duke of York in Oakville, and then going up stairs to some boy's flat that felt like a Rangers Pilgirmage theme, with everything all over the walls

Laird kissed some auld gremlin there as well   

Just back from NYC - Amazing. So much to do. I wouldn't know where to start in terms of recommending things to do - just walking about is great. Grand Central is fantastic, and if you're going up the Rock or ESB, I recommend going well early. Staten Island ferry is free - don't listen to the hawkers when you get near. Just go up the stairs and wait for the ferry. They were trying to tell me it took an hour to get to the other side! Tip - everyone rushes out the the bow or stern to look at the statue of liberty, but they all do it on the same level that you go in, so the view can get crowded. Go down a flight of stairs and it's a far better spot for your pictures.

If boozing in Manhattan, consider taking out another mortgage, or try and find a bar doing happy hour. I went with a prejudiced view on the beer - the "beer beer", as opposed to lager, was excellent.

Central Park = fantastic and free. If you go in the South West corner, there is a wee area where they feed all sorts of different birds and you get to see quite a few flying about. If going with kids, you can show them woodpeckers, blue jays, etc. Walk up the main road from there to the natural history museum and you go past the Ghostbusters Building.

St Patrick's Cathedral also worth a visit if you like that sort of thing.

Anyway, there's loads to do and people who know it better will have better tips - this is just turning into a stream of consciousness post!

On 15/11/2016 at 4:06 PM, glasgow jock said:

Me & the Wife going to NYC for New Year - anyone any ideas as to the bus company that does the tour of The Bronx, China Town etc etc, heard the Big Bus tour doesn't do that one, obviously we'll be doing Empire state, Brooklyn bridge etc etc. suggestions appreciated :ok:

This one does. Last time I was there it had 4 or 5 different "loops". One goes up to the Yankee stadium that I think does the Bronx too.. maybe.

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tours/united-states-of-america/new-york.htm

On 29/07/2016 at 10:44 PM, Ormond said:

Keep NYC until the start of April. It's tartan week. I'm taking the Wife. Looking forward to it.

Did it last year for wife's 50th. Was superb. Went with group of friends and registered for the Saturday parade as Guernsey TA. Marched up 6th Avenue singing Scottish songs all the way. Loads of Scottish themed events on all week

• 1 month later...

So far we have booked to go and see Broadway show Wicked and are going up the Empire State probably on the Sunday night. Anyone any thoughts on whether going at night or during the day is better and are the queue busting express tickets worth the money?

Also anyone done the helicopter tour? I really fancy this but it's quite pricey.

Edited by slasher

• 2 months later...

Thinking aboot this in November...want tae be in Niagara the Wednesday night for a birthday 

Friday - Fly tae New York 

4 nights New York 

2 nights Niagara 

2 nights Toronto 

Fly back fae Toronto the following  Saturday landing Sunday 

Got nae idea if that's enough time or if its stretching it too much?

Public transport only 

Good time a year tae go ?

How much of a budget would a be looking at fir that ?

And all the other stuff 

Cheers in advance 

Edited by Tartan_Don

2 hours ago, Tartan_Don said:

Thinking aboot this in November...want tae be in Niagara the Wednesday night for a birthday 

Friday - Fly tae New York 

4 nights New York 

2 nights Niagara 

2 nights Toronto 

Fly back fae Toronto the following  Saturday landing Sunday 

Got nae idea if that's enough time or if its stretching it too much?

Public transport only 

Good time a year tae go ?

How much of a budget would a be looking at fir that ?

And all the other stuff 

Cheers in advance 

Don't stay in Niagara it's a shitehole! Stay instead in Niagara On The Lake a few miles downriver. ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/03/2017 at 2:12 PM, slasher said:

Don't stay in Niagara it's a shitehole! Stay instead in Niagara On The Lake a few miles downriver. ?

Niagara is a shitehole. Niagara on the lake is nice but not sure I'd want two nights there. We just did a day trip from Toronto, which was fine imo.

A Maple Leafs game and the hockey hall of fame worth a visit.