Dugs - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

After months of consideration, I got myself a dog today. A red cattle dog. 9 month old rescue type but happy temperament and fully housetrained. A great wee bitch. Bonnie as anything. I named her Alba. 

What fancy dog breeds are favourites of the TA and any funny tales? 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We recently 'lost' our Sheltie - He'd had 15 (mostly) good years, and it was his time. (The vet actually came to our home to put him to sleep, which was a really nice touch I thought)

Anyway, and putting the sadness to one side, we (my wife mainly) are now considering what our next dog (This is the first time in 30 years together we haven't had a dog) should be.

Medium sized, good temperament, enough energy for decent walks and a breed with a reputation for (generally) behaving!

Tibetan Terrier & Cockapoo are two that have been mentioned - Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations from the TAMB would be welcome!

*Apologies for hijacking this (a wee bit) Ormond....

There are several dog breeds I love with my favourite probably being a northern Inuit. For those that don't know this breed it was used in game of thrones as the dire wolf that the start kids got in the first series. 

Some of the most friendly dogs I have met are breeds that are supposed to be dangerous such as the Doberman that would sit and cuddle into you or the Rottweiler that just wants fussed. And yet some of the most nasty dogs are breads that are seen as safe such as the jack Russell who would bite if you approached it. He would only be friendly with people he knew and then only when he wanted a petting and would come to you. What made it worse was he was the pub landlords dog and was always down in the bar. Got to the point as he would see me in the family home above the pub that he would come over and jump on my lap when I would come in

Got a Golden Retriever pup 3 months ago, so hes now 5 months, he is a great wee guy, albeit he is growing like crazy.

Downside is that taking him for walks always takes ages, as folk are always wanting to clap and cuddle him (he loves the attention)

Very calm natured, except when there is mud or water around, which has a magnetic attraction to him, on the upside he climbs into the bath himself and sits calmly whilst being showered.

The cat is still the boss though!

11 hours ago, Ormond said:

After months of consideration, I got myself a dog today. A red cattle dog. 9 month old rescue type but happy temperament and fully housetrained. A great wee bitch. Bonnie as anything. I named her Alba. 

What fancy dog breeds are favourites of the TA and any funny tales? 

lfJXYMp.jpg

Never had a dog as an adult (no space or commitment to provide it with) but when I was a kid we had an alsatian and a border collie. Both of them great pet breeds. The collie was incredibly intelligent (quite typical for that breed) but it might have just been in comparison to the alsation who was a bit dim. Still, both were very calm (ok, the alsation could make the postman shit his pants with ease, even if it was a big softie), they're both good with kids and they can run forever. If I was ever to get another dog I think it would be one of those.

20 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

My parents had westies for years. Great wee dugs.

I'd have a rhodesian ridgeback.

If I wasn't adopting a rescue then a Westie would've been my choice. They weren't popping up on any rescue centres near me. My Wife wanted one too. She was dead set on calling it Hamish. :P

Border Collies can be sleekit gits

My Dad still tells the stories about them having one in the late 1930s and early 1940s

It enjoyed nothing more than remaining silent and hiding behind doors then jumping out and woofing at you

As a wee boy we had a short haired Yorkie. He was a right lad and it was your loss if you happened to expose your bare feet whilst in the same room as him.

He did however have a penchant for hiding under cars and lorries and waiting there till they moved off.

Had two sore ones from my Uncle Danny's Vauxhall Victor and the other that nearly killed him from a big truck at Southwaite services.

As a teenager had a wee Westie and as previously stated great dugs

Daft as brushes as they can be clever right enough and hate the hoover

My dad found what became my wee dog on the doorstep early one morning. She was in a terrible state, she had welts from being beaten with a lead, balding in patches from flea rash and we could count her ribs just looking at her. She had back problems and after X-rays it was discovered she'd been beaten so badly it had caused nerve damage. She died when she was the grand old age of 17 years and still miss her terribly but so happy we found each other as she was the best dog I could have wished for. 

Maybe wont read as funny but as well as her old injuries she was also a bit accident prone and one spectacular time she chased her ball on the braes and ran over a broken off branch from a big bush. She ran back to me holding up her back paw and I couldn't take in what I was seeing, her skin and fur was hanging down like a sock that's fallen down around your ankle. A wee bit was still attached but I could see her flesh and veins, looked like a skinned rabbit, but only tiny wee droplet of blood. I picked her up and ran for the car, arrived at nearby vet and as soon as I put her on the table I lost it, tears and snotters everywhere. We ended up with lots of vets coming in as it's an unusual injury, called a glove injury, and they all wanted a wee peek. The head man asked if she had any allergies or recent injuries and I replied. "Well she has nerve damage from beatings as a pup and has a constant tremble on her left hand side. An ulcer so she can't take tablets orally as it upsets her ulcer and she poos orange diarrhoea. She fell over a wall last year and snapped a bone in her paw so it's sensitive on top. She stood on a broken bottle and when they stitched her up they put sticky plaster roll up her leg but turned out she's allergic to it and she had to be treated for that as the rash became infected. Then she chewed a wee hole in her other paw and they thought it was psychosomatic pain as she couldn't chew the damaged one. Oh and I give her Bachs Rescue Remedy every day for stress."  When she was fully healed and at our last check up he told me that at our original visit he was dreading asking her name as if I'd said "Lucky" he was scared he'd have laughed out loud but when I mentioned the rescue remedy he'd nearly lost it anyway and had had to walk out the room. 

10 minutes ago, G-Man said:

My dad found what became my wee dog on the doorstep early one morning. She was in a terrible state, she had welts from being beaten with a lead, balding in patches from flea rash and we could count her ribs just looking at her. She had back problems and after X-rays it was discovered she'd been beaten so badly it had caused nerve damage. She died when she was the grand old age of 17 years and still miss her terribly but so happy we found each other as she was the best dog I could have wished for. 

Maybe wont read as funny but as well as her old injuries she was also a bit accident prone and one spectacular time she chased her ball on the braes and ran over a broken off branch from a big bush. She ran back to me holding up her back paw and I couldn't take in what I was seeing, her skin and fur was hanging down like a sock that's fallen down around your ankle. A wee bit was still attached but I could see her flesh and veins, looked like a skinned rabbit, but only tiny wee droplet of blood. I picked her up and ran for the car, arrived at nearby vet and as soon as I put her on the table I lost it, tears and snotters everywhere. We ended up with lots of vets coming in as it's an unusual injury, called a glove injury, and they all wanted a wee peek. The head man asked if she had any allergies or recent injuries and I replied. "Well she has nerve damage from beatings as a pup and has a constant tremble on her left hand side. An ulcer so she can't take tablets orally as it upsets her ulcer and she poos orange diarrhoea. She fell over a wall last year and snapped a bone in her paw so it's sensitive on top. She stood on a broken bottle and when they stitched her up they put sticky plaster roll up her leg but turned out she's allergic to it and she had to be treated for that as the rash became infected. Then she chewed a wee hole in her other paw and they thought it was psychosomatic pain as she couldn't chew the damaged one. Oh and I give her Bachs Rescue Remedy every day for stress."  When she was fully healed and at our last check up he told me that at our original visit he was dreading asking her name as if I'd said "Lucky" he was scared he'd have laughed out loud but when I mentioned the rescue remedy he'd nearly lost it anyway and had had to walk out the room. 

She sounds lovely. What was her name?

5 hours ago, hunchy said:

There are several dog breeds I love with my favourite probably being a northern Inuit. For those that don't know this breed it was used in game of thrones as the dire wolf that the start kids got in the first series. 

Some of the most friendly dogs I have met are breeds that are supposed to be dangerous such as the Doberman that would sit and cuddle into you or the Rottweiler that just wants fussed. And yet some of the most nasty dogs are breads that are seen as safe such as the jack Russell who would bite if you approached it. He would only be friendly with people he knew and then only when he wanted a petting and would come to you. What made it worse was he was the pub landlords dog and was always down in the bar. Got to the point as he would see me in the family home above the pub that he would come over and jump on my lap when I would come in

Weirdly i was speaking to someone with a Northern Inuit on tuesday. If I had all the time and could pick I would get a pair of Basset Hounds.

Just now, phart said:

Ridgeback's

Yeah they are beautiful. I lived in a B & B during weekdays for 3 years with an auld wifie here in Oz. She had 3 too. They were amazing animals, once you got to know them. Threaten her you would not in their presence.

3 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Yeah they are beautiful. I lived in a B & B during weekdays for 3 years with an auld wifie here in Oz. She had 3 too. They were amazing animals, once you got to know them. Threaten her you would not in their presence.

I saw a programme about extreme marathon runners and they had Ridgebacks as pets that would go out with them when they trained and run the legs off their humans.

My dads boss at work has a south African boerboel, another dog you don't threaten the owner of. He has brought him into work each day since a puppy (landscape gardening yard), smart as well, knows when everyones piece time is around the yard and wanders round to collect his "protection money".

11 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Would ANYONE threaten a B & B landlady, dug or no dug? 

I am beginning to think the world would be a happier place if dugs were in charge. Havent seen so much common ground on a thread for a long time . 

It happened with some of the locals. That's why she got them. It was before my time at her place but she felt unsafe.

The first night I got there i was near pinned against a wall with my wee suitcase in my hand. Within a week one would be sleeping outside the door and I would take her for a walk down to the pub.

They are fantastic dogs.

46 minutes ago, Mindimoo said:

She sounds lovely. What was her name?

Kimmy. My nephew loved her and one day when he was about about 4 we were walking in Pollok Park and he asked me when Kimmy would grow into a big boy. I told him she would always be a girl and in dog years she was already grown up. He looked a bit puzzled then asked "but when will she be big?" Conversation went on for a bit until I realised he was asking when she'd turn into a human. Because I called myself her mum and sent him cousin cards from her (I know :blush:) he thought everyone was born as a dog then grew into humans. I don't know who was most upset, him hearing it or me having to break it to him.