Dugs - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

It happened with some of the locals. That's why she got them. It was before my time at her place but she felt unsafe.

The first night I got there i was near pinned against a wall with my wee suitcase in my hand. Within a week one would be sleeping outside the door and I would take her for a walk down to the pub.

They are fantastic dogs.

I was being tongue in cheek re the landlady, B & B landladies have a reputation for being rotweilers ( no pun intended) and not to be messed with.

Shame the old lady had to experience that but she probably would never had the dogs otherwise , so maybe a good thing in the end. 

Would love a dog but not sure I have the energy or time after work. Maybe when I retire which cant come quick enough. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Kimmy. My nephew loved her and one day when he was about about 4 we were walking in Pollok Park and he asked me when Kimmy would grow into a big boy. I told him she would always be a girl and in dog years she was already grown up. He looked a bit puzzled then asked "but when will she be big?" Conversation went on for a bit until I realised he was asking when she'd turn into a human. Because I called myself her mum and sent him cousin cards from her (I know :blush:) he thought everyone was born as a dog then grew into humans. I don't know who was most upset, him hearing it or me having to break it to him.

Ah , so its you who buys all those 'happy birthday to my dog ' cards,  always wondered who it was ?

Nice story . 

I used to play like this with my collie. Ok, so exchange the beach with a dreich public football pitch in lanarkshire with the occasional broken buckfast bottle on it. They all seem to have a natural ability to fire a ball back. Don't see how they got that from herding sheep though.

My auld dug (sadly no longer with us) liked a wee drop of lager, if you put it in a bowl he widnae touch it but if you poured some on the slabs he would lap it up. He wiz nae breed jist a black dug. 

On 01/08/2016 at 0:05 AM, TDYER63 said:

I was being tongue in cheek re the landlady, B & B landladies have a reputation for being rotweilers ( no pun intended) and not to be messed with.

Shame the old lady had to experience that but she probably would never had the dogs otherwise , so maybe a good thing in the end. 

Would love a dog but not sure I have the energy or time after work. Maybe when I retire which cant come quick enough. 

I've got two cats, willy and philly. I'd love to get a ridgeback and see how they got on. 

I have this other cat that comes into the house at nights. My two don't bother about it. It just comes in, eats what food is left then ####s off again.

1 minute ago, scoobydoo said:

I've got two cats, willy and philly. I'd love to get a ridgeback and see how they got on. 

I have this other cat that comes into the house at nights. My two don't bother about it. It just comes in, eats what food is left then ####s off again.

When we got the cats i asked my son what he wanted to call them. He said 'starscream' and 'Pencilcase'. That was quickly vetoed as there was no way i was standing at the door shouting that at night.

Philly is a vicious wee . I was talking to my neighbour one day and the cats were just lying about beside me. This fanny came down the road with a pit bull thing on a lead. My neighbour says that I should get the cats out the way. one bolted anyway but philly just looked at this dog coming down the road. When it got close enough, and straining on tough guys lead, philly lunged at it and scratched out its face. The poor wee thing thing was yelping and its owner was screaming retribution, as yet unhappened. Good timz in da hood homie.

On 31/07/2016 at 8:50 AM, Redz said:

We recently 'lost' our Sheltie - He'd had 15 (mostly) good years, and it was his time. (The vet actually came to our home to put him to sleep, which was a really nice touch I thought)

Anyway, and putting the sadness to one side, we (my wife mainly) are now considering what our next dog (This is the first time in 30 years together we haven't had a dog) should be.

Medium sized, good temperament, enough energy for decent walks and a breed with a reputation for (generally) behaving!

Tibetan Terrier & Cockapoo are two that have been mentioned - Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations from the TAMB would be welcome!

*Apologies for hijacking this (a wee bit) Ormond....

Can fully recommend paddy paws in Girvan for a cockapoo, absolutely different class breeders and genuinely great people

52 minutes ago, girvanTA said:

Can fully recommend paddy paws in Girvan for a cockapoo, absolutely different class breeders and genuinely great people

After an initial infantile snigger at the name ( sorry couldnt help it) i decided to check this breed out on google as i am not so familiar with hybrids. If  i was ever seriously tempted to get a dog it would be one of those. 

I would of course have to say 'cockapoo' over and over again to get it out my system beforehand ?

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

After an initial infantile snigger at the name ( sorry couldnt help it) i decided to check this breed out on google as i am not so familiar with hybrids. If  i was ever seriously tempted to get a dog it would be one of those. 

I would of course have to say 'cockapoo' over and over again to get it out my system beforehand ?

In my day they were mongrels, noo gie them a funny name and charge a fortune for them. 

32 minutes ago, bonzo said:

In my day they were mongrels, noo gie them a funny name and charge a fortune for them. 

Are you my husband in disguise? Thats exactly what he will say whilst shaking his Daily Mail at me.  I have to be more cunning. 

I have two Patterdale terriers i never wanted a dog but my daughter talked me into taking the last of a litter.she couldn't get rid of and what a lovely little dog she has turned out to be.i bought the other one as company for my bitch.they are wonderful dogs but have a tendency to bugger off when not on the lead and are noisy sods as well.all in all though cracking little dogs they love to play fight they love to eat and sleep and even if a crisp packet blows up the drive they let you know.the down side is i can't watch any nature programmes as they go mental.

Ian

21 hours ago, Jon Cutler said:

Took my folks to the vet today to get their wee Westie put to sleep. Cracking wee dog gave them lots of happy times.

That's a shame. When my parents westie died in 96 they said they didn't want another but I went out and bought a wee westie pup for 400 quid for them. Gave them another 17 years of talking to the dug and not each other. 

3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

That's a shame. When my parents westie died in 96 they said they didn't want another but I went out and bought a wee westie pup for 400 quid for them. Gave them another 17 years of talking to the dug and not each other

This may be the ammunition I need to convince my husband we should get a dog  . Thanks ?

On 8/2/2016 at 6:05 PM, girvanTA said:

Thank you.

Probably a bit too far for us to travel though.

It would 'appear' that one has been found in Norfolk......

Cheers!