Scottish Challenge Cup - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Challenge Cup

Challenge Cup starts tonight. Will be interesting with the u20's being involved.

The rules are strictly under 20 players and no overage ones like in the development league. 

Reckon the bookies have over estimated the strength of the youth teams as they have pretty much every u20's team as favourite. Maybe some money to be made tonight?

Edited by iainmac1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

Challenge Cup starts tonight. Will be interesting with the u20's being involved.

The rules are strictly under 20 players and no overage ones like in the development league. 

Reckon the bookies have over estimated the strength of the youth teams as they have pretty much every u20's team as favourite. Maybe some money to be made tonight?

Might be...

But personally not so sure. Goodness knows how the bookies even managed to put prices against those games

44 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

yeah got a whole host of bets against the under 20's getting beat, some great prices

I mind the last time Thistle skelped Clyde 4-0. Banjo's goal was 10 seconds of beauty. 

think it was Kevin Bud to Gerry Britton, who dinked it into McKinstrey's stride. 

He then cut in on to his left and curled one into the top corner. 

An absolute peach!  Maybe only bettered by O'Donnell v United a few seasons ago. 

5-0 now.

Edited by OLAS

Maybe because we won convincingly against our old traditional rivals with our weans, but this competition might be a masterstroke. 

Lots of goals and excitement tonight. Some good wins and some good come backs. 

Not all expected either. Fully expected Clyde to beat us tonight, too. 

52 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I'm hearing a very dodgy goal was allowed to stand for Aberdeen. 

Linesman will remain nameless. 

:rollsmile:

Seen him running the line in his favourite colour. ?

2 hours ago, OLAS said:

Not all expected either. Fully expected Clyde to beat us tonight, too. 

It was always going to be a thistle victory, got you to beat us at 15/8! Clyde have no interest in the competition now & tonight would have cost us money. Our young lads have only just been signed a week or so ago & been told they won't be ready for the first team in next 2 years. Bit harsh on BF to throw them in at deep end against a good thistle side but it'll be a learning curve, I suppose!

Our support was divided in how we should have approached the game but I reckon it was made clear Clyde's attitude to competition when BF wasn't in dugout. Instead he was outside holding a training session with the first team. Not going to lie I would have liked to see us beat thistle but I can see the reasons for playing our youths. 

Thistle looked a really good side the lad up front that scored 3 in particular. Won't be surprised to see a few of the lads pushing for your first team, certainly have the ability. Fair play! 

Edited to ask... Do you normally get a decent amount of supporters turning up to the U20's matches or was tonight a one off? 

Edited by Rory

12 hours ago, dandydunn said:

I'm hearing a very dodgy goal was allowed to stand for Aberdeen. 

Linesman will remain nameless. 

:rollsmile:

Heard he's a really dodgy linesman - never mind ref :wink2:

11 hours ago, OLAS said:

Seen him running the line in his favourite colour. ?

TBF he looked happy in it :lol:

12 hours ago, Rory said:

Edited to ask... Do you normally get a decent amount of supporters turning up to the U20's matches or was tonight a one off? 

I think it was the novelty factor and the fact that Broadwood isn't too much of a jaunt. 

Penrice and Nesbit have first team experience already and unless they go out on loan,  they'll feature at some point during the season.   Penrice has a cracking cross on him.  

22 minutes ago, OLAS said:

I think it was the novelty factor and the fact that Broadwood isn't too much of a jaunt. 

Penrice and Nesbit have first team experience already and unless they go out on loan,  they'll feature at some point during the season.   Penrice has a cracking cross on him.  

As does Syme.