NFL Thread 2016/17 - Page 9 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

NFL Thread 2016/17

The Giant

On 19/12/2016 at 8:17 PM, Zicoladud said:

mon the raiders :spin:

Sad stuff as Carr is out for the rest of the season

That promising young team had a real chance too.

Marriota also out for a long time

Edited by Ally Bongo

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol

Want a crazy scenario? If DAL wins tonight, DET and GB would BOTH make playoffs if they TIE next week. Imagine if that game goes overtime.

2 hours ago, The Giant said:

I wonder if that is it for him as a coach. Not sure his ego will allow him to be a DC again.

Then again, he will get a job on telly no bother...

Aye - couple of years on the TV and he will be back as an HC somewhere

Doubtful but the Rams might take a flier on him

Who would be a Browns fan lol

If their season hasnt been bad enough if they were to win in Pittsburgh they would lose the number 1 draft pick

They currently lead 14-0 and the Steelers are lying down to them

LOL

Playoff schedule in UK times

Saturday 9.35pm

Raiders @ Texans  - prediction Texans (due to Raiders horrific QB situation & Texan defense)

Texans are 3.5 favourites

Sunday 1.15am

Lions @ Seahawks - prediction Seahawks (just a far better team and almost unbeatable at home)

Seahawks are 8.0 favourites

Sunday 6.05pm

Dolphins @ Steelers - prediction Steelers (just a far better team & home advantage /Dolphins QB issues)

Steelers are 10 point favourites

Sunday 9.40pm

Giants @ Packers - prediction Packers ( my previous Giants statements would be made to look foolish )

Packers 4.5 favourites

I would have been more confident of the Packers if their secondary hadnt been banged up so much & this game is therefore a toss up and the most exciting looking of the 4

Edited by Ally Bongo

5 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Saturday 9.35pm

Raiders @ Texans  - prediction Texans (due to Raiders horrific QB situation & Texan defense)

Sunday 1.15am

Lions @ Seahawks - prediction Seahawks (just a far better team and almost unbeatable at home)

Sunday 6.05pm

Dolphins @ Steelers - prediction Steelers (just a far better team & home advantage /Dolphins QB issues)

Sunday 9.40pm

Giants @ Packers - prediction Packers ( my previous Giants statements would be made to look foolish )

Packers 4.5 favourites

I would have been more confident of the Packers if their secondary hadnt been banged up so much & this game is therefore a toss up and the most exciting looking of the 4

Looking forward to all of these. Only today watched highlights of the Skins/Giants game to see how my bet came in (Giants to win 7-12 points at 16s). 

:wtf: :cheers3:

I really should never bet again after that. :lol:

Guest flumax
8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Saturday 9.35pm

Sunday 1.15am

Sunday 6.05pm

Sunday 9.40pm

Packers 4.5 favourites

Agree with all your predictions...maybe raiders could do it, but don't think so 

6 minutes ago, flumax said:

In simple terms can someone  explain why lions beat out tampa to the wild card spot? 

Tampa finished 2nd in the NFC South with a 9-7 record

Their Conference record was 7-5

Detroit finished 2nd in the NFC North with a 9-7 record

Their Conference record was 7-5

The 2nd tiebreaker would have been head to head but they didnt play each other this year

The 3rd tiebreaker is record against common opponents

The teams they both played against were Bears, Rams, Saints & Cowboys

Lions played the Bears twice

Bucs played the Saints twice

The Lions record was 3-2 and the Bucs record was 2-3 therefore Detroit gets the wildcard

If they had been tied against common opponents it would have then been down to the strength of victories against them.

Guest flumax
14 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

The 3rd tiebreaker is record against common opponents

The teams they both played against were Bears, Rams, Saints & Cowboys

Lions played the Bears twice

Bucs played the Saints twice

The Lions record was 3-2 and the Bucs record was 2-3 therefore Detroit gets the wildcard

If they had been tied against common opponents it would have then been down to the strength of victories against them.

This is what I needed ta. Could not seem to find this part. 

I'd rather have faced bears twice than Saints, no wonder lions had better record. 

On 03/01/2017 at 10:59 PM, flumax said:

Agree with all your predictions...maybe raiders could do it, but don't think so 

I hope the Raiders win too

The AFC South has been a farce for years with the Texans being almost as bad as the Bengals - in that a shitty team gets to the playoffs to automatically be one and done when there are other teams whom they have deprived getting there who would do far better

It's one of the bad idiosyncracies of the divisional system   

Cook actually looked not bad in parts against Denver however i have a feeling Osweiler might have a good game at last 

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 2:19 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Saturday 9.35pm

Sunday 1.15am

Sunday 6.05pm

Sunday 9.40pm

Packers 4.5 favourites

Raiders at Texans going to be a very stuffy game, both Quarterbacks very inexperienced but young guy Cook I feel has a stronger more accurate arm than McGloin, taking Texans to win but it will be tight maybe 19-16 to Texans just because there defense carries them in a lot of games and carries Osweiler as well.

Lions at Seahawks again think this will be tight, Seahawks going to miss Tyler Lockett's speed and his returns.  both defense will be on top I think and think Seahawks just grab it 20-13.

Dolphins at Steelers, depends if Tannahill plays, he is rumoured to practice today, if he makes it ahh think it will be close.  27-21 to steelers if Tannahill plays if he does not play think Steelers win 30-13

Giants at My Packers, agreed we have a few injuries in defense and need some of them to recover if we are to beat the Giants who have upped there game in last 5 weeks bar the defeat to the Eagles 2 weeks ago.  Going for the packers win 24-17

Well, that was a rank rotten weekend!! 

Connor Cook looked every inch the 4th round rookie who'd never had a start before. However, why he's throwing the ball 45 times i've no idea. About 75% of Oakland's offensive plays were passes. Terrible play calling. 

Houston's defence won it for them and Osweiler managed not to look completely terrible. They'll be soundly beaten next week in Foxboro though. 

Not much to say about the remainder of the games. 3 complete blow outs. Although the first half in Green Bay was tight (for a defence as good as the Giants' to give up that hail mary play on half time is a disgrace), Green Bay soon ran away with it. 

It looks like being a real shoot out next sunday night in Dallas between the Cowboys and the Packers. Not sure how the bookies have priced it but it looks like a real 50:50 game to me. 

The margin of victory across all 4 wildcards game is the biggest since 1981. Hopefully next week's games are more competitive. With the exclusion of Texans @ Pats, they certainly promise to be! 

To be fair to Cook, that's the first time a QB has made their first start, in a playoff in game, in over 50 years. And it was against the number one defence in the league. He looked better when they went to no huddle for some reason - I think maybe the extra pace of play in that situation meant fewer substitutions from Houston and therefore fewer different looks to deal with. But odd to be calling so much in the air right enough.

34 minutes ago, biffer said:

To be fair to Cook, that's the first time a QB has made their first start, in a playoff in game, in over 50 years. And it was against the number one defence in the league. He looked better when they went to no huddle for some reason - I think maybe the extra pace of play in that situation meant fewer substitutions from Houston and therefore fewer different looks to deal with. But odd to be calling so much in the air right enough.

I don't blame him. He was in a near impossible situation. Oakland should've stuck with the run, even though it wasn't working early, and given Cook short slant routes and screens to try and get him completions and build confidence and rhythm. Asking him to beat the Texans through the air was ridiculous. Crabtree and Cooper dropping balls didn't help either, mind you!

Divisional Play Offs UK Times

Saturday 9.35pm

Seahawks @ Falcons  - prediction Falcons (against my better judgement)

Seattle are nowhere near as good as they were 2-3 years ago and whilst Atlanta have arguably the most potent offense in the NFC im waiting on them sucking when the chips are down

Falcons are 4.5 favourites

Sunday 1.15am

Texans @ Patriots - prediction Patriots although i think the Texans will cover the spread

Houston have a great defense but their offense is poor. The Texans defense will be on the field most of the game

Patriots are 15.5 favourites

Sunday 6.05 pm

Steelers @ Chiefs  - prediction Chiefs (against my better judgement)

Pittsburgh have looked unbeatable at times and rank ordinary at others

The Chiefs have been really impressive and home field advantage should swing it

Chiefs are 1.5 favourites

Sunday 9.40 pm

Packers @ Cowboys  - prediction Packers

I'm still not buying Dak Prescott. He is still a rookie going against arguably the best QB in the NFL. Nelson will be a big loss for the Packers but their other receivers stepped up against the Giants. The key for Dallas is not getting behind by more than one score

Cowboys are 4.5 favourites

Edited by Ally Bongo

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Divisional Play Offs UK Times

Falcons are 4.5 favourites

Chiefs are 1.5 favourites

Cowboys are 4.5 favourites

Can you explain to me what the numbers mean here as I've never been able to figure it out!

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Can you explain to me what the numbers mean here as I've never been able to figure it out!

It's a handicap - basically like goals of a start in a football match over here but rather than goals it's points

Example - for the Patriots/ Texans game the fixed odds are - Patriots 1/16 and Texans 9/1

However you can get 10/11 on either side if you bet them on the points spread

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I'm still not buying Dak Prescott.

I find that an outrageous comment but maybe i'm biased. He's been exceptional all season long. 3rd highest QB rating in the league (among starting QB's). 

I suspect/hope that after Sunday both you and Green Bay's exposed secondary may well be buying Prescott ;)