NFL Thread 2016/17 - Page 10 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

NFL Thread 2016/17

The Giant

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

I find that an outrageous comment but maybe i'm biased. He's been exceptional all season long. 3rd highest QB rating in the league (among starting QB's). 

No you are not biased

Even though stats can sometimes be deceptive you cannot dispute Prescott's this season - they are outstanding.

But there is another stat - and that is rookie QBs winning Championships and Superbowls

That's not to say he wont break that trend.

It's just , dare i say, that in recent years the Cowboys have been sort of Jetesque whereas the Packers have the play off pedigree

It must be exciting though

Edited by Ally Bongo

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

No you are not biased

Even though stats can sometimes be deceptive you cannot dispute Prescott's this season - they are outstanding.

But there is another stat - and that is rookie QBs winning Championships and Superbowls

That's not to say he wont break that trend.

It's just , dare i say, that in recent years the Cowboys have been sort of Jetesque whereas the Packers have the play off pedigree

It must be exciting though

I'm not saying Dallas will win the Super Bowl. It's just your comment seemed to suggest that you didn't rate Prescott, that's what I was taking issue with. Maybe I've misinterpreted :lol: 

I like Prescott too, but it can be hard to judge how good he is. We'll see over the next couple of years.

For example I wouldnt say he is better than Andrew Luck, but Prescott has the best Line in the NFL, and Luck has just about the worst. Prescott has Zeke Elliott and Luck has septuagenarian Frank Gore. Luck has no receiver as good as Bryant or TE as good as Witten to throw to. So its no wonder Prescott has good stats. Hopefully he can turn out to be a Russell Wilson type, but we'll need a bigger sample size. He has had an outstanding rookie season, yet will probably be pipped to rookie of the year by his team mate!

Regardless, the Green Bay - Dallas game should be a cracker this weekend, I'm looking forward to watching it.

11 hours ago, The Giant said:

I like Prescott too, but it can be hard to judge how good he is. We'll see over the next couple of years.

For example I wouldnt say he is better than Andrew Luck, but Prescott has the best Line in the NFL, and Luck has just about the worst. Prescott has Zeke Elliott and Luck has septuagenarian Frank Gore. Luck has no receiver as good as Bryant or TE as good as Witten to throw to. So its no wonder Prescott has good stats. Hopefully he can turn out to be a Russell Wilson type, but we'll need a bigger sample size. He has had an outstanding rookie season, yet will probably be pipped to rookie of the year by his team mate!

Regardless, the Green Bay - Dallas game should be a cracker this weekend, I'm looking forward to watching it.

In terms of pass protection, i'd argue Aaron Rodgers has a better O-Line in Green Bay. However they can't run block very well. Overall i'd agree that Dallas has the best line in the league but Prescott does still have to deal with pressure fairly often. 

I agree on Luck. He's one of the very top QB's IMO, along with Brady, Ryan, Rodgers, Wilson and Big Ben. If Prescott gets to that level of passing ability, then, combined with Zeke, Bryant and that O-Line, we might be seeing the start of an incredible team (something similar is happening in Pittsburgh, if they can keep Roethlisberger healthy over the next 5 years, then we might have some the start of a great cross-conference rivalry). 

Can't wait for the match-up on Sunday night. In fact, 3 of 4 games have the potential to be absolute crackers. One of the best Divisional rounds i can remember in a few years. 

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:05 AM, Ally Bongo said:

Divisional Play Offs UK Times

Saturday 9.35pm

Seahawks @ Falcons  - prediction Falcons (against my better judgement)

Seattle are nowhere near as good as they were 2-3 years ago and whilst Atlanta have arguably the most potent offense in the NFC im waiting on them sucking when the chips are down

Falcons are 4.5 favourites

Sunday 1.15am

Texans @ Patriots - prediction Patriots although i think the Texans will cover the spread

Houston have a great defense but their offense is poor. The Texans defense will be on the field most of the game

Patriots are 15.5 favourites

Sunday 6.05 pm

Steelers @ Chiefs  - prediction Chiefs (against my better judgement)

Pittsburgh have looked unbeatable at times and rank ordinary at others

The Chiefs have been really impressive and home field advantage should swing it

Chiefs are 1.5 favourites

Sunday 9.40 pm

Packers @ Cowboys  - prediction Packers

I'm still not buying Dak Prescott. He is still a rookie going against arguably the best QB in the NFL. Nelson will be a big loss for the Packers but their other receivers stepped up against the Giants. The key for Dallas is not getting behind by more than one score

Cowboys are 4.5 favourites

My predictions are

Seahawks at Falcons, going to have to take the Falcons to win this, Seattle aren't the team they were and there offense will miss Tyler Lockett speed in this game.  Matt Ryan is a far better QB than Wilson and has more options in offense, Falcons to win 30-20

Texans at Patriots, don't think Houston have a hope in hell with that offense, until they get a good QB they wont be able to compete in games at New England, Patriots to win 26-9

Steelers at Chiefs, this is a very hard game to call Steelers offense against Chiefs defense, Steelers defo have better players in offense but if Chiefs defense can get at Ben and cover Brown and Bell I think Chiefs may just edge this one 26-23

Packers at Cowboys, my heart says the packers being a packers fan but my head says Dallas, think the game being in Dallas suits cowboys as if the game was in Green bay with the cold weather then packers would win then, Dallas had an extra week to rest up, have no injury concerns and Green Bay look to be missing our star WR Jordy Nelson who is going to be a massive miss, leading TD scorer in the NFL and with injuries in our defense the now as well building up.  Think Dallas will just win this game 27-24 unfortunately :>(

Won 2 tickets to the NFL uk live show in Glasgow on Monday night :>), all sky sports presenters going to be there plus 2 nfl players announced so far and superbowl trophy is going to be on display, cant wait :>)

6 hours ago, giblet said:

Getting nervous for the Cowboys the night. Hoping home advantage works for us.

Not going well thus far... :( Need to narrow the gap at HT by getting to 21-17 with a TD here. 

Heartbreaking stuff :( 

4 crucial penalties won the game for Green Bay: 

• 2 in the first half on 3rd down which gave Green Bay a 1st down. Both drives led to a Touchdown
  • one which negated a big first down for Dallas and ended up forcing them to settle for a field goal 
  • One late in the game which negated an interception and would've given dallas the chance to drive to win the game. 

Discipline cost Dallas. The best team lost :( 

Hope Atlanta absolutely destroy Green Bay next week, i'm fed up with Aaron Rodgers :lol: 

that was some pass and catch in the last minute from Green Bay.  the wait to find out if it was legitimate or not seemed to last forever.  Hats off to the kicker for Green Bay though, two massive pressure kicks.  Wanting the dirty birds now to destroy Packers in the Division game.

Just watched the Chiefs Steelers highlights

How do you lose to a team that doesnt score a touchdown ?

Totally shat the nest they did & cost me a 8-0 playoff predictions record :(

On 21/11/2016 at 9:09 AM, Geed said:

Green bay's season over last night 4-6 now, defense one of the worst I have saw since started watching the packers in 1990, utter garbage ahh know how it feels to be a Browns fans now.  Awe well start preparing for next season and have a clear out starting with the coach McCarthy.  My tip to win it think its between Seahawks, Patriots and the Cowboys, best 3 teams by far in the NFL

Woops!

12 hours ago, The Giant said:

Woops!

Surprised as you to have won 6 in a row to make the play offs and lions and Vikings arses to collapse.  Still up against it, read the injury report for sunday against falcons.  A lot of key players there, falcons be massive favs if a lot of these players don't make it

Name Position Injury Wed. Thu. Fri. Game Status
Adams, Davante WR Ankle DNP - - -
Allison, Geronimo WR Hamstring DNP - - -
Burnett, Morgan S Quadricep DNP - - -
Crosby, Mason K Illness DNP - - -
Elliott, Jayrone LB Hand FP - - -
Janis, Jeff WR Quadricep LP - - -
Lang, T.J. G Foot LP - - -
Matthews, Clay LB Shoulder FP - - -
Nelson, Jordy WR Ribs LP - - -
Peppers, Julius LB Not Injury Related DNP - - -
Perry, Nick LB Hand FP - - -
Rollins, Quinten CB Neck/Concussion LP - - -
Starks, James RB Concussion DNP - - -
Tretter, JC C/G Knee DNP - - -
  • Practice Status
  • DNP = Did not participate in practice
  • LP = Limited Participation in Practice - Less than 100% of a player's normal repetitions
  • FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions
  • (-) = Not Listed = No practice status available

Looks like the Oakland Raiders will be the Las Vegas Raiders by 2020

Dont know how Raiders fans feel but for fans of other teams that fancy an away game it's bloody marvellous

On 21/11/2016 at 9:09 AM, Geed said:

Green bay's season over last night 4-6 now, defense one of the worst I have saw since started watching the packers in 1990, utter garbage ahh know how it feels to be a Browns fans now.  Awe well start preparing for next season and have a clear out starting with the coach McCarthy.  My tip to win it think its between Seahawks, Patriots and the Cowboys, best 3 teams by far in the NFL

Yeah, totally agree. Goes straight to the top of the list! Good that they are in the AFC too...

16 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Looks like the Oakland Raiders will be the Las Vegas Raiders by 2020

Dont know how Raiders fans feel but for fans of other teams that fancy an away game it's bloody marvellous

Vegas fits their image, I think it might be a good move. Oakland seems to not be able to pay or interested in paying for a new stadium, so a move is pretty much their only option. Vegas is pretty much the only option and the stadium plans look fantastic. I just hope they create a new black hole.