NFL Thread 2016/17 - Page 12 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

NFL Thread 2016/17

The Giant

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Credit where it's due

As i said - you cannot trust Matt Ryan so it's unfathomable why the Falcons play calling kept putting the ball in his hands when they should have been running down the clock

Had Patriots -3 in a line running onto some games this week so not distraught

Not sure you can blame Ryan for the loss. Yes he made an error in getting sacked at 28-20 but the holding call helped push them out of field goal range. Ultimately it came down to their defence being unable to stop the Patriots in the 4th quarter and OT.

WOW! What an incredible game. Few sports can deliver drama quite like the NFL serves up frequently. 

Im going to work after only 2 hours sleep but it was totally worth it. 

2 minutes ago, biffer said:

Espn are describing it as a choke job for the ages.

I think for a team to come back from 25 points down, with only about 20 minutes left, there has to be an element of the leading team throwing it away. 

There were several crucial plays where the Falcons had the ball and screwed up. Ryan's fumble, Ryan's sack when in FG range and then a holding penalty on the next play to take them out of field goal range are the three that jump to mind. Kyle Shanahan has looked like a genius all season, his play calling last night will have some revisiting that assessment. 

What the Patriots did was make the most of every single opportunity they had in that 2nd half. 

Thought it was going to be game over when Jones brought in that catch (think it was during the drive where they ended up out of field goal range?) 

Obviously a huge part of it is the Falcons chucking it away but dont think you can take anything away from Brady and the Patriots. There must also be huge pressure on the offence to get points when its a one score game and you know Tom Brady is coming back out. 

Made me think of a couple of years ago against the seahawks when they went for a passing play from a yard or two out.

The booing of Roger Goodell was enjoyable as well :lol:

9 hours ago, Jaggy Jim said:

Not sure you can blame Ryan for the loss.

Nooo - i wasnt

It's just that Matt Ryan has a history of blowing out after being hot

Im blaming the play calling

Regardless of who the QB was they should have been running the clock at that time which makes it all the more dafter that they kept calling air plays

Especially when you consider the first half

My prediction that it wouldnt be close should have been right 

The Patriots ran 93 plays. The Falcons ran 46. That is staggering. Brady threw more passes (62) than the Falcons had total plays.

• 1 month later...

Sad times as Tony Romo confirms his retirement, in order to take up a job as analyst on CBS. 

There's not been many players who've been more fun/exciting to watch in the NFL in the last 10 years or so than Romo. Very sad to see him go but also a bit glad that we wont see him lining up for another team. 

It appears the Texans didn't want him that much, which is utterly bizarre. I look forward to their upcoming mediocre 9-7 season, with Tom Savage under center... 

• 2 weeks later...

Aaron Hernandez, former Patriots Tight End, who has been in prison the last 2 years for murder has hung himself

In the last few days he was cleared not guilty of murdering two other people but sent back to prison to complete his life sentence

7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Aaron Hernandez, former Patriots Tight End, who has been in prison the last 2 years for murder has hung himself

In the last few days he was cleared not guilty of murdering two other people but sent back to prison to complete his life sentence

His whole story is a tragic waste. Was probably the Patriots best player in Superbowl 46, with Gronkowski being injured. Seems like he was living an incredible double life.

On 4/19/2017 at 0:07 PM, Ally Bongo said:

17 hours ago, The Giant said:

His whole story is a tragic waste. Was probably the Patriots best player in Superbowl 46, with Gronkowski being injured. Seems like he was living an incredible double life.

A horrible story of a guy with a decent upbringing who made it big, then regressed in to a street life of hanging with drug dealers and gun runners. Tragic waste of talent. Even more tragic waste of the 3 lives he was involved in ending. Tragic for his family, including his young daughter. 

I was bemused as to why he went with an appeal for the double murder, won, then killed himself. One rumour i read online is that, as he'd lodged an appeal for the killing he was convicted of, the conviction would now be "vacant" (as no trial will take place). This will leave his family able to claim his NFL pension and possibly recover signing bonuses that would've been due to Hernandez from the Pats. Dunno how true that is and don't have the inclination to study US Law or NFL Rules for hours to find out. Would be a smart move if true and also bookend his story with a less horrible act.

2 hours ago, Geed said:

NFL fixtures out tonight for the new season around 1am UK time

Yup. Looking to plan my trip to NYC for Giants vs Cowboys this weekend! Hopefully it's not over Christmas as that'd double the cost! :lol: 

41 minutes ago, Parklife said:

A horrible story of a guy with a decent upbringing who made it big, then regressed in to a street life of hanging with drug dealers and gun runners. Tragic waste of talent. Even more tragic waste of the 3 lives he was involved in ending. Tragic for his family, including his young daughter. 

I was bemused as to why he went with an appeal for the double murder, won, then killed himself. One rumour i read online is that, as he'd lodged an appeal for the killing he was convicted of, the conviction would now be "vacant" (as no trial will take place). This will leave his family able to claim his NFL pension and possibly recover signing bonuses that would've been due to Hernandez from the Pats. Dunno how true that is and don't have the inclination to study US Law or NFL Rules for hours to find out. Would be a smart move if true and also bookend his story with a less horrible act.

Yup. Looking to plan my trip to NYC for Giants vs Cowboys this weekend! Hopefully it's not over Christmas as that'd double the cost! :lol: 

ha ha Ahh will be same next year, Green Bay are due to play the Jets in New York in 2018 and my pal in new York is a Jets fan so going over next year to go to the game. 

10 hours ago, Geed said:

ha ha Ahh will be same next year, Green Bay are due to play the Jets in New York in 2018 and my pal in new York is a Jets fan so going over next year to go to the game. 

Think most Jets fans will be giving next season a miss so you might be there on your tod :lol:

Edit just realised you meant 2018 but it will probably still be the same

Image may contain: text

We might beat the Browns but it's in Cleveland so distinct possibility of 0-16

Edited by Ally Bongo