DC v Marvel - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Poor reviews for the latest DC release - Suicide Squad. Although Snyder did not have any hand in the movie I can't help but think his strong influence and control over Batman, Superman and all the Justice League characters would have meant he would have had some impact on the script or movie tone. After the excellent Dark Knight trilogy (which albeit slipped a little in quality with Rises), I had hoped that Nolan's influence as producer/exec producer on Man of Steel would have saw some quality control. Alas it seems he is firmly in the background with Synder having full control - and by God has he fecked things up. Man of Steel was passable at a (very kind) push until the final quarter but Dawn of Justice was awful. Absolutely awful. I wouldn't know where to start in criticising it but impossible not to start with "Martha".........if that was the only criticism it would still be enough to destroy the credibility of the movie but would say that is just the top on a long list. 

I have no idea why DC would hand over the reigns to Snyder. Although Joss Whedon as a similarly strong influence on Marvel through the Avengers as far as I can see his input into the stand alone movies is minimal, if non existent. And although the Marvel movies aren't as bold and or interesting as they would have you believe with their directorial choices, their choices have been inspired and resulted on the whole in coherent, good movies which are largely faithful to the books. I am more a reader of DC than Marvel and therefore really hoped DC would get it right after Dark Knight but I just think they have placed too much faith in Snyder, who to me, is on a par with Michael Bay in terms of explosions, CGI and punctuated set pieces being the key driver of every movie at the expense of story, characters, and script/dialogue. Which is criminal given the source material available to him. 

Anyone think Snyder is unfairly maligned in all this??

enjoyed suicide squad to a certain extent...whoever played the female baddy was shit.... quirky and light hearted movie, nice tie into SvB which i enjoyed...

If you take these too serious and expect and excellent story and charecter building then your watching the wrong movie, it's light entertainment..

On 6 August 2016 at 10:22 PM, JasMc1973 said:

enjoyed suicide squad to a certain extent...whoever played the female baddy was shit.... quirky and light hearted movie, nice tie into SvB which i enjoyed...

If you take these too serious and expect and excellent story and charecter building then your watching the wrong movie, it's light entertainment..

Dark Knight trilogy was a great story with excellent character development. same with the Captain America's, particularly Civil War. Tony Stark has changed in the three Iron Man movies. The books are of course full of great stories and characters have changed for the better and the worse. 

22 hours ago, Toepoke said:

My comic fan mate always used to say Marvel pissed all over DC. Although his opinion mainly seemed to be based around the premise that Spiderman was a less ridiculous concept than Superman...

The silver-age Marvel heroes as largely created by Stan Lee all pretty much to a man had some unbelievable bad luck with radioactive materials or gamma rays. is the fact that such accidents leave a number of ordinary people (on the whole) mentally and physically unharmed but provide them with super abilities a more plausible concept than one alien coming to earth? 

I would say though that DC (in my opinion) have the better characters due to a varied range from Golden Age comics that all morphed into the DC title; Marvel's best characters (save a couple of their Golden Age inherited titles) are all created through Stan Lee's one dimensional 60s formula. In saying that, both DC and Marvel rebooted a number of the Golden Age characters into the Silver Age and this was a stroke of genius - Captain America frozen in ice; Earth 2/Earth 1 for DC etc. On the whole though, I think Marvel have had better writers until recently but now Marvel's movies are much better than DC's output.  

• 4 months later...

Got around to suicide squad the other night. Lasted 23 mins. 24 carat crap. 

I did attempt to watch that Warcraft one as well... But as the last video game I played seriously was an Atari in the 80's I may have been missing some of the background info. Maybe lasted 30 mins with that one and did think I'll try watching again sometime... Not a great review but quite good from me.

13 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Got around to suicide squad the other night. Lasted 23 mins. 24 carat crap. 

I did attempt to watch that Warcraft one as well... But as the last video game I played seriously was an Atari in the 80's I may have been missing some of the background info. Maybe lasted 30 mins with that one and did think I'll try watching again sometime... Not a great review but quite good from me.

Complete tosh the both of em. 

On 08/08/2016 at 6:27 PM, phart said:

Yeah Superman has a better "creation myth" than spiderman by a mile.

O3mjNTx.png

Hardly a mile

Humans and Spiders share about 60% of DNA

Not to mention Humans and Bananas sharing about 50%

So not only is Spiderman more plausible than Superman - but so is Bananaman

Being reported that Avengers Infinity War is going to be filmed in Glasgow, Edinburgh and the Highlands.

No great details, so unsure if we are talking World War Z where Glasgow basically doubles as Philadelphia or likes of Fast & Furious and Dark Knight series where a scene here and there is filmed, rather than large chunks of the movie.

I guess they'll be using Glasgow as random American city again, although given the amount of filming in Scotland, might actualy get to be Glasgow for a change. Highlands might be doing its usual 'look at this, an alien planet' thing from Skye or the flow country. Edinburgh will most likely be Edinburgh I would've thought, but who knows. Filming over six months from February is the rumour I saw, which suggests more than just a few scenes, although they're filming both Avengers films at the same time so there could be scenes for both movies involved. Principal photography is usually a year or so for a movie like this I think? Which might suggest that part of the film is actually set in Scotland. 

Regardless, It's likely to be about £10 million into the economy, which is no bad thing.

Yeah, I am guessing Glasgow will double for New York or something (for Thor Ragnarok they are using Brisbane to double for NYC).... Edinburgh could mean anything (even Grangemouth for some creeping looking Scooby Doo factory style backdrop).... as you said, Highlands could be some weird remote alien planet, or somewhere remote to shoot flying scenes like the start of Dark Knight Rises etc.

As you said though, 6 months to film scenes for 2 movies and £10m into the econemy is good to see.