Opening League Games - Page 11 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Opening League Games

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Glasgowmancity said:

I remember the Hearts keeper doing his best to get himself sent off & get the game abandoned towards the end - all in all it was a farcical/comical game.

Was that Henry Smith?

Angus - yes Pointons one was a second yellow.

45 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

Guessing a bit here but think it might have been Giles Rousset.

It was Rousset. 20 year ago now, one of the last times I went to a league game at Ibrox. Bruno and Weir deserved to be sent off (although Durie could well have gone too when he and Weir clashed), Pointon got a card for fouling the post, and I remember Richard Gough virtually pleading with the ref (who was hopeless and had lost it by then) not to send off Ritchie. Pieman made a fool of himself, I think Jeffries refused his calls to bring the remaining 7 players off, not least (he has since said) because he knew the club couldn't have afforded the fines. Gough in particular recognised what a farce the whole thing was, and spent the rest of the game roaring at the Rangers players to just hang onto the ball and run the clock out. Mental.

1 hour ago, Pool Q said:

It was Rousset. 20 year ago now, one of the last times I went to a league game at Ibrox. Bruno and Weir deserved to be sent off (although Durie could well have gone too when he and Weir clashed), Pointon got a card for fouling the post, and I remember Richard Gough virtually pleading with the ref (who was hopeless and had lost it by then) not to send off Ritchie. Pieman made a fool of himself, I think Jeffries refused his calls to bring the remaining 7 players off, not least (he has since said) because he knew the club couldn't have afforded the fines. Gough in particular recognised what a farce the whole thing was, and spent the rest of the game roaring at the Rangers players to just hang onto the ball and run the clock out. Mental.

I remember Gough stopping play with the ball at his feet & passing it off the pitch in disgust.

Main features if anyone interested - 10min long.

https://youtu.be/K7SYjjlDT50

On 16/08/2016 at 9:11 AM, Pool Q said:

I had forgotten about Weir being one of the Hearts players being sent off. You're right about Durie too. How he escaped a booking is unreal.

Did we ever find out why Ritchie got his red?