Aberdeen Restaurants - Page 2 - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Aberdeen Restaurants

Angus_Young

4 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

Shame as we probably would have gone there. The restaurant does look very good mind you. Suppose it will be an option should we end up in the boozer all day Saturday.  

You know of anywhere that does good pizza? As I was saying in my op there used to be a cracking wee place just off union st but can't seem to find it. I had seen Amarone but I think that's part of a chain from memory. Di Maggio's maybe? 

Don't mind that but been to Di Maggio's plenty of times so wouls prefer somewhere different.  

Had a word and it shouldn't be a problem if you want to order a pizza from Rustichetto to eat in Rustico.

Just need to let them know the date and name of booking, that way they can coordinate with the kitchen. You won't be disappointed :)

Amarone is still in Union St, not sure if it's a chain just that they have a few in various cities.  

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Heuch Moray said:

Had a word and it shouldn't be a problem if you want to order a pizza from Rustichetto to eat in Rustico.

Just need to let them know the date and name of booking, that way they can coordinate with the kitchen. You won't be disappointed :)

Amarone is still in Union St, not sure if it's a chain just that they have a few in various cities.  

Almost certain it's part of Di Maggio's. Anyway this place sounds superb and exactly what we are after. Right around the corner from the venue so ideal. 

Very good of you to do that, and hope it's not putting anyone out? I'll drop you a pm. :)

34 minutes ago, slasher said:

Slightly off topic, but what's it like getting in and out of the AEC from the city centre? The missus and I are going up there for a gig and staying in the Park Inn Radisson.

I caught the bus from Union Street when I was up there for a conference last year.

50 minutes ago, slasher said:

Slightly off topic, but what's it like getting in and out of the AEC from the city centre? The missus and I are going up there for a gig and staying in the Park Inn Radisson.

Pretty easy. Go to union street and get the 1, 2 or 40.

Any country bus going to Ellon, Peterhead or Fraserburgh will drop you there too.

A taxi will be about £20 each way.

You can walk it in about an hour.

13 minutes ago, slasher said:

Thanks lads, especially Z14 for that useful insight ?

I've taken note of the restaurant recommendations but what about for a late drink afterwards in case Mrs. Slasher wants to get her groove on??

If you're in the Park Inn, you're by the Grill, but assuming you want to drink together...

Up that end of town is 'Soul', which women seem to like for reasons I've never understood.

Head to Belmont Street and choose from: Tippling House, Bar 99 or Rye & Soda.

46 minutes ago, slasher said:

Thanks lads, especially Z14 for that useful insight ?

I've taken note of the restaurant recommendations but what about for a late drink afterwards in case Mrs. Slasher wants to get her groove on??

Nae problem, just thought id be straight to the point and truthful.

See you in Slovakia.

33 minutes ago, deecie said:

If you're in the Park Inn, you're by the Grill, but assuming you want to drink together...

Up that end of town is 'Soul', which women seem to like for reasons I've never understood.

Head to Belmont Street and choose from: Tippling House, Bar 99 or Rye & Soda.

Me and Mrs Angus_Young went to the Grill. Interesting place :)

On 19/08/2016 at 11:06 AM, slasher said:

Can you define interesting?

Just because it wasn't what I expected. From from the outside it looks like a hovel, to the point I was wondering if I'd misheard the guy that recommended it. Inside, it's what I would define as a proper old school boozer so if you are looking for one of those soulless, unimaginative, modern pubs then this won't be for you. They must have literally hundreds of whiskys to choose from, if that's your thing. Best thing for me though, is the layout of the place. They have tables directly across from the long bar, but only one long seat so that everyone is effectively facing into the middle of the pub. You simply can't not talk to someone because of it. It has a real 'local' feel to it which is unusual for a City Centre and i could imagine wasting an afternoon or three in there if I lived closer.  As it was we went in for one and ended up staying for 4 or 5. 

Highly recommend stopping in. 

On 8/19/2016 at 0:06 PM, slasher said:

Can you define interesting?

As Angus_Young said - good range of whisky's with many variation on same brand but with all the different years

Proper old school barmen

original flooring etc etc

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/the-grill-aberdeen?select=_19Bcmivf_d94cqUYgPLbA

Only got women's toilets around 15-20 years ago, so guys used to go there as excuse to bin the women - used to be 2 bars in Aberdeen that did not have women's toilets - Only started serving women in 1975 

http://thegrillaberdeen.co.uk/history.html -

https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-grill-aberdeen

Edited by euan2020

• 3 months later...