Scotland Players In Action 2016/17 - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

ErsatzThistle

4 hours ago, girvanTA said:

I know he is a long way off from being an automatic pick or even just involved in the squad, but I quite liked the performance of Stuart Armstrong after coming on as a sub, I would imagine he would be a straight swap for Brown at Celtic if Brown gets injured

Different position

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

No surprises from me, but I thought McKay was different class today, as was Tierney.

McKay played well, still needs to learn a bit but hes young and defos one of rangers best players. Confident in himself too.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Tartan Tarantula said:

Sure, some nice moments but there were times when he was too close to the supporting player and didn't present himself for the layoff. Anyways, the German commentators were doing the Rooney thing. Buuuuurke, Buuuuurke etc.

I agree. I noticed he was playing centrally though. Seems like he's used to being out on the wing but managers (Strachan against Malta, and now the Leipzig manager) are trying to use him as centre forward?

10 hours ago, Tartan Tarantula said:

Sure, some nice moments but there were times when he was too close to the supporting player and didn't present himself for the layoff. Anyways, the German commentators were doing the Rooney thing. Buuuuurke, Buuuuurke etc.

The kid has only been playing first team football for 8 months....

He's obviously not going to have his positional sense down to a fine art, especially when its maybe only the second or third game he's played in the central area in his career.

What is evident is that his physical attributes are top drawer for a 19 year old, and he has a skill set that I've never witnessed in a Scot in the modern era.

23 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Sadly there will no doubt be the usual pwicks in the Scottish media that actually want the kid to fail so they can have a story. 

Aye so they can link him to one of the old firm probably.

Not too sure I agree yet that he he's the next world class/50million pound player yet. Surely the last 20 odd years has taught us to proceed with caution with regards to young players. 

42 minutes ago, BraveheartGordon said:

What is evident is that his physical attributes are top drawer for a 19 year old, and he has a skill set that I've never witnessed in a Scot in the modern era.

Agreed. Different sport but he reminds me of seeing Andy Murray at Wimbledon for the first time. Massive potential. 

28 minutes ago, JECK said:

Not too sure I agree yet that he he's the next world class/50million pound player yet. Surely the last 20 odd years has taught us to proceed with caution with regards to young players. 

You can bet your bank account that one of the questions he'll be asked when he eventually meets Chic Young or Keith Jackson will be "So who do you prefer, Celtic or Rangers ?":banghead:

1 hour ago, JECK said:

I agree. We have seen it a lot even in the last ten years and a lot of those players have either sunk without trace or their career has stalled. Players such Chris Foy, Michael Stewart, the Somali player at Celtic and hope we will not be assigning Ryan Gauld and Jack Harper to that list.

1 hour ago, JECK said:

I didn't actually say World Class, £50m doesn't necessarily buy that. He's got the attributes that the big clubs cannot ignore and they'll pay whopping fees for him throughout his career. He showed in 20 minutes last night he's got a lot to his game. He played a sensational pass from deep, while under pressure, to send the striker clean through, then a good dribble and pass for the goal. Add blinding pace and power and clubs will be falling over themselves.

14 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I didn't actually say World Class, £50m doesn't necessarily buy that. He's got the attributes that the big clubs cannot ignore and they'll pay whopping fees for him throughout his career. He showed in 20 minutes last night he's got a lot to his game. He played a sensational pass from deep, while under pressure, to send the striker clean through, then a good dribble and pass for the goal. Add blinding pace and power and clubs will be falling over themselves.

£50 million is world class apart from that completely agree.

20 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree. We have seen it a lot even in the last ten years and a lot of those players have either sunk without trace or their career has stalled. Players such Chris Foy, Michael Stewart, the Somali player at Celtic and hope we will not be assigning Ryan Gauld and Jack Harper to that list.

Burke is 19 and has been a first team regular for a quite a while. Something Harper and Gauld have not managed; so, yes, we can write them off. Rooney made it at 16, Rashford at 18. You are either good enough or you are not. The only one with the tag 'wonderkid' I can think has made it is Snodgrass. Fleck? Fyvie? Even Ricky Gillies was a wonderkid. Oh, and where is Calvin Miller?

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Burke is 19 and has been a first team regular for a quite a while. Something Harper and Gauld have not managed; so, yes, we can write them off. Rooney made it at 16, Rashford at 18. You are either good enough or you are not. The only one with the tag 'wonderkid' I can think has made it is Snodgrass. Fleck? Fyvie? Even Ricky Gillies was a wonderkid. Oh, and where is Calvin Miller?

The point is a lot of young players have been enthused over and people pinned high hopes on them being Scotland's future and they flopped hence why people are urging caution. Sure get Burke in the Scotland side and let him get on with it but no need for people to be heaping even more pressure on by making bold statements about what he'll do. In short sit back and let him get on with it rather than spouting off then ending up disappointed and with enough egg on the face to make a large omelette. 

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The point is a lot of young players have been enthused over and people pinned high hopes on them being Scotland's future and they flopped hence why people are urging caution. Sure get Burke in the Scotland side and let him get on with it but no need for people to be heaping even more pressure on by making bold statements about what he'll do. In short sit back and let him get on with it rather than spouting off then ending up disappointed and with enough egg on the face to make a large omelette. 

What shall we talk about then, cooking?

14 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I think Gauld could be an exception, he is only now developing physically. If he fills out sufficiently I think he'll be a terrific player. It took Snodgrass till his mid 20s before fulfilling his potential.

22 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

fleck's hype was laughable, it was clear to most people outside of the rangers biased media he didn't have anything about him once he started getting games, can remember the outcry that he wasnt in the scotland squad let alone starting against holland because he had scored a penalty. beckham getting asked about him after a friendly was extremely cringe worthy. snodgrass only had a bit of hype about him nothing out of the ordinary. fyvie again wasnt lauded as being some superstar in the making, just mark mcghee slavering about all this young players at that time, a lot of my aberdeen mates couldnt care less about him leaving to wigan at that time. calvin miller is just 18 and has signed a new 3 year deal, he looked good when playing for scotland u16s but so did ali coote (what happend to him?)

8 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

fleck's hype was laughable, it was clear to most people outside of the rangers biased media he didn't have anything about him once he started getting games, can remember the outcry that he wasnt in the scotland squad let alone starting against holland because he had scored a penalty. beckham getting asked about him after a friendly was extremely cringe worthy. snodgrass only had a bit of hype about him nothing out of the ordinary. fyvie again wasnt lauded as being some superstar in the making, just mark mcghee slavering about all this young players at that time, a lot of my aberdeen mates couldnt care less about him leaving to wigan at that time. calvin miller is just 18 and has signed a new 3 year deal, he looked good when playing for scotland u16s but so did ali coote (what happend to him?)

I do remember clearly Snoddy scoring for Livi at 17 and being billed 'wonderkid' or 'hitkid' but I think injury hampered his progress. Hope you are right about Miller. Remember Fyvie being called the 'new Paul Scholes' by Craig Brown. Also, I have high hopes for Lewis (no pun intended) Mcleod, who provided an assist yesterday.

6 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Kingsley apparently playing in central defence against Chelsea. Probably left of a 3, with 2 wing backs deployed. Interesting......

Yip thats exactly whats happening. Hopefully he has a cracking game and is  another option for our centre backs

50 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Kingsley apparently playing in central defence against Chelsea. Probably left of a 3, with 2 wing backs deployed. Interesting......

That lasted all of 40 minutes, now back to left back.  I think it's going to be a long hard season for Swansea, fancy them to be relegated.