Scotland Players In Action 2016/17 - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

ErsatzThistle

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Hanley plays on the left for us but is right footed.

In an ideal situation you would have one left sided and one right sided CB but there's really no problem with having two right sided or two left sided, because they are, well centre backs.  More an issue with full backs. 

Our problem is a lack of good centre halves full stop.

1 hour ago, borojock said:

ryan gauld not even on bench today, i hope hes injured if not im starting to get worried about his lack of playing time i know its early days but i dont think hes barely played for this new team. Worrying. 

"the ex-Tannadice player is currently working on his match fitness and hopes to make his debut soon."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ryan-gauld-one-top-prospects-8811932

13 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Burke is 19 and has been a first team regular for a quite a while. Something Harper and Gauld have not managed; so, yes, we can write them off. Rooney made it at 16, Rashford at 18. You are either good enough or you are not. The only one with the tag 'wonderkid' I can think has made it is Snodgrass. Fleck? Fyvie? Even Ricky Gillies was a wonderkid. Oh, and where is Calvin Miller?

Writing them off at that young? Really?

13 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I've actually got a good omelette recipe.

Eggs

6 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Does it matter whether a player is left or right footed when he is playing as a central defender ?

You have to remember that about half of this board get their football 'expertise' from Championship Manager. :lol:

15 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Lewis Macleod in very good form judging by the highlights v Brighton on YouTube. Natural replacement for Darren Fletcher when the time comes, albeit Brentford have temporarily stuck him on the left wing.

Lewis Macleod played very well. I was at the AMEX and the Whole Brentford team looked good. Mind you Brighton were just not at the races at all. Murphy started well 30 mins or so then like the rest of the team just disappeared

17 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Lewis Macleod in very good form judging by the highlights v Brighton on YouTube. Natural replacement for Darren Fletcher when the time comes, albeit Brentford have temporarily stuck him on the left wing.

There was someone on Talksport last week talking about the "Moneyball" process of signing players that Brentford are using to get players and sounded a lot more complex and advanced than I first thought it was, so sounds like MacLeod must have had to pass a number of factors for getting signed for Brentford.

20 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

fleck's hype was laughable, it was clear to most people outside of the rangers biased media he didn't have anything about him once he started getting games, can remember the outcry that he wasnt in the scotland squad let alone starting against holland because he had scored a penalty. beckham getting asked about him after a friendly was extremely cringe worthy. snodgrass only had a bit of hype about him nothing out of the ordinary. fyvie again wasnt lauded as being some superstar in the making, just mark mcghee slavering about all this young players at that time, a lot of my aberdeen mates couldnt care less about him leaving to wigan at that time. calvin miller is just 18 and has signed a new 3 year deal, he looked good when playing for scotland u16s but so did ali coote (what happend to him?)

Thing with Fleck is, there has been glimpse of a player being there, but just do not think he has the drive to reach his full potential..... there was a Arsenal v Coventry League Cup game a few years back and Fleck was getting praised to the high heavens for his performance that night, and the Coventry fans seemed to love him as one of the stand out players in a very poor team.

At 25 though and playing in League 1, I think that boat sailed long ago for him though.

20 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I do remember clearly Snoddy scoring for Livi at 17 and being billed 'wonderkid' or 'hitkid' but I think injury hampered his progress. 

Snoddy was one of the stand out players at the 2006 U19 championships and lived off the hype with his link with Barcelona for a number of years.... for a long time I never saw the appeal with him, but it was his final season at Leeds where I started to see the appeal in him, and think now we are starting to see him reach his full potential. 

8 hours ago, BremnerLorimerGray said:

Hanley and Fletcher score in tonight's Championship card.  A few of Celtics Scotland players on the receiving end of a roasting in the Nou Camp.

Apart from one clean air swipe, I thought Tierney did reasonabyl well.  He should work on his right foot, he panicked when he was forced across the face of his box. Great news about Hanley.

In the space of two or three months things on the goalkeeping front has gone from being very rosy to very worrying. We had Craig Gordon, Allan McGregor and David Marshall all first team regulars and we were spoilt for choice. Now that has changed. Gordon out of favour at Celtic, McGregor injured and now perhaps third choice (when fit) at Hull with no real prospect of a future at the club and Marshall having moved to Hull only selected for the bench. Not good at all.