Scotland Players In Action 2016/17 - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

ErsatzThistle

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Ronnie Simpson made his debut at 36!

luckily seems to be a few keepers comming through at a decent age dont know if there any good but you have Bain, 24, Fulton, 20, Hamilton, 22, Archer, 23, Zander Clarke who got a lot of praise from manager yesterday at 24. Hopefully one or two of them can turn out to be decent 

42 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

Dorrans back in first 11 for Norwich, scored a screamer yesterday.

Always rated him, just been very unlucky due to personal issues and injuries.

Decent player but he's yesterday's man. Never seems to have found any sort of consistency since his 'breakthrough' season when WBA got promoted 6 or 7 years ago.

6 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

Decent player but he's yesterday's man. Never seems to have found any sort of consistency since his 'breakthrough' season when WBA got promoted 6 or 7 years ago.

Totally agree. I thought he was going to be our main man for ages and then you realise 6/7 years have went by, but for whatever reason it's never worked out and it's not going to now. Capable of brilliance as well, not sure what's happened there.

3 hours ago, JECK said:

Totally agree. I thought he was going to be our main man for ages and then you realise 6/7 years have went by, but for whatever reason it's never worked out and it's not going to now. Capable of brilliance as well, not sure what's happened there.

He was certainly primed to be the one to take over from Darren Fletcher when Fletch had his health issues, yet problems in his family life held him back, and when Strachan decided to try Dorrans and McArthur together in midfield against Wales (which at the time seemed a good idea as we had been crying out for something "new" for a while), which backfired and kind of put Strachan off him.

10 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

Considering his personal issues it's not really fair to write him off IMO. At 29 he could still regain the form that saw him in the squad. If he is fit and playing every week we would be daft not to keep an open mind. Not saying you guys are wrong saying his time is passed, just I'm not sure he is done just yet.

4 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Considering his personal issues it's not really fair to write him off IMO. At 29 he could still regain the form that saw him in the squad. If he is fit and playing every week we would be daft not to keep an open mind. Not saying you guys are wrong saying his time is passed, just I'm not sure he is done just yet.

Totally agree, Fletcher was written off and is now an ever present for West Brom and reinstated as our captain.

If playing every week I'd certainly have Dorrans back in our squad ahead of McDonald.

We can't really afford to write anyone off.

On 9/18/2016 at 3:55 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Marshall will start to get games for Hull within the next few weeks. Nothing to panic about.

I think Gordon's got a much better chance of getting a regular place within a few weeks.

The guy at Hull seems to be doing quite well, whereas De Vries is murder.... Barely seen a goalkeeper at that level that had such an ability to make the goal seem bigger whenever the opponent has an effort on goal.

To me Dorrans and Cairney are better in the number 10 type role that should belong firmly to Snoddy at this point. Tbh I've seen very from of Dorrans when he's played for us that suggests he's good enough to make a difference. He mostly just gave the ball away from what I recall. Cairney's a good little player, but is probably still on the fringe of the squad right now.

McDonald's more of a deep sitting player, so the Fletcher, Bannan, McArthur position. He's decent from what i've seen (tho i've barely seen Fulham yet this season) and keeps possession well. He's also huge. 6'4" or so.. which is handy, especially to give some serious physicality if we're playing Bannan as the 2nd defensive mid. He's worth the spot in my opinion, we pick a team after all, you cant just play forwards.

2 hours ago, girvanTA said:

Cairney is a cracking player. Dont know why we havent called him up 

Well during the last campaign we had players playing better in his position, if not for us, then for their clubs..
Maloney, Morrison, Naismith, Bryson, Dorrans.

And teh squad for Malta.. well the midfield of that squad seemed like a really good selection, so.. he's just got to be patient. His move to Fulham seems like it may pay off this season as they don't look like they're going to struggle for once. Maybe the downside is he's been moved out onto the right wing.. which is going to be a tough one to make his own for the national side. Ritchie, Forrest, Burke and Snoddy can all play there, so it's not going to be easy for him.

4 hours ago, andyD said:

To me Dorrans and Cairney are better in the number 10 type role that should belong firmly to Snoddy at this point. Tbh I've seen very from of Dorrans when he's played for us that suggests he's good enough to make a difference. He mostly just gave the ball away from what I recall. Cairney's a good little player, but is probably still on the fringe of the squad right now.

McDonald's more of a deep sitting player, so the Fletcher, Bannan, McArthur position. He's decent from what i've seen (tho i've barely seen Fulham yet this season) and keeps possession well. He's also huge. 6'4" or so.. which is handy, especially to give some serious physicality if we're playing Bannan as the 2nd defensive mid. He's worth the spot in my opinion, we pick a team after all, you cant just play forwards.

31 minutes ago, andyD said:

Well during the last campaign we had players playing better in his position, if not for us, then for their clubs..
Maloney, Morrison, Naismith, Bryson, Dorrans.

And teh squad for Malta.. well the midfield of that squad seemed like a really good selection, so.. he's just got to be patient. His move to Fulham seems like it may pay off this season as they don't look like they're going to struggle for once. Maybe the downside is he's been moved out onto the right wing.. which is going to be a tough one to make his own for the national side. Ritchie, Forrest, Burke and Snoddy can all play there, so it's not going to be easy for him.

Well said a lot better than the simplistic opinions a lot of us post about squad selections on here.