Scotland Players In Action 2016/17 - Page 27 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

ErsatzThistle

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny board this, Scotland had six players involved in a champions league game against one of the strongest teams in Europe, not worth a mention

Then the most improved player in Scottish football barely gets a mention despite two goals and another MOTM performance in the SPFL.

Scottish football is septic-a component of a small scale sewage disposal system.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Funny board this, Scotland had six players involved in a champions league game against one of the strongest teams in Europe, not worth a mention

Then the most improved player in Scottish football barely gets a mention despite two goals and another MOTM performance in the SPFL.

Scottish football is septic-a component of a small scale sewage disposal system.

dry-your-eyes-mate-12-actors-with-the-be

16 hours ago, kumnio said:

dry-your-eyes-mate-12-actors-with-the-be

DeCapriLOL.

i think the reason armstrong barely got a mention is because of the general apathy and lack of posting just now. would have him starting if he keeps this form up, him and brown in the middle.

in other news gauld played the whole match in a 2-0 win

13 hours ago, Ormond said:

Burke on at 55 minutes as Leipzig were beaten by Ingolstadt. Leipzig manager could move to Arsenal by all accounts. I wonder how that will affect Burke.

seems to be lined up as a replacement for wenger, wouldnt bet on wenger retiring at the end of the season if they win the league or get close to it.

6 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

DeCapriLOL.

i think the reason armstrong barely got a mention is because of the general apathy and lack of posting just now. would have him starting if he keeps this form up, him and brown in the middle.

in other news gauld played the whole match in a 2-0 win

Not having a go at you but I feel this is where we go wrong as a country football wise. We constantly think players playing well in Scotland means that they are good without taking into account the standard of opposition. 

Almost every player over the past 10 years who has been held up as a Scotland starter that has moved to England or abroad has failed to make an impact.

Surely the best team comes from players who play week in week out at the highest level because A) they are used to playing against better opposition and B) they are being picked to play at that higher level.

Armstrong is a prospect, no better and should be nowhere near the starting 11 until he plays at a higher level every week than the other options in the squad. McArthur, Fletcher, Morrison, Adam in EPL, then you have the likes of Bannan and others in the Championship.

Griffiths is another classic example. He scores goals for the best team in the league against defenders who would be lucky to get a game in league 1 yet we think that justifys him a starting spot.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Not having a go at you but I feel this is where we go wrong as a country football wise. We constantly think players playing well in Scotland means that they are good without taking into account the standard of opposition. 

Almost every player over the past 10 years who has been held up as a Scotland starter that has moved to England or abroad has failed to make an impact.

Surely the best team comes from players who play week in week out at the highest level because A) they are used to playing against better opposition and B) they are being picked to play at that higher level.

Armstrong is a prospect, no better and should be nowhere near the starting 11 until he plays at a higher level every week than the other options in the squad. McArthur, Fletcher, Morrison, Adam in EPL, then you have the likes of Bannan and others in the Championship.

Griffiths is another classic example. He scores goals for the best team in the league against defenders who would be lucky to get a game in league 1 yet we think that justifys him a starting spot.

Totally agree - all 4 goals scored on Friday were laughable from a defensive point of view.  Griffiths looked world class but the reality is he's up against dross that just can't defend. Can you imagine him waltzing through the thistle defence like he did constantly if he was up against an EPL side. Not a chance.

Edited by JECK

armstrong was immense against city the other night in the champions league and is right on form, when was the last time fletcher, mcarthur, morrison or adam put in an above average performance for scotland? we need to have a different option for center mid, someone with energy that can actually create something and score goals. fletcher is long since finished, adam is slower than a week in jail and cant press or run with the ball and morrison hasnt done anything for years 

Edited by LewisEDI

13 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Because the current midfield have excelled recently so we should show faith and keep with our losing formula.

Are you Gordon Strachan?

Armstrong is playing in the champions league and on good form in Europe and domestically - How many of our other midfielders can we say that for?

If Darren Fletcher was a dog you'd consider putting him out his misery, Bannan was a joke in the recent qualifiers and Adam is playing semi regular and quite well but there's more chance of Strachan picking Derek Riordan than Adam after his recent comments.

Edited by ProudScot

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, runningtings said:

Aye we need to freshen up the midfield, get Armstrong in.

Darren Fletcher slows the game down too much to be honest, not sure if Broon's heart will be in it for the long run either now.

Has he committed to longer now?  I think if he has, his heart will be in it. I thought it was just for the one game.

8 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

armstrong was immense against city the other night in the champions league and is right on form, when was the last time fletcher, mcarthur, morrison or adam put in an above average performance for scotland? we need to have a different option for center mid, someone with energy that can actually create something and score goals. fletcher is long since finished, adam is slower than a week in jail and cant press or run with the ball and morrison hasnt done anything for years 

People list the faults of players such ad Fletcher, Adam, Morrison etc however they are all still playing at a higher level. If they were as bad as people suggest they wouldnt be getting a game at that level. Likewise if Armstrong or any other scottish based player was as good as people say they would be playing at that level.

They arent, why? because no manager in the EPL or championship agrees.  If they did then they would have been bought.  Its a pretty simple rule that the best players play in the best leagues. There is the odd exception but as a rule its true. 

Why dont we pick players from the likes of Livingston etc. They are flying atm and some players look fantastic. Answer. Its all about levels.

Adam, Fletcher and Morrison would all walk into every single team in Scotland. 

For me its not about slagging off individual players. I actually like Armstrong both on and off the pitch. Its about recognising that he is playing at a much lesser level and realising that nomatter how good he looks playing there that it holds less weight. 

4 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

People list the faults of players such ad Fletcher, Adam, Morrison etc however they are all still playing at a higher level. If they were as bad as people suggest they wouldnt be getting a game at that level. Likewise if Armstrong or any other scottish based player was as good as people say they would be playing at that level.

They arent, why? because no manager in the EPL or championship agrees.  If they did then they would have been bought.  Its a pretty simple rule that the best players play in the best leagues. There is the odd exception but as a rule its true. 

Why dont we pick players from the likes of Livingston etc. They are flying atm and some players look fantastic. Answer. Its all about levels.

For me its not about slagging off individual players. I actually like Armstrong both on and off the pitch. Its about recognising that he is playing at a much lesser level and realising that nomatter how good he looks playing there that it holds less weight. 

Great post, I totally agree. We are where we are with the quality of players available.

However, many posters on here believe that another manager would get more from those available and also pick some the current manager does not. Different debate.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Fletcher, Morrison and Adam given recent form wouldn't walk into the Celtic midfield. You could argue Brown, Armstrong and Rogic would walk into the Scotland team (and two probably will next game).

James Morrison has started five EPL games this season and Charlie Adam six, both for two mediocre teams. They are both over 30 and some want them in the Scotland squad!!!! Don't bother arguing that age doesn't matter, that only applies to great players. Charlie Adam should have more caps but his time has been and gone. 

Started a thread before the campaign began about a wholesale clear out, wish we had.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Fletcher, Morrison and Adam given recent form wouldn't walk into the Celtic midfield. You could argue Brown, Armstrong and Rogic would walk into the Scotland team (and two probably will next game).

If thats the case would you expect Stoke and West Brom to be bidding for Armstrong and Rogic in January? Or any other EPL clubs ir even Championship clubs Both could be picked up for 5m each which is nothing to either of these clubs. 

We are kidding ourselves if we think EPL players wouldnt walk into any team in Scotland. 

8 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

If thats the case would you expect Stoke and West Brom to be bidding for Armstrong and Rogic in January? Or any other EPL clubs ir even Championship clubs Both could be picked up for 5m each which is nothing to either of these clubs. 

We are kidding ourselves if we think EPL players wouldnt walk into any team in Scotland. 

Most would but not the ones mentioned in the case of Celtic.

On 12/12/2016 at 7:50 PM, Diamond Scot said:

That to me is the perfect post. Like you i quite like Arnstrong but it is all about levels and consequently difficult to judge if he should be in the team at the expense of Fletcher and Morrison.

It will be interesting to see who Rogers brings in during the January window. They have been heavily linked with James McCarthy who similar to Charlie Adam and James Morrison has been in and out of his side this season but if he signs for Celtic he will walk into their side possibly at the expense of Armstrong.

Plus i feel there seems to be a degree of inconsistency on this board about the quality of the SPFL and its quality in comparison with other leagues. When it was pointed out that James Forrest was excellent against Aberdeen in the League Cup final and has been one of  Celtic's best performers this season many on here were quick to claim that he only looks good because he is playing for the best team at a poor level. When it comes to Armstrong (and Grrffiths for that matter) that argument, for many, doesn't seem to be so relevant.

Edited by Wolfgang Overthebar
spell