Scotland Players In Action 2016/17 - Page 34 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

ErsatzThistle

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

man of the match in his scotland debut, played well on as a sub against slovakia and created our only clear cut chance. who do u think is a more likely prospect ?

I would sooner Ryan Fraser was picked in the next squad . We have plenty of options in Mcginn's position 

11 hours ago, noctonjock said:

I would sooner Ryan Fraser was picked in the next squad . We have plenty of options in Mcginn's position 

Given that they are completely different types of players I'm not sure why it has to be an "or".

People miss the fact that John McGinn played 80-odd games for St. Mirren in the SPL before joining Hibs so it's not as if he's lacking experience playing at the higher level.  

Armstrong- Phillips- Fraser all need to be in the next squad let's hope Rhodes gets a move and starts putting the ball in the net.

Defo time for a clear out - I don't get the players are not good enough bull - My option  player for player we are  better than N.Ireland - Rep Ireland - Wales get a manager in that's hungry and believes in his players and sort our scouting network out.

go 3-5-2 it would suit us 

12 minutes ago, Scout said:

Armstrong- Phillips- Fraser all need to be in the next squad let's hope Rhodes gets a move and starts putting the ball in the net.

Defo time for a clear out - I don't get the players are not good enough bull - My option  player for player we are  better than N.Ireland - Rep Ireland - Wales get a manager in that's hungry and believes in his players and sort our scouting network out.

:lol: :lol:

I'll have some of what your having.

Name these Scottish mediocrities who are better than the likes of Gareth Bale, Aaron Ramsey, Ashley Williams and Ben Davies for Wales and Séamus Coleman, Shane Long, Ciaran Clark, Robbie Brady and Wes Hoolahan for Ireland ?

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Name these Scottish mediocrities who are better than the likes of Gareth Bale, Aaron Ramsey, Ashley Williams and Ben Davies for Wales and Séamus Coleman, Shane Long, Ciaran Clark, Robbie Brady and Wes Hoolahan for Ireland ?

If your point is the players listed are better than our options, then surely we beat Wales 7-4 and Ireland 6-5, therefor are better? 

The two Norwich players are no better than our players, but agree the others are.

34 minutes ago, kumnio said:

If your point is the players listed are better than our options, then surely we beat Wales 7-4 and Ireland 6-5, therefor are better? 

The two Norwich players are no better than our players, but agree the others are.

Hoolahan and Brady are very good players. Wales and Ireland would beat us at present.

It's time to be honest with ourselves here. Our team is pish at present.

It's painful for me to say but it's the truth, we are fecking awful.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 hour ago, Scout said:

Stick in Tom Cairney as well, cracking player

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:04 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Hoolahan and Brady are very good players. Wales and Ireland would beat us at present.

We aren't great but the real issue is poor management. Once that is changed we can start improving.

9 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

With Strachan in charge and his pick she we would .get beaten by the Welsh and Irish but with a fresh manager and on form players picked I'd be confident we would win. 

Hoolahan and Brady may be decent but they are no better than what we have. The only part I agree with is the Welsh, they have 3-4 players that we could only dream of having. We can only hope the likes of Burke, Fraser or any other player with potential realises this potential and plays ata high level throughout their career.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

With Strachan in charge and his pick she we would .get beaten by the Welsh and Irish but with a fresh manager and on form players picked I'd be confident we would win. 

A largely complicit media, the SFA, a gaggle of rent a quote out of work managers, and (obviously) the current management team would have us believe that what we are seeing is the best that can be done with the current crop of players. Utter pish but a lot of our fans completely swallow this. 

Edited by Return of Yermaw

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 5:34 PM, kumnio said:

Strachan managed the Barca 5s team of Ter Stegen, Busquets, Messi, Suarez and Neymar against Jim Duffys Morton 5s. 

Duffys team won, true story.

Yeah but Strachan did the best he could and no other manager would have done any better...

7 hours ago, Scout said:

I think pretty much everyone would agree that Armstrong and Fraser need to be in the next squad, if not the starting line up. Philips needs to show he's interested and motivated to play for us and doesn't just want international football on his cv.

Mulgrew should be back in, Adam is worth a place in the squad and Hutton may still be the best option at RB while Paterson is injured.

Middlesborough are the joint lowest scorers in the Prem and Rhodes still can't get off the bench. Looks like the championship is his level, explains why Prem clubs didn't take a punt on him when he was banging in the goals. If he goes back to the championship and starts scoring again, he should be back in the squad.

Apart from CBs, we are def better than Northern Ireland. They are way better than the sum of their parts which proves it can be done.

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Ok Bale is different class  - Williams is a decent centre back not top drawer - Ramsey our midfield could compete against him if we pick the right players - Republic Ireland Coleman is a very good full back the others are average - pick the right players play the right system  make us hard to beat 3-5-2  - point being we could be so much better yes we lack top centre backs and a top centre forward  but that's where a scouting network comes must be an up and coming centre back and forward somewhere -Naismith is another one that could do with a move playing regular he a good player that gives his all - I agree look at cairney and bring Hutton and Adam back into to squad .

7 hours ago, Scout said:

Ok Bale is different class  - Williams is a decent centre back not top drawer - Ramsey our midfield could compete against him if we pick the right players - Republic Ireland Coleman is a very good full back the others are average - pick the right players play the right system  make us hard to beat 3-5-2  - point being we could be so much better yes we lack top centre backs and a top centre forward  but that's where a scouting network comes must be an up and coming centre back and forward somewhere -Naismith is another one that could do with a move playing regular he a good player that gives his all - I agree look at cairney and bring Hutton and Adam back into to squad .

Bale, Williams, Clark, Brady, Davies, Coleman and Hoolahan would walk into our starting XI. 

Keep kidding yourself on that we're a sleeping giant. We aren't.

Hutton and Adam back in the team, dear oh dear.

5 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Bale, Williams, Clark, Brady, Davies, Coleman and Hoolahan would walk into our starting XI. 

Keep kidding yourself on that we're a sleeping giant. We aren't.

Hutton and Adam back in the team, dear oh dear.

Marshall, Tierney, Robertson, Brown, Fletcher, Burke would walk into the other teams.

Your points bizarre and lop sided.

On 08/01/2017 at 9:29 AM, aaid said:

People miss the fact that John McGinn played 80-odd games for St. Mirren in the SPL before joining Hibs so it's not as if he's lacking experience playing at the higher level.  

Agreed and if wasn't for footballers "banter" he'd already be playing at a much higher level

10 hours ago, kumnio said:

Marshall, Tierney, Robertson, Brown, Fletcher, Burke would walk into the other teams.

Your points bizarre and lop sided.

I think Wales and Ireland would probably pass on Brown and Fletcher.

Marshall is a good keeper but so are Wayne Hennessey of Wales, Darren Randolph and Keiren Westwood of Ireland - in fact all four of the keepers mentioned are just as good as one another.

Appreciate your trying to be positive about Scottish players but a bit of cold hearted realism is needed here too. We're really kidding ourselves on if we are thinking other nations envy our pool of players. 

44 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I think Wales and Ireland would probably pass on Brown and Fletcher.

Marshall is a good keeper but so are Wayne Hennessey of Wales, Darren Randolph and Keiren Westwood of Ireland - in fact all four of the keepers mentioned are just as good as one another.

Appreciate your trying to be positive about Scottish players but a bit of cold hearted realism is needed here too. We're really kidding ourselves on if we are thinking other nations envy our pool of players. 

Yes, but this type of football conversation typically follows a standard and predictable tit-for-tat where eventually either Messi or Ronaldo is the best player to have ever walked the earth and the other is a used-car salesman incapable of identifying a ball, never mind kicking one.

The fact of the matter, and no reasonable person could deny, is that we play as less than the sum of our parts.  As much as Wales have some better players (yes they do, but only 3 or 4), they made it to the last 4 of the Euros - far further than they should have on paper, with Bale or not.

Northern Ireland also significantly out perform their limited resources.  

We on the other hand play well within ourselves.  Unless of course you're going to convince me that a team consisting of Gary Teale, Stephen Pearson et al was better player-for-player than what we currently have?  Not a chance.