Scotland Players In Action 2016/17 - Page 38 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

ErsatzThistle

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Demolished their full back on numerous occasions in the first half. It's a sad turn of events for many.

What did he do after he demolished the full back? Phuk all as usual?

James Forrest Mark II.

12 minutes ago, Marky said:

What did he do after he demolished the full back? Phuk all as usual?

James Forrest Mark II.

While I agree wholeheartedly James Forrest is gash and shouldn't get in a squad ever again, I do think McKay has a bit more something which makes him more of a talent than him.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

While I agree wholeheartedly James Forrest is gash and shouldn't get in a squad ever again, I do think McKay has a bit more something which makes him more of a talent than him.

Tough argument to make given the stats.

McKay: Played 20, Goals 2, Assist 4.
Forrest: Played 14, Goals 4, Assist 5.

Given that Rangers are doing well, his numbers are pretty bad.

Forget Forrest if you like, compare him to the wide men at Aberdeen and Hearts. He has significantly worse numbers than all of them. McGinn, Cowie, Hayes and Walker. You can carry on down the league table for players in wide positions.. Swanson at st Johnstone, Boyce at Ross Country, Erskine at Partick, Coulibaly at Kilmarnock.. they all have much better stats that McKay.

I'm not saying "he's rubbish, forget about him", because I'd agree he has shown promise. But, he's not a kid anymore, he's 22 now. He needs to start turning promise into end product. For me he's not even close to being in the squad. In the wing slots, he's behind Burke, Snodgrass, Philips, Fraser, Anya, Forrest, Ritchie, Murphy, Boyd and probably even Naismith.

I hope McKay comes good, but he currently has no end product.

25 minutes ago, andyD said:

Tough argument to make given the stats.

McKay: Played 20, Goals 2, Assist 4.
Forrest: Played 14, Goals 4, Assist 5.

Given that Rangers are doing well, his numbers are pretty bad.

Forget Forrest if you like, compare him to the wide men at Aberdeen and Hearts. He has significantly worse numbers than all of them. McGinn, Cowie, Hayes and Walker. You can carry on down the league table for players in wide positions.. Swanson at st Johnstone, Boyce at Ross Country, Erskine at Partick, Coulibaly at Kilmarnock.. they all have much better stats that McKay.

I'm not saying "he's rubbish, forget about him", because I'd agree he has shown promise. But, he's not a kid anymore, he's 22 now. He needs to start turning promise into end product. For me he's not even close to being in the squad. In the wing slots, he's behind Burke, Snodgrass, Philips, Fraser, Anya, Forrest, Ritchie, Murphy, Boyd and probably even Naismith.

Some of you lot need to watch out for type 2 diabetes with the amount of humble pie you'll need to eat when McKay graces one of the top leagues.

Edited by er yir macaroon

14 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Some of you lot need to watch out for type 2 diabetes with the amount of humble pie you'll need to eat when McKay graces one of the top leagues.

Lay off the smack.

He can't even set the SPFL on fire never mind a decent league.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

14 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

:lol: 

I hope you're right but he's shown nothing to suggest that he'll be capable of doing that. 

26 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

On surely a unanimous note, Burke's burst of pace and finish against Rangers was tremendous. He needs to play in March.

I don't think id be too disappointed if we just started him up front with Snoddy behind him. Playing on the wing he will be expected to defend more, he's far better going the other way although tracking back is something they are working on at RB.

Either way, assuming he's still fit. He has to start.

9 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

I don't think id be too disappointed if we just started him up front with Snoddy behind him. Playing on the wing he will be expected to defend more, he's far better going the other way although tracking back is something they are working on at RB.

Either way, assuming he's still fit. He has to start.

Agreed, could be the best policy for the moment. I really hope Gauld makes the breakthrough because his vision and defence splitting passes in the final third is exactly what's required to get the best from Burke. 

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Agreed, could be the best policy for the moment. I really hope Gauld makes the breakthrough because his vision and defence splitting passes in the final third is exactly what's required to get the best from Burke. 

If this game v Canada is ever confirmed Gauld is one of the many uncapped fringe players if you like who may/should get a run out. Sadly I doubt  our managers ability to try Gauld or any of them. I have doubts in his ability to pick Burke too. 

On 14 January 2017 at 8:17 PM, ProudScot said:

Fairly sure that was all proven to b e bollocks wasn't it!?

I didn't realise that the civil trial had taken place.   The judge has just ruled that Goodwillie raped the girl and have awarded £100k in compensation.  

17 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

You've not read what I wrote then. :)

He's not good enough right now. The stats are plain to see, he's probably not even in the top 10 wingers I the SPL right now. Could he improve? Yes. And I hope he does. But at the moment he's one of those players who has good moments and no end product. To become a genuinely good player he needs to start producing. Compare him to Ryan Fraser who has more end product having played half as many games at a much higher level. It's pretty clear which one should get a call up.

43 minutes ago, andyD said:

You've not read what I wrote then. :)

He's not good enough right now. The stats are plain to see, he's probably not even in the top 10 wingers I the SPL right now. Could he improve? Yes. And I hope he does. But at the moment he's one of those players who has good moments and no end product. To become a genuinely good player he needs to start producing. Compare him to Ryan Fraser who has more end product having played half as many games at a much higher level. It's pretty clear which one should get a call up.

No dispute from me that Fraser should be called up. He was rank rotten for the u21s (as was McKay) so it shows how things can change for players.

27 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Christoph Berra in action tonight for Ipswich in FA Cup replay at Lincoln. Unfortunately, he looks more like a Sunday league 'ale house' centre half than an an international footballer so far. Looks unfit. 

He (and his teammates to be fair) has been poor. The big lad upfront for Lincoln completely bossing it.

Sadly, still reckon Berra is our best centre half...

11 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

He (and his teammates to be fair) has been poor. The big lad upfront for Lincoln completely bossing it.

Sadly, still reckon Berra is our best centre half...

Best centre half, would have agreed up until watching this, partly why I posted in first place. Non league Lincoln City FFS. How has it got this bad?

Christoph just got a dunt in the pus there.

10 hours ago, aaid said:

I didn't realise that the civil trial had taken place.   The judge has just ruled that Goodwillie raped the girl and have awarded £100k in compensation.  

I suspect that is the end of Mr Goodwillie's football career.  I know there was a debate here at the time about whether Levein should have picked him, at the time I thought no and I'm glad he didn't.

On 1/16/2017 at 5:07 PM, andyD said:

Even Naismith? Naismith is ahead of half that list.

29 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

“I don’t see why he couldn’t play at the top level in England, of course he could. If he continues the way he’s going for Rangers, it’s possible.”

Anything is possible, christ even Conor Sammon played in a top league. 

At 22 i've little from McKay to prove that he could cut it at a higher level other than sign for relegation fodder like Burnley.