Scotland Players In Action 2016/17 - Page 39 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

ErsatzThistle

9 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

“I don’t see why he couldn’t play at the top level in England, of course he could. If he continues the way he’s going for Rangers, it’s possible.”

Anything is possible, christ even Conor Sammon played in a top league. 

At 22 i've little from McKay to prove that he could cut it at a higher level other than sign for relegation fodder like Burnley.

I respectfully disagree, although i concede on Tony Watt who is undoubtedly an irredeemable waster, albeit, a talented one.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Even Naismith? Naismith is ahead of half that list.

Burke, Snodgrass, Philips, Fraser and Boyd are certainly ahead of him. Playing better, more often and at higher levels.

Ritchie and Murphy are starters for the top two clubs in Naismith's league.

Anya is better than Naismith from a tactical point of view. He offers better defensive cover, as well as being a more useful counter attacking threat. If you're looking for versatility off the bench then Anya is the obvious choice over Naismith.

Which leaves James Forrest.. who divides opinion, but has been in good form this season.

The reality for Naismith now is that he's a squad player for a mid-table championship club. Since the 16th of August he's only played 90 minutes in the league 3 times. Played 17, missed 9 and averages under an hour on the pitch when he does play. I'm struggling to see how Naismith is ahead of half the players mentioned.

34 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Hanley back in team tonight alongside another Scot Stuart Findlay. Must be long time since Newcastle or any English team for that matter fielded an all Scottish Centre half pairing? Caldwells?

Blackburn did a few weeks back . Had Mulgrew and Greer as centre halves

On 17/01/2017 at 9:36 PM, Hertsscot said:

I suspect that is the end of Mr Goodwillie's football career.  I know there was a debate here at the time about whether Levein should have picked him, at the time I thought no and I'm glad he didn't.

Levein did pick him. He scored vs Spain in Alicante. 

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Another couple of goals for Matt Ritchie. Funny how no one on here rates him despite the fact he starts nearly every game for every team he has ever played for and is only 27.

Poor for Scotland might be the managers fault, in fact if you think about it could be the same for a lot of players

He's a bit slow and gives the ball away a bit too much.  However, he can create and score goals. 

He does also play in a position we have plenty of good options for. 

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Another couple of goals for Matt Ritchie. Funny how no one on here rates him despite the fact he starts nearly every game for every team he has ever played for and is only 27.

Poor for Scotland might be the managers fault, in fact if you think about it could be the same for a lot of players

couldnt agree more, frustrating :banghead:

hes a cracking player but not in a scotland shirt unfortunately

i also think "no one on here rates him" has a racial element attached to it

Think Ritchie is a good player and certainly offers us something good in the team (he is one of the few players in the squad capable of getting a goal out of nothing) only thing is I do not think he is suited to Strachans style of play, as he does not have the pace to play wide and link up with the forward player we will use (while I think Ritchie is the much better player, Anya is the more suited to Strachans style of play).

21 hours ago, andyD said:

Burke, Snodgrass, Philips, Fraser and Boyd are certainly ahead of him. Playing better, more often and at higher levels.

Ritchie and Murphy are starters for the top two clubs in Naismith's league.

Anya is better than Naismith from a tactical point of view. He offers better defensive cover, as well as being a more useful counter attacking threat. If you're looking for versatility off the bench then Anya is the obvious choice over Naismith.

Which leaves James Forrest.. who divides opinion, but has been in good form this season.

The reality for Naismith now is that he's a squad player for a mid-table championship club. Since the 16th of August he's only played 90 minutes in the league 3 times. Played 17, missed 9 and averages under an hour on the pitch when he does play. I'm struggling to see how Naismith is ahead of half the players mentioned.

I must have forgotten all the squads Philps, Fraser and Murphy have been in of late.

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I must have forgotten all the squads Philps, Fraser and Murphy have been in of late.

Philips sand Fraser have come into great form since the last match, so that's hardly surprising is it?

For a view on Nasmiths place in our current competitive set up, the following have all played in his positions since he last took to the pitch:

Snodgrass, Forrest, Morrison, Ritchie, McArthur, Anya, Burke, Fletcher, Martin, Griffiths.

So that's already 10 players ahead of him for 4 positions by your reckoning, and that's only because he got 15 minutes at the end of the Gibraltar game. If you want to go back for his last start, then you can add Maloney and Russell.

So that's 12 players. It'd be hard to argue that Naismith is more deserving of a call up than Philips or Fraser. Philips has had an incredibly productive season, his numbers are better then De Bruyne for example, so if he's not in the squad then that seems like a significant mistake on Strachan's part. Fraser is still breaking thru at Bournemouth, hasn't played 90 minutes yet (for tactical reasons as much as anything), but in the opportunities he's had he's scored or assisted every 80 minutes, as well as winning 3 penalties (as much as anyone else in the league). To put that in context, Ibrahimovic scores/assists every 106 minutes. Diego Costa.. 88 minutes. Alexis Sanchez.. 81 minutes. Naismith (in the league below).. 335 minutes. Obviously I'm not saying he's better than those players, but his numbers at this point are very hard to ignore.

Murphy.. well I'll give you Murphy. Naismith's probably ahead of him, but not on form, just because he's been part of previous squads and is a known quantity. Hard to be enthused by known quantities that have repeatedly not been good enough tho.

8 hours ago, andyD said:

Philips sand Fraser have come into great form since the last match, so that's hardly surprising is it?

For a view on Nasmiths place in our current competitive set up, the following have all played in his positions since he last took to the pitch:

Snodgrass, Forrest, Morrison, Ritchie, McArthur, Anya, Burke, Fletcher, Martin, Griffiths.

So that's already 10 players ahead of him for 4 positions by your reckoning, and that's only because he got 15 minutes at the end of the Gibraltar game. If you want to go back for his last start, then you can add Maloney and Russell.

So that's 12 players. It'd be hard to argue that Naismith is more deserving of a call up than Philips or Fraser. Philips has had an incredibly productive season, his numbers are better then De Bruyne for example, so if he's not in the squad then that seems like a significant mistake on Strachan's part. Fraser is still breaking thru at Bournemouth, hasn't played 90 minutes yet (for tactical reasons as much as anything), but in the opportunities he's had he's scored or assisted every 80 minutes, as well as winning 3 penalties (as much as anyone else in the league). To put that in context, Ibrahimovic scores/assists every 106 minutes. Diego Costa.. 88 minutes. Alexis Sanchez.. 81 minutes. Naismith (in the league below).. 335 minutes. Obviously I'm not saying he's better than those players, but his numbers at this point are very hard to ignore.

Murphy.. well I'll give you Murphy. Naismith's probably ahead of him, but not on form, just because he's been part of previous squads and is a known quantity. Hard to be enthused by known quantities that have repeatedly not been good enough tho.

Naismith has been starting for Norwich recently in the championship

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/rangers-star-barrie-mckay-6m-9656224

I'd like to point out that I don't currently work for the Daily Record.

Young Scottish player with only 18 months left on his contract. Who also is hmmm reasonably average. £7m seems unlikely anyway, if they're even interested at all.

With all that being said, I hope it's true.

4 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Young Scottish player with only 18 months left on his contract. Who also is hmmm reasonably average. £7m seems unlikely anyway, if they're even interested at all.

With all that being said, I hope it's true.

the story doesn't have any concrete facts, although it is fact that McKay destroyed their full back on several occasions, a sight they probably aren't used to.

8 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

the story doesn't have any concrete facts, although it is fact that McKay destroyed their full back on several occasions, a sight they probably aren't used to.

Like I say I hope it is true.

If Harper can get a game for Malaga eventually then we could have Gauld, Harper, Burke and McKay playing in good leagues abroad.

16 hours ago, Bino's said:

Naismith has been starting for Norwich recently in the championship

He's started the last 2. but was a 92nd minute sub in the one before that. They're his first 90 minutes since November.

The general view of norwich fans seem to be they want rid of him. "overpaid journeyman" is a common phrase used. It's also been suggested that Naisy turned down a move to sunderland (where he'd surely play every week) due to it meaning a slight drop in wages. Make me think Naismith has maybe just given up a bit. Seems his Norwich contract is a fat one and he'll be 33 (i think) by the time it ends. Can see him just milking Norwich and hanging up his boots when the contract is done.

McKay went through a difficult spell near the start of the season but Warburton showed good management (all young players need to be managed well) to give him a short spell out of the team and its reaping the rewards.

He has been excellent from December onwards and I really enjoy watching him, he's such a positive player and is brave on the ball.

He's got a terrific habit of showing up well in big matches which could bode well for international level.

arguably his 2 best games for Rangers were against experienced international players at Celtic.

4 hours ago, andyD said:

He's started the last 2. but was a 92nd minute sub in the one before that. They're his first 90 minutes since November.

The general view of norwich fans seem to be they want rid of him. "overpaid journeyman" is a common phrase used. It's also been suggested that Naisy turned down a move to sunderland (where he'd surely play every week) due to it meaning a slight drop in wages. Make me think Naismith has maybe just given up a bit. Seems his Norwich contract is a fat one and he'll be 33 (i think) by the time it ends. Can see him just milking Norwich and hanging up his boots when the contract is done.

as of now the only strikers we have at all who have been starting recently at a decent level are Naismith McCormack and Griffiths

and none have been 1st picks all season or even half of it

we might be better going for a false 9, ie Snodgrass

but that would need to actually play football rather than battering it forward like in the last home game

possibly Snodgrass false 9 with Burke Morrison Philips behind

we have any number of attacking midfielders to try there and get a blend in a friendly