Scotland Players In Action 2016/17 - Page 57 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

ErsatzThistle

23 hours ago, scottishedgar said:

The clean sheet stat means he must be brilliant though.........

Admittedly I've not seen the guy play but you can hardly say he's been great because he's had 3 clean sheets! 

You can make 20 mistakes in a game and not be punished by a goal, or play a great game and either a fantastic goal or another individuals mistake can cost you the clean sheet. I certainly wouldn't be judging the guy on the fact that he's been part of a team that has kept 3 clean sheets.

Hopefully he develops into a Scotland stalwart in the future anyway!

Nobody has said he's been great. All that was said is that it's good to see a young Scottish defender getting a chance and keeping clean sheets in all of his first three games is promising.

Since then it has been declared that Ajer is 10 times the player he is and return of yermaw has decided that Callum McGregor plays in the championship in England :lol:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 18/04/2017 at 4:11 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

Cairney undoubtedly deserves more opportunities to show what he can do. Should have already been in our team two or three years ago.

Want to see him and Armstrong in the same starting XI and see what happens.

I'd call up Ryan Fraser, John McGinn, Jamie Walker, Barrie McKay, Chris Cadden, Sam Nicholson and Ryan Christie before even considering McGregor. A poor player.

This shown to be laughable today. McGregor was superb. Great goal, incisive passing and i can't remember him ever losing possession.

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

This shown to be laughable today. McGregor was superb. Great goal, incisive passing and i can't remember him ever losing possession.

37 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Beat me to it.

McGregor isn't a world beater but Chris Cadden :lol:

Wow scoring a goal against the cross city rivals who have their worst team since the early eighties makes him pure dead amazing. Right..........

Pass.

I'd rather focus on Cairney, Fraser, McGinn, Walker, Cadden and co 

14 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Wow scoring a goal against the cross city rivals who have their worst team since the early eighties makes him pure dead amazing. Right..........

Pass.

Just because the other players you mention are good it doesn't make Mcgregor poor. 

11 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Just because the other players you mention are good it doesn't make Mcgregor poor. 

If that gets ye by then great. I don't rate him at all and there are a bunch of other players I'd rather see selected before McGregor.

34 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Pass.

I don't think he is amazing but your criticism was overly harsh. 

Fraser and Walker aren't ever similar players. 

5 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If that gets ye by then great. I don't rate him at all and there are a bunch of other players I'd rather see selected before McGregor.

Problem is you write players off completely based on your own opinion. His manager, team mates and club supporters think he is an ok player that might get better, pretty much the same as the players you are putting ahead of him. Apart from Cairney none of them have appeared to be anything special over a decent period of time

Thing I notice about McGregor is that he has good anticipation and doesn't lose the ball, both essential attributes for international football and a big part of our problem in recent times. I'm not convinced all the others listed are as good in this respect, though they do have other attributes. And let's face it, Rogers wouldn't comment on his professional attitude or pick him if he was in any way poor.

Edited by the_fadiator

On 21/01/2017 at 8:43 AM, Return of Yermaw said:

if that is what you take away from that clip then it says more about your myopic views and shows up your lack of credibility. 

On 21/01/2017 at 9:02 AM, ProudScot said:

That's not a particularly good highlight reel admittedly.

To be fair, McKay is a better player than James Forrest, not a dig really but you do tout Forrest repeatedly for Scotland when he is cut from the same cloth as Barry Bannan in that he persistently plays badly for Scotland and barely deserves a call up due to previous performances. 

On 21/01/2017 at 1:15 PM, kumnio said:

While McKay looks average, but with a few decent touches every so often, he still looks better than Forrest. Youre man love for him is admirable.

Fun times :ok: 

I'm not a huge fan of Forrest and I think he needs to do more, but the criticism's been going a bit too far. Rodgers would've booted him out of Celtic when he had the chance at the start of the season if he was as bad as some make out. That's three managers that have played him for Celtic. They have the budget and don't need to play poor, ineffective players. Against him, there's a good argument for offering more goals and assists for playing in such a dominant side. He's not set the heather alight for Scotland, but I thought he was very good against Poland at Hampden and his pace offers a good option out wide when we're pegged back.

19 hours ago, the_fadiator said:

I'm not a huge fan of Forrest and I think he needs to do more, but the criticism's been going a bit too far. Rodgers would've booted him out of Celtic when he had the chance at the start of the season if he was as bad as some make out. That's three managers that have played him for Celtic. They have the budget and don't need to play poor, ineffective players. Against him, there's a good argument for offering more goals and assists for playing in such a dominant side. He's not set the heather alight for Scotland, but I thought he was very good against Poland at Hampden and his pace offers a good option out wide when we're pegged back.

Hi pace offers bugger all if he can't hold on to the ball or cross it. Forrest has had one or two decent games for Scotland but that's it.

hes not good enough but Strachan loves him so he will continue to get picked.

On 27/04/2017 at 8:17 AM, vanderark14 said:

Hi pace offers bugger all if he can't hold on to the ball or cross it. Forrest has had one or two decent games for Scotland but that's it.

hes not good enough but Strachan loves him so he will continue to get picked.

He was poor last season, but based on his form this season it'd be hard to argue he shouldn't at least be in the squad. He has the advantage of playing for the dominant side, but he has more assists in the SPL than any other Scottish player. Personally I'd play Fraser on the left and Snodgrass on the right of the three, with the option of Forrest coming on later in the game.