Scotland Players In Action 2016/17 - Page 62 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

ErsatzThistle

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

You judging him on one game.

I'm not, I'm judging him on numerous reports and views from fans of United who have watched him for years.

Many of them think that the likes of Cleverley and Lingard were miles ahead of him at the same age and that he has a lot of catching up to do to get to their level, and even then those players mentioned aren't really considered good enough (I know Lingard has established himself to an extent this year). McTominay also plays in a position that United are well stocked in, and by the sounds of things they are looking to sign even more midfielders this summer.

It's really tough for young players to break into the first team of clubs chasing the top fo the league in England and even tougher when the manager doesn't have a history of developing young players.

I hope for our sake he can really kick on and impose himself, but my opinion is that it will be extremely unlikely.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Lion Rampant said:

I'm not, I'm judging him on numerous reports and views from fans of United who have watched him for years.

Many of them think that the likes of Cleverley and Lingard were miles ahead of him at the same age and that he has a lot of catching up to do to get to their level, and even then those players mentioned aren't really considered good enough (I know Lingard has established himself to an extent this year). McTominay also plays in a position that United are well stocked in, and by the sounds of things they are looking to sign even more midfielders this summer.

It's really tough for young players to break into the first team of clubs chasing the top fo the league in England and even tougher when the manager doesn't have a history of developing young players.

I hope for our sake he can really kick on and impose himself, but my opinion is that it will be extremely unlikely.

How many Celtic fans were raving about Tierney two seasons ago? Do you think the dummys on Man Utd forums can judge a player? I don't think Mourinho played McTominay to be nice. Your logic is a bit like Tartan Tam, I mean, Caledonian Craig's regarding Burke and Leipzig.

52 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

How many Celtic fans were raving about Tierney two seasons ago? Do you think the dummys on Man Utd forums can judge a player? I don't think Mourinho played McTominay to be nice. Your logic is a bit like Tartan Tam, I mean, Caledonian Craig's regarding Burke and Leipzig.

He played him because he's resting his entire first team before a European Final that will determine whether he's had a successful season or not. When the season gets going again do you really think Mourinho is going to be playing players like him? Really?

He didn't give any youth players game time in the league cup in the early rounds when they were away to the likes of Northampton so I can't see it changing next season when the pressure ramps up again. United have a massive squad, for the likes of McTominay to break into that is incredibly difficult, I don't see what is so wrong with pointing that out. I'm not saying he's a bad player, or that he's not got the ability or potential to make it as a professional, I just think the odds are massively against him making it at United. As i noted before, he is under a manager that isn't well known for playing youngsters. The only young player to get real game time this season was Rashford and he was already established and even then only became a starter after Ibrahimovic got injured.

The pressure will be massive on Mourinho next season to challenge for the league title, I just can't see him giving much game time to any young players. Tuanzebe for example, is incredibly highly rated by the coaches at OT but he didn't even get a sniff of first team action when the early rounds of the cup were taking place. He didn't even get off the bench against Swansea when United lost Bailly to injury and instead he put on Darmian to play centre back.

He also went through a spell when he didn't have a left back but the lad Mitchell, that finally got some game time on Sunday, was never even on the bench, he preferred to play Ashley Young at left back. If you think that his attitude to playing young players is going to change any time soon, I think you'll be disappointed.

I've got no idea what the reference to Burke and Leipzig is. There is a massive difference there in that Leipzig paid big(ish) money for him and will give him every opportunity to succeed.

I genuninely hope that McTominay does succeed, I just think the odds are stacked massively against him.

1 hour ago, Lion Rampant said:

He played him because he's resting his entire first team before a European Final that will determine whether he's had a successful season or not. When the season gets going again do you really think Mourinho is going to be playing players like him? Really?

He didn't give any youth players game time in the league cup in the early rounds when they were away to the likes of Northampton so I can't see it changing next season when the pressure ramps up again. United have a massive squad, for the likes of McTominay to break into that is incredibly difficult, I don't see what is so wrong with pointing that out. I'm not saying he's a bad player, or that he's not got the ability or potential to make it as a professional, I just think the odds are massively against him making it at United. As i noted before, he is under a manager that isn't well known for playing youngsters. The only young player to get real game time this season was Rashford and he was already established and even then only became a starter after Ibrahimovic got injured.

The pressure will be massive on Mourinho next season to challenge for the league title, I just can't see him giving much game time to any young players. Tuanzebe for example, is incredibly highly rated by the coaches at OT but he didn't even get a sniff of first team action when the early rounds of the cup were taking place. He didn't even get off the bench against Swansea when United lost Bailly to injury and instead he put on Darmian to play centre back.

He also went through a spell when he didn't have a left back but the lad Mitchell, that finally got some game time on Sunday, was never even on the bench, he preferred to play Ashley Young at left back. If you think that his attitude to playing young players is going to change any time soon, I think you'll be disappointed.

I've got no idea what the reference to Burke and Leipzig is. There is a massive difference there in that Leipzig paid big(ish) money for him and will give him every opportunity to succeed.

I genuninely hope that McTominay does succeed, I just think the odds are stacked massively against him.

Aye, ok fair enough. He's been a sub for several weeks though, so it's not all about the final.

6 minutes ago, thesaint said:

My heart sank as soon as I saw him go down.We will need every single advantage we can get against England.Tierney and Robertson bombing up the wing would have been crucial.Absolute shit bad luck.Terrible news for us.

Ditto. Hope it turns out to not be that bad and he's ok for the game.

Guest MorayCupMan
10 hours ago, thesaint said:

My heart sank as soon as I saw him go down.We will need every single advantage we can get against England.Tierney and Robertson bombing up the wing would have been crucial.Absolute shit bad luck.Terrible news for us.

Ditto...The thought of losing him for the England game just fills me with dread.

9 hours ago, Ormond said:

Stockley's a fvcking thug. Clear red.

He is all elbows that Stockley,every time I have seen him play ,sorry i will rephrase that, when he is on the field of play...a total sh##e excuse of a footballer.....I will be raging if Tierney is out for the England cause of that Pr##k

11 hours ago, Ormond said:

Stockley's a fvcking thug. Clear red.

This.

Gutted Tierney is out for the England game. As has been said, we need our best players playing their best.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

On 5/22/2017 at 4:03 PM, er yir macaroon said:

I pity our future if we are trying to make Burke's season into something it isn't. Sorry if I don't have my tongue up our players asses but I say things like they are. His form has been disappointing and I am sure even he wouldn't disagree with that.

27 minutes ago, Ormond said:

That was intentional in my view. Red card all day.

Nah. I disagree. If you're going to elbow someone, you wouldn't do it with that arm shape IMO. 

45 minutes ago, Ormond said:

That was intentional in my view. Red card all day.

What planet are you on? I'm disappointed to lose Tierney but there's no need to resort to making shit up. I'm far from stockleys biggest fan because he's not very good but I do believe a few of his bookings have been unwarranted. Yesterday's incident wasn't even a yellow card, it was an accident.