edinburgh festival - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, Stapes said:

My son demanded I take him to see Burnistoun. Got the last two tickets for the review show last night. It was pretty funny to be honest. Not off the scale funny, but worth the £7 a ticket.

I was at the 6 o'clock show and enjoyed it not hysterically funny but well worth the tickets money.

5 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

I was at the 6 o'clock show and enjoyed it not hysterically funny but well worth the tickets money.

Would definitely recommend it. It's sold out, but I think some tix are made available at the door an hour before the show.

I can highly recommend John Otway!!

He's playing each Monday (8th/15th/22nd) at the Voodoo Rooms venue.

For those who have seen John, you will know how original and manic he is.  For those who haven't,  try watching him on YouTube.  His shows are always entertainment at its ultimate.  From punk rock to folk to a bit of heavy metal...with acrobatics thrown in and guitar playing at its least accomplished!

He HAS also written some genuinely lovely songs such as Geneva and Best Dream.

Been following John for over thirty years.

Simply unique.

Just back from my annual long weekend through at the Fringe and apart from a couple of torrential downpours and one pretty disappointing show we had another really good weekend.

Burnistoun - I really enjoyed this and thought some of the new sketches (with some old characters) worked really well.  The 2 politicians at the end (Well Now...) had me in bits

Shit Faced ShowTime - A performance of Pirates of Penzance where a different cast member is drunk each night.  I found just about everyone in this annoying pretty much from the start.  The drunk guy was mildly amusing at times but was clearly overacting his drunkenness and the actual performance from the rest of them was pish

Susan Calman - I've seen her a few times compering at The Stand and you know what you're going to get.  Not ground breakingly funny but amusing enough and OK to listen to for an hour

Chris Forbes - We picked this one at random as it fitted in with our times.  Didn't realise he was Scottish and actually from Partick where I've lived for about 10 years! Tiny wee room but he was actually pretty funny with his show about asking people to describe him in one word.  As good as he was the best bit was the couple he asked to describe each other in one word.  "Fanny" and "Slut" were their answers!!

Abandoman - An Irish, improv Hip Hop comedy act.  One of the best things I've seen in 10+ years going through to the Fringe.  My description doesn't do them justice.  really funny and really clever.

Scott Gibson - Seen him do a small 10 minute set at a charity gig earlier in the year and thought we'd give him a spin.  A bit like Calman he was interesting to listen to without being overly funny.

Colin Cloud - A Scottish version of Derren Brown.  A really good show with a good few moments where you're thinking "how the f*** did he do/know that".  The finale in particular was very impressive but I won't say too much in case anyone is thinking of going!

On 09/08/2016 at 2:59 PM, Fairbairn said:

Chris Forbes - We picked this one at random as it fitted in with our times.  Didn't realise he was Scottish and actually from Partick where I've lived for about 10 years! Tiny wee room but he was actually pretty funny with his show about asking people to describe him in one word.  As good as he was the best bit was the couple he asked to describe each other in one word.  "Fanny" and "Slut" were their answers!!

Ok, booked for tomorrow night. Better be gid :P

Camille O'Sullivan. Fabulously sexy and powerful cabaret singer (although that doesn't do her justice). Reduces people to tears and rocks out as well. And her three song Bowie tribute was better than anything at the Bowie prom. 

14 hours ago, biffer said:

Camille O'Sullivan. Fabulously sexy and powerful cabaret singer (although that doesn't do her justice). Reduces people to tears and rocks out as well. And her three song Bowie tribute was better than anything at the Bowie prom. 

My friend was in bits by the end of 'Look Mummy, no hands!' I've seen her umpteen times, wasn't one of my favourite of her shows, but still excellent. A few sound issues at the start with her mike too loud, and then a lot of distracting noise from the marquee (it was blowing a gale) on the quiet songs. Disappointed that  she didn't do 'Ships' too, but she can obviously change the set list from time to time. Great show overall though, with bits of Prince and Floyd mixed in with the Bowie stuff.

18 hours ago, Pool Q said:

My friend was in bits by the end of 'Look Mummy, no hands!' I've seen her umpteen times, wasn't one of my favourite of her shows, but still excellent. A few sound issues at the start with her mike too loud, and then a lot of distracting noise from the marquee (it was blowing a gale) on the quiet songs. Disappointed that  she didn't do 'Ships' too, but she can obviously change the set list from time to time. Great show overall though, with bits of Prince and Floyd mixed in with the Bowie stuff.

Yeah,  a couple of the girls I was with were in pieces at that point as well. As long as there's some Brel in there I'm happy! 

42 minutes ago, biffer said:

Yeah,  a couple of the girls I was with were in pieces at that point as well. As long as there's some Brel in there I'm happy! 

The night we were there a sort of informal Q&A just seemed to happen at the end, and a (I think) Japanese guy said something along the lines of "Too much microphone, we want to hear your voice". In response she put aside the mike, stood in front of the stage, and did an unaccompanied version of Ne me quitte pas. It was genuinely beautiful.

5 hours ago, Pool Q said:

The night we were there a sort of informal Q&A just seemed to happen at the end, and a (I think) Japanese guy said something along the lines of "Too much microphone, we want to hear your voice". In response she put aside the mike, stood in front of the stage, and did an unaccompanied version of Ne me quitte pas. It was genuinely beautiful.

I can believe that. She's always great value, every time I've seen her she's done ninety minutes and over run.