What football do you watch regularly? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What football do you watch regularly?

Outwith your own club I mean. I know it's a debate that pops up on here regularly so would be interested to hear what games we are all taking in.  Might also give me a few ideas as this new box I have seems to have access to every sports channel known to man. 

Must admit I used to be a bit of a Sky Sports/EPL whore, watching live matches every week and then Motd on a Saturday night, but lost interest a few years back. The so called 'big' games bore me to tears now. Its like everyone is terrified of making a mistake. Last season, save the odd occasion, I just watched the goals on a Monday that had been recorded.  I think Mourihno and Guardiola going down there will Spike my interest a bit, be good to see Man Utd back competing i suppose, always liked watching them in my youth. 

Same with the Champions League, I think the first game I watched last season was Chelsea - PSG which was the quarter final I think? I'll probably watch the Tims games if they get there this term.

Odd occasion I'll watch a Derby game from Spain or the English Championship.

Last season the most footballI i watched, outwith Rangers was the Scottish Prem and Chamionship. The first 3 Dundee derby's probably stand out for entertainment value, as do A couple of Aberdeen - Hearts games and the Edinburgh derby's (particularly the one at Tynecastle) 

Must admit I'm looking forward to both leagues again this season, should be some crackers. 

Edited by Angus_Young

Before I moved south I would go watch Fraserburgh in the highland league or a welfare match down at the local park. Outwith the Dons and Scotland that was about it.

i watched a bit of Leicester last season but other than that I don't bother with the EPL at all. I haven't watched a full 90 minutes of CL football since Liverpool won it.

im now down in Hampshire and there is a local side who play in the 9th tier of English football. There's also aldershot and Woking near by who play in what used to be the conference league. I'll probably take in a few of those games this season.

Angus I was the same as you. Outside of utd games, I used to watch EPL / champs league stuff in the pub with several mates. None of us really bother now - maybe watch one in the house if it looks interesting but most of it just bores me/ us now. Tend to still watch the Scottish games if I get the time , watching the saints Aberdeen game just now. 

40 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Before I moved south I would go watch Fraserburgh in the highland league or a welfare match down at the local park. Outwith the Dons and Scotland that was about it.

i watched a bit of Leicester last season but other than that I don't bother with the EPL at all. I haven't watched a full 90 minutes of CL football since Liverpool won it.

im now down in Hampshire and there is a local side who play in the 9th tier of English football. There's also aldershot and Woking near by who play in what used to be the conference league. I'll probably take in a few of those games this season.

Aye I quite enjoy the lower league stuff too. (should be used to it eh :) )  Sauchie Jnrs ground is a two minute walk from me so I get over to watch them a few times a season, although granted they werent great last term.

26 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Angus I was the same as you. Outside of utd games, I used to watch EPL / champs league stuff in the pub with several mates. None of us really bother now - maybe watch one in the house if it looks interesting but most of it just bores me/ us now. Tend to still watch the Scottish games if I get the time , watching the saints Aberdeen game just now. 

Aye, I'm the same. As said above I always liked Man Utd so I'll maybe watch one or two of their games this season, but that will be about it. 

I've only seen this from 60 minutes but its been decent. Good tempo and tackles flying in. Dunno how Stockley escaped a card a few minutes ago. Looks a very healthy traveling support. 

26 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Aye I quite enjoy the lower league stuff too. (should be used to it eh :) )  Sauchie Jnrs ground is a two minute walk from me so I get over to watch them a few times a season, although granted they werent great last term.

Aye, I'm the same. As said above I always liked Man Utd so I'll maybe watch one or two of their games this season, but that will be about it. 

I've only seen this from 60 minutes but its been decent. Good tempo and tackles flying in. Dunno how Stockley escaped a card a few minutes ago. Looks a very healthy traveling support. 

Aye utd v Liverpool is usually worth a watch for example. But regardless of the quality of players on display most of it leaves me cold.

Yep god Aberdeen support. Lively enough game but most of the crosses from both teams were appalling.

I very rarely watch games now. Haven't seen a cl game apart from the final since it went to bt,watched the Fa cup final and as much euros as I could,but my sky sports is for watching golf if I'm honest,the Rangers Hamilton game is the most I've watched of a match not involving my teams in a long time. 

Epl is overhyped and full of cheating prima donnas and I simply can't be arsed getting excited for a big game for it to be more about not losing than winning. 

So,in conclusion to that bizarre rant,I would say rest of the SPFL is what I'll watch mostly this season. 

Watch very little on TV now. Don't have Sky anymore, but (aside from the Scottish Cup final) even when games are on BT or the BBC I can't remember the last time I watched a game all the way through on TV. I start watching them but rarely get beyond 20 minutes before I'm bored. I agree that the hype doesn't help, you get all the build up and think you are going to see something special, and then when it actually starts it never is.

Only watch the Dons, the SPFL (or indeed any half decent televised Scottish games), Scottish teams in Europe, World Cups/Euros and Scotland if I have to!  Stumble across the odd EPL or CL game but really have no interest in it and genuinely find 90% of it extremely boring.

Would watch any Scottish game or team on the TV. Beyond that I sometimes watch a bit of la liga, though don't go out of my way to do so. 

I very rarely watch the champions league but have found myself watching the Europa League, which is far more enjoyable. Seeing a wider variety of teams and styles of play is enjoyable, opposed to the stake and repetitive CL. 

I keep up to speed with European football through reading, rather than watching. 

I rarely bother with the EPL

Watch mostly championship in England as I am a Leeds fan, watch occasional Scottish game depending on the game.  Hardly watch the premiership anymore as the majority of super sunday games etc are utter gash 0-0s or 1-0s.  Havent watched a champions league or Europa league game in a long while since bt got it, but not really interested in either competition. 

Have not watched a full game on telly for months, apart from the Ayr utd play offs. Spend time out and about watching non league local fitba! The Sydenhams Wessex league, Hampshire Prem, Wyvern league and the city of Southampton Sat and Sun leagues. It helps as i am an official on all those.

If there's a Scottish game on tele I'll do my best to watch it. If it's Scottish team in Europe I'll try my best to sift through all the links possible to watch it on whatever daft channel they are showing it, listen to Kazakhi commentary, pop ups at the side etc.

When I first got Sky have to admit used to watch all the English Premiership games as well and for a while it was a routine each weekend. Stopped really bothering as much I reckon about after City won with AGUEERRROO in the last seconds and all that. Over inflated salaries and egos are not worth bothering about. But..... Couldn't help be drawn towards watching Leicester this year but can't be the only one who that happened to

Much prefer going to live matches though as that's what I feel being a scottish football supporter is all about. Paying money to clubs and getting the full match day experience. Don't even think the prices are that bad if you think that clubs need to pay players, staff, stewards etc but then again I don't have to pay for a family to get in to a game. 

Never been to a junior match mind you though, ?

Edited by Geeman

On TV I watch most Scottish stuff if I can, and will watch some of the more interesting Champions league and Europa league games.

I like La Liga, and tend to watch the Sunday evening games. I've tried German and Italian football, but prefer Spanish.

A lot of it is down to timing, I'll watch any game if it's on at a time that suits me, used to watch more before the kids, but find I now actually watch games, as opposed to having them on (if that makes sense).

Watch most Scottish games and in terms of English football will watch Man Utd but nobody else really. The "big" games are always overhyped and turn out to be a disappointment.

Will watch some of the bigger games from the Champions League, but i'll pick and choose the games. Europa League can sometimes be better to watch.

Don't really watch much Spanish or German football although it can be better than the EPL.

Got 2 young kids so i'm more focused on spending time with them at the weekend than watching football if truth be told. Before they were here I'd watch wall to wall football at the weekend but now i'll watch one or two games and even then it probably won't got my full attention for the 90m.

I start of the season with good intentions of watching lots of football but that soon fades. I have MOTD on series record on my Sky box but usually find that one of my lads watches it and I end up deleting 3-4 weeks of stacked episodes every now and then without having watched them myself.

I definitely buck the trend here in that I will watch BPL most, especially if I am having a lazy Sunday and I probably watch a CL game every week its on. I do have a group of mates on WA who also watch it but I find sometimes I pay more attention to the chats going on than the football itself. Very rarely watch Europa League. I also very rarely watch Scottish football on the telly but do go to the odd local Junior game or Dunfermline game now and then. Although I have access to German/French games I very rarely watch them. I will see Bayern v Dortmund coming up for say the weekend ahead, think "I will watch that", never do. I watch a few Italian games. I used to watch a lot of La Liga but preferred it you had competitive games, most of the games now feature Barca or Real and end up pretty one sided. 

The football I enjoy watching most is two of my lads playing on Sunday mornings. 

Edit :Also meant to say that whatever game I have on the telly, I usually have my iPad in hand and I probably couldn't remember the last time I went 90 mins without looking away from football to it.

Edited by Dalgety Bay TA

Don't have Sky Sports or BT so hardly ever watch a tv game. If I'm in the pub and there is a game on I'll watch some but it's more glancing at the screen now and again. Don't have any interest in English football but will usually record MotD highlights and fast-forward past the 'experts'. Still force myself to watch Sportscene even though it is pretty amateurish but it's all we have. Can't be bothered with the CL games any more, at least till it gets to semi-final/final time when I might go to the pub to watch 

Apart from United and Scotland I take the kids to see EK at K-Park on a fairly regular basis.

On the telly, I watch Scottish games and usually have the English games on in the background until the wife complains that there's always football on.  Don't really watch the Champions League or Europa League once the Scottish teams are out.

live in oz but try to watch any scottish game i can stream. Couldn't beat getting pished on a sunday night watching rangers getting beat off alloa or similiar.

This year I had another scottish cup semi-final party (united v hibs) at my house that descended into an 80's youtube karaokefest and some of us carried on into the next day with disastrous consequences.

We also try to have a scottish cup final party every year.

Also try to watch SV Darmstadt games.

I've watched about 5 english games in 15 years, i have no interest in them and i cbf watching scotland again after the georgia game there.

I watch a bit of Scottish/ English at the start of the season, but lose interest after a couple of months as it becomes pretty formulaic (at which point I start betting!) Leicester and to a lesser extent Aberdeen made it more interesting last year.

I'll then pick up towards the end of the season if it looks competitive. Group stages of the champions league are just so boring. UEFA may as well just pick the usual suspects to go through at the end of it. If they wanted to almost guarantee their members progress, they could maybe have a 2-legged play off of 1st v 4th seeds and 3rd v 2nd. I might then tune in and buy some Continental Tyres or Gazprom leccy.

Other than that, I enjoy the Bundesliga.

I appreciate that this board is full of fairly like minded individuals (with the obvious exceptions) when it comes to football.  But there does seem to be a sense that people are getting very fed up of the CL and even the EPL.  Has the CL reached saturation point, or is it possibly even on the decline? 

4 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

I appreciate that this board is full of fairly like minded individuals (with the obvious exceptions) when it comes to football.  But there does seem to be a sense that people are getting very fed up of the CL and even the EPL.  Has the CL reached saturation point, or is it possibly even on the decline? 

I think there is probably far too much on tv these days.

When Sky first started showing games, was it one or two per weekend, folk probably went out of their way to watch whatever was on.

Now, I don't think many would do that.

10 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

I think there is probably far too much on tv these days.

When Sky first started showing games, was it one or two per weekend, folk probably went out of their way to watch whatever was on.

Now, I don't think many would do that.

I certainly think that's a large part of it. And I agree, every CL game is now covered every week.  I do think in part though, the CL has lost its shine.  It's pretty much the same stuff towards the end every year. 

15 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

I certainly think that's a large part of it. And I agree, every CL game is now covered every week.  I do think in part though, the CL has lost its shine.  It's pretty much the same stuff towards the end every year. 

To me it just seems like a procession for the bigger teams through the group stages and round of 16.

There are very few shocks and it only really gets interesting until the QF stage where the gaps between the teams get less. I don't find the group stage particularly interesting to watch unless there is a pretty big tie, even then that only really serves to decide who's going to top the group and who's going to finish 2nd.

Even in the knockout stages the games can be boring because many teams put more emphasis on not losing rather than going to win the game.