Berlin City Tours - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Berlin City Tours

Fairbairn

So, as mentioned on a previous thread I'm off to Berlin with the boys next month.  We were planning on doing the City Segway Tour on the Saturday morning however we've just discovered that unlike other cities, you require a valid drivers license in Berlin to do a Segway which I don't have!  I've told the boys to do it without me but they're going all "Musketeers" on me however have stipulated that I need to find something else for us to do.  So that's where TAMB comes in!  Can anyone think of any kind of tour we could do that is a bit different from norm and would hold the attention of 6 slightly hungover guys for a couple of hours.  I know there are plenty of city tours out there but I'm looking for something a bit unusual or quirky if it exists?

I done a graffiti tour from The Michelberger Hotel that was interesting. Initially, it is about the graffiti scene and how Berlin became/has become a hub for artists etc and will take you all round the east and West. Given the distances that you cover it also takes in a lot of history of different areas, the turkish immigration etc and also how numerous multinationals are beginning the redevelopment of the spree and the gentrification it's bringing. Finishes at a section of the wall thats still standing.

Very interesting and takes you to places that you might not normally visit and when its finished you pay what you think is fair. Lasted a couple of hours and it is all on foot which might not be ideal for hungover folk, or on the other hand it could be ideal for a hangover. I think that is the link to it below.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187323-d1747921-r160181085-Alternative_Berlin_Tours-Berlin.html 

I emailed the Segway Tour company to ask if there was any way round this.  They emailed me back to basically say no, anyone riding a Segway in Germany must be in possession of a current, full drivers licence.  I asked if a paper copy of a licence would be accepted as opposed to just a photocard and she said yes!!  I may have found a way round this particular predicament......:ph34r:

54 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I emailed the Segway Tour company to ask if there was any way round this.  They emailed me back to basically say no, anyone riding a Segway in Germany must be in possession of a current, full drivers licence.  I asked if a paper copy of a licence would be accepted as opposed to just a photocard and she said yes!!  I may have found a way round this particular predicament......:ph34r:

Driving lessons?

18 minutes ago, deecie said:

Driving lessons?

Underway but won't have enough time between now and going!  I should have fecking well done it 20 years ago like most normal people but never had the need so never got round to it.

There used to be an English language walking tour that started at Zoo and wes very good. Informative interesting and took you from the old west into Mitte pointing out various landmarks along the way. 

You can also do a trabant tour where you drive round in the old east german cars. Don't know the cost of that but it might be pricey. DO NOT do the beer bike tour as you get breathalysed before you get on. No wind up

Edited by joecraigfanclub
typo

On 8/10/2016 at 2:13 PM, Fairbairn said:

you require a valid drivers license in Berlin to do a Segway which I don't have!  

9 hours ago, joecraigfanclub said:

You can also do a trabant tour where you drive round in the old east german cars. 

I appreciate the effort but that's no much help!! :D

Hmmmm, Segway tours?

I was really tempted by some of the walking tours I'd seen advertised for Berlin, but as they last about 3 hours or more, and I'd need to do it in the day or so before the marathon, didn't think it was smart.

A segway tour on the other hand might be a good idea.

6 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Hmmmm, Segway tours?

I was really tempted by some of the walking tours I'd seen advertised for Berlin, but as they last about 3 hours or more, and I'd need to do it in the day or so before the marathon, didn't think it was smart.

On the plus side Union v St. Pauli has been moved to the Monday, so beers.

Won't quite be Clach v Wick mind.

49 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Hmmmm, Segway tours?

I did one when we were in Chicago and it was excellent.

Try GetYourGuide, put in your dates, see what comes up and takes your fancy from and and what the reviews say (can usually find some really good yours at really good prices here).

If fancy something a bit more 1-to-1 and really deep into the history, then try Toursbylocals, but this will probably cost a lot more than what GetYourGuide will be.

Edited by wanderer

9 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I do fancy giving that a bash one day (not literally hopefully)

You can get 4 folk in a car to minimise the designated driver requirement...

http://www.trabi-safari.de/

Would not recommend 4 in one of those..... did a Tribant tour in Krakow years ago, and though only 2 of us did it on the day, only way I could fit in the car was in the back with my legs across the seat.

Edited by wanderer