Humour - East Coast vs. West Coast - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Humour - East Coast vs. West Coast

Here's a topic for debate............

A common gripe I've encountered from East Coasters (Aberdonians in particular) about West Coasters (particularly Glaswegians) is that the two have very different types of humour. 

West Coast humour is apparently coarse, crude, moronic and celebrates mediocrity. 

Is there really such a divide ? And can we have some contrasting examples as proof? 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived and worked in Glasgow when i was at uni there.

I worked for direct line 2 nights a week and a sunday. Mainly with Weegies ( i was a teutcher apparently) i got literally screamed at by several folk cause i was moving between the two tellies, one showing Celtic and one showing Rangers during the league decider. Seemingly I was expected to pick a side. Apart from one other person an entire floor had collapsed into two partisan baying mobs, including the person i sat next to, who had told me he wasn't interested in football but actually turned out to have a season ticket to Ibrox(wtf?) 

2 minutes ago, phart said:

I lived and worked in Glasgow when i was at uni there.

I worked for direct line 2 nights a week and a sunday. Mainly with Weegies ( i was a teutcher apparently) i got literally screamed at by several folk cause i was moving between the two tellies, one showing Celtic and one showing Rangers during the league decider. Seemingly I was expected to pick a side. Apart from one other person an entire floor had collapsed into two partisan baying mobs, including the person i sat next to, who had told me he wasn't interested in football but actually turned out to have a season ticket to Ibrox(wtf?) 

It's the old "Who do you really support?" or "Who's your big team?" nonsense. 

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

A common gripe I've encountered from East Coasters (Aberdonians in particular) about West Coasters (particularly Glaswegians) is that the two have very different types of humour. 

West Coast humour is apparently coarse, crude, moronic and celebrates mediocrity. 

Is there really such a divide ? And can we have some contrasting examples as proof? 

Coarse & crude humour is appreciated pretty much anywhere I find. 'Moronic' humour certainly isn't restricted to the west (Gary Tank Commander has got that covered for the east, and there are others) and I've really know idea what would be meant by Weegie humour celebrating mediocrity.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

So we've went from sense of humour to Rangers and Celtic!!

It's remarkable isn't it. The only people who think that we walk about day in day out avoiding each other and actually asking what school you went to or what team you support are teuchtars.

As for the actual debate, I couldn't contribute to it as I have chosen deliberately to avoid being in the presence of anyone of East Coast descent for any longer than 5 minutes. In fact, I go as far to say I hate them more than proddies.

5 minutes ago, Mox said:

It's remarkable isn't it. The only people who think that we walk about day in day out avoiding each other and actually asking what school you went to or what team you support are teuchtars.

As for the actual debate, I couldn't contribute to it as I have chosen deliberately to avoid being in the presence of anyone of East Coast descent for any longer than 5 minutes. In fact, I go as far to say I hate them more than proddies.

high praise indeed

12 minutes ago, Mox said:

??

I am a proddy so I am allowed to laugh. Thankfully I am  a West Coast Proddy with no interest in the old firm. 

Can anyone think of ANY  good east coast comedians???

13 minutes ago, Mox said:

I have chosen deliberately to avoid being in the presence of anyone of East Coast descent for any longer than 5 minutes. In fact, I go as far to say I hate them more than proddies.

Whit aboot Proddie East Coasters? 

14 minutes ago, Mox said:

Not really, i just wanted to watch the other TV, but that was being frowned upon As supposedly each side had "their own" TV's. 

Plus this story really riles up the west coasters when i say it on here. Which is in the spirit of the thread.

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Nah that is just your usual Aberdeen snobbery wrapped up as 'a sense of humour advantage'. A whanky wee neebzo town pumped full of oil money that now thinks its shit does not stink. The whole of Scotland cant fukking wait for that Aberdeen balloon to pop leaving those neebzo nouveau riche divots scratching their arses and wondering where it all went wrong. Their attitude to "Scumdee" says it all. That is exactly who you are minus the oil windfall. You have no friends now after this endless economic crowing. Everyone is waiting for Aberdeen's comeuppance. You sure as fukk better not slip.

2 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Nah that is just your usual Aberdeen snobbery wrapped up as 'a sense of humour advantage'. A whanky wee neebzo town pumped full of oil money that now thinks its shit does not stink. The whole of Scotland cant fukking wait for that Aberdeen balloon to pop leaving those neebzo nouveau riche divots scratching their arses and wondering where it all went wrong. Their attitude to "Scumdee" says it all. That is exactly who you are minus the oil windfall. You have no friends now after this endless economic crowing. Everyone is waiting for Aberdeen's comeuppance. You sure as fukk better not slip.

Awwwwww.

Here's some puppies for you.

puppies.jpeg

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

So we've went from sense of humour to Rangers and Celtic!!

I was jokingly supporting both teams by moving TV's. It's a story involving them not a discussion of them.

i think we need to put a trigger warning on some posts for our more sensitive members.

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

Anyone who says Aberdonians are humourless - I offer exhibit Deecie. Case closed.  2 minutes only and yet about as unfunny as you can find. It is genetic.

Good analysis if you overlook that neither me nor my family are from Aberdeen.

Uber-Puppies.jpg

I am not sure about Humour however Music has a much bigger divide....

name any good east coast bands.... The west coast Trumps them all..............  

East- Proclaimers, Big Country, The View Bay City Rollers......

West- Simple Minds, Belle and Sebastian, Chvrches, Biffi, Del Amitri, Fratellis, Gerry Rafferty,  

Challenge on....    

Not really sure you can badge the humour as one thing or the other. It's just stuff that makes you laugh. I am east coast but found billy Connelly superb at his best and other west coast comedians very funny. Having said that you do get the odd weegie at work say who thinks he's the next Connelly, and continuously tries to get a laugh with his west coast humour. Quite painful. East coasters in general aren't like that.