Humour - East Coast vs. West Coast - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Humour - East Coast vs. West Coast

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

This is kind of what I'm interested in.

What is it about this weegie's attempts to raise a laugh that fall flat ? Is it the patter or the personality that are off putting ? Or both ?

To be fair the boy is at times quite funny, but it's the continuous effort to be so, that grates.

5 hours ago, phart said:

Very True while east coast has the academics Maxwell, Napier, Wattson-Watt etc.

Debateable  we have James Watt, Lord Kelvin, Alexander Fleming, Logie Baird, etc

4 hours ago, andymac said:

Thank you Mrs G.

Mostly when we (PB and I) have been speaking one or both of us has/have been incapable of doing anything more than grunting and dribbling. 

I can testify to that but have to admit the spitting and spluttering was mildly disconcerting. 

:yikes3: ;)

4 hours ago, Ormond said:

First time I've ever heard someone from Edinburgh with a Weegie accent then. 

I repeat, he's multilingual. He tends to adopt the accent of the person he's talking to, which is embarrassing rather than racist when he orders a Chinese meal.,

55 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I'm a west coast non weggie who's made people laugh all over the world . . .

Ah but we all love a weggie. :wub:

:blink:

1 minute ago, G-Man said:

I repeat, he's multilingual. He tends to adopt the accent of the person he's talking to, which is embarrassing rather than racist when he orders a Chinese meal.

I'm born and bred a Perthite, hen. I've never sounded close to Weegie in my puff.

11 hours ago, phart said:

he's east coast.

East coasters are funnier but wouldn't presume to go on TV and make a big deal about being funny.

lol i forgot about that. :)

Its not a TV its a Magic Box ( as per wanky phrases)  . And its magic cos weegies are on it. Pure magic infact. 

On 10/08/2016 at 6:53 PM, stocky said:

I am not sure about Humour however Music has a much bigger divide....

name any good east coast bands.... The west coast Trumps them all..............  

East- Proclaimers, Big Country, The View Bay City Rollers......

West- Simple Minds, Belle and Sebastian, Chvrches, Biffi, Del Amitri, Fratellis, Gerry Rafferty,  

Challenge on....    

You forgot about the skidswho are from Dunfermline or Ricky Ross who is from dundee

On the humour question, coming from Ayrshire but having lived for a a couple of years and Dunfermline for a couple I would say the humour doesn't differ much no matter what coast you are on. Maybe it's more down to the people you are talking to in Dunfermline for example we were all working in a factory so we were all kind of the same and so humour was roughly the same. Even going to my local for quiz night we had a great laugh with the locals

Where there is a definite bias is in comedy on TV.   You could come up with a Scottish Curb your Enthusiasm set in Dundee and it wouldn't be commissioned by the Comedy Unit at BBC unless it was changed to be in Glasgow.  Even supposed "regional" shows are packed with Weegie actors like the ubiquitous Jonathon Watson.

Edited by aaid

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

Where there is a definite bias is in comedy on TV.   You could come up with a Scottish Curb your Enthusiasm set in Dundee and it wouldn't be commissioned by the Comedy Unit at BBC unless it was changed to be in Glasgow.  Even supposed "regional" shows are packed with Weegie actors like the ubiquitous Jonathon Watson.

I've always though "it's always sunny in Dundee" would make a cracking TV show, but the lack of moronic Glaswegian "banter" means it'll never be made.

A couple of the new TV comedies have been dire.  That Bob Servant was murder and Only an Excuse hasn't been funny since 2001.

Especially only an excuse, it's like Watson's doesn't even want to try any more.  So much content to work with over the last few years and failed to deliver.

7 hours ago, aaid said:

Wasn't Bob Servant that attempt?

2 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

A couple of the new TV comedies have been dire.  That Bob Servant was murder and Only an Excuse hasn't been funny since 2001.

Especially only an excuse, it's like Watson's doesn't even want to try any more.  So much content to work with over the last few years and failed to deliver.

Bob servant is gentle and quite clever. depends what you class as comedy - it is not laugh out loud funny but wry. anything with Brian Cox is pretty good. Strange why you then class OAE as a new TV comedy the refer to its funny days as from 2001. I wouldn't cite TV as the barometer of what is funny - popular or approved UK TV programmes are mainly consumed by idiots (bar Bob Servant of course).

7 hours ago, aaid said:

there's a bias in everything the BBC do. Why would comedy be any different?

41 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

Bob servant is gentle and quite clever. depends what you class as comedy - it is not laugh out loud funny but wry. anything with Brian Cox is pretty good. Strange why you then class OAE as a new TV comedy the refer to its funny days as from 2001. I wouldn't cite TV as the barometer of what is funny - popular or approved UK TV programmes are mainly consumed by idiots (bar Bob Servant of course).

Agreed, apart from Bob Servant.  I'm not a weegie and although they produce the funniest people generally was hoping for something better from Dundee.  I like Brian Cox, it just didn't work for me though.

Watched a few Rab C's while i was abroad and was needing some scottish patter.  Didn't think much of the new series at all either.  Must be getting hard to please.

I cant think of many uk tv  programmes that make me really laugh. Its usually american cartoons I find funniest, from Tom and Jerry to The Simpsons. We need to come up with a scottish cartoon character, preferably based in Newtonmore, as according to google that is the most central place in Scotland. Then we can all guffaw to our hearts content without getting oneupmanship on which side of the country is funniest.