Humour - East Coast vs. West Coast - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Humour - East Coast vs. West Coast

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/18/2016 at 0:57 PM, Toepoke said:

Are Scotland The What still going?  If ever there was an example of the difference between West and East coast humour that was it...

Think most of them have died.  While finding it amusing due to my roots, this certainly wasn't the difference between West and East.  Scotland the What appealed to a much older demographic that most likely resided out of the city in the shire/countryside and understood Doric.  I don't think you're average Aberdeen City type would not have found this any funnier than someone from say from Glasgow.

16 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Just read Lewis Grassic Gibbon's semi-serious essay on Aberdeen, written in the 1920s.

"Once in Jerusalem, I struck up an acquaintance with an intelligent and interesting Syrian. We talked ethnology; and in the course of the conversation I told him I was born in Aberdeenshire in Scotland. He was amused and pitiful, though a little hazy. "Aberdeen - it is the pariah place is it not ?".

:lol:

Do many East Coaster's do dry, self deprecating humour or was LGG an exception ?

Btw - I got right into "The Community".  Some weird episodes but on the whole, very good.  Helps that Annie is extremely hot.

21 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Just read Lewis Grassic Gibbon's semi-serious essay on Aberdeen, written in the 1920s.

"Once in Jerusalem, I struck up an acquaintance with an intelligent and interesting Syrian. We talked ethnology; and in the course of the conversation I told him I was born in Aberdeenshire in Scotland. He was amused and pitiful, though a little hazy. "Aberdeen - it is the pariah place is it not ?".

:lol:

Do many East Coaster's do dry, self deprecating humour or was LGG an exception ?

I was sitting in Aberdeen airport the other day and got chatting to an American lady. I asked her how she had enjoyed her trip to Aberdeen. She said "Aberdeen truly is the asshole of the world". To which I replied, "I assume you'll just be passing through, then"

49 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I was sitting in Aberdeen airport the other day and got chatting to an American lady. I asked her how she had enjoyed her trip to Aberdeen. She said "Aberdeen truly is the asshole of the world". To which I replied, "I assume you'll just be passing through, then"

Wait until next year when I take her to Dundee. :o

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I was sitting in Aberdeen airport the other day and got chatting to an American lady. I asked her how she had enjoyed her trip to Aberdeen. She said "Aberdeen truly is the asshole of the world". To which I replied, "I assume you'll just be passing through, th

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Not by any chance in her late 40's early 50's dark hair?

21 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Just another reason to show that yanks are fvcking morons.