Daytime drinking in Vienna on the Saturday? - Slovakia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Daytime drinking in Vienna on the Saturday?

lyonhibs

Anyone else arriving on the Saturday in Vienna? 

We'll be indulging in a spot of daytime drinking before getting a late afternoon train to Bratislava in good time to find wherever everyone is for the Lithuania game.

Any Vienna recommendations? I've been before, but only with wife + mother, so priorities were, errrrr, slightly different.

Lovely place though.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Lyonhibs - I meet my two pals at Vienna airport about 11 on the Saturday morning. They fly from ed and arrive about 40 minutea before me coming from stansted. We stay in Vienna over on Saturday night so if you fancy joining us for a sesh be more than welcome. Im not Vienna's biggest fan but know the good areas. Finding a bar that shows the Lithuania game will be the trick !!! 

On 31/08/2016 at 0:29 AM, WeeJohmny said:

Lyonhibs - I meet my two pals at Vienna airport about 11 on the Saturday morning. They fly from ed and arrive about 40 minutea before me coming from stansted. We stay in Vienna over on Saturday night so if you fancy joining us for a sesh be more than welcome. Im not Vienna's biggest fan but know the good areas. Finding a bar that shows the Lithuania game will be the trick !!! 

We'll be in Bratislava by the time the Lith game comes around. As it clashes directly with the Slovenia vs Slovakia game, I suspect that'll be even more of a challenge than in Vienna, as Austria play on the Thursday.

1 minute ago, lyonhibs said:

We'll be in Bratislava by the time the Lith game comes around. As it clashes directly with the Slovenia vs Slovakia game, I suspect that'll be even more of a challenge than in Vienna, as Austria play on the Thursday.

There is a small Scottish Bar in the old town called Loch Ness Pub (vastly over priced with a bit of tartan wallpaper and bottles of Brew Dog, but your best bet)..... there is also apparently another Scottish pub in the city which is suppose to be better, but its well out in the sticks by most accounts.

• 2 weeks later...

Contacted Billabong. An Australian bar and got this response.

Am 18.09.2016 11:03, schrieb Kenneth Lloyd:

Hi,
Will you be showing this game on the evening of Saturday the 8/10/16?
There may be a few Scotland fans on their way to Slovakia overnighting in Vienna.
Thanks
Regards

Sent from my iPad

Sorry we are not able to broadcast international qualifiers since right to those games lie with the domestic tv broadcasters

Regards

Jan

2 hours ago, onlythekeepertobeat said:

two of us planning on going to Highlander Scottish Pub to watch the Lithuania game, unless there is anywhere else better. I know they have Sky Sports and would guess they will be showing it.

Us too, just round the corner from our hotel.

I think there is 2 Highlander pubs in Vienna..... 1 is a proper pub, while the other is a more "up market" Brew house type place (this one I think is a bit out the way from what I recall).

There is also a large sports bar in the city called Champions, and as long as Austria are not playing at the same time, will probably show the match for you.

Malky24 and all - do you have an address for the highlander or rough location. Me and my two pals will be there. Pals get in to Vienna airport at 10.40 saturday morning off edinburgh easy flight. I get in 11.10 off stansted so meeting for a pint in the Johann's Biereck pub in the airport - cracking pub with smoking allowed if anyone areiving then. 

If anyones got any drinking venue in middle of Vienna in mind for Saturday afternoon before going to highlander let us know. 

Cannae wait !

3 hours ago, WeeJohmny said:

Malky24 and all - do you have an address for the highlander or rough location. Me and my two pals will be there. Pals get in to Vienna airport at 10.40 saturday morning off edinburgh easy flight. I get in 11.10 off stansted so meeting for a pint in the Johann's Biereck pub in the airport - cracking pub with smoking allowed if anyone areiving then. 

If anyones got any drinking venue in middle of Vienna in mind for Saturday afternoon before going to highlander let us know. 

Cannae wait !

I emailed the Highlander - Got the nice response below, Like the idea of the discounted beer ! Could you help me guess numbers to let the guy know how many of us there are likely to be ? (10, 20 40 60 ???) I'm not sure what he means by reserving the pub for us - maybe he means a section but I don't think he needs to do anything like that !!!:(I may have over egged possible numbers to ensure they showed the game !). Me and my two pals will be there anyway.

"Hi John

My name is James. I'm a the manager of the Highlander in Vienna. I am currently in Scotland enjoying your beautiful country.

If you guys are considering the Highlander to watch the Lithuania game it will be available on 5 screens. On top of that I will put on an offer for discounted beer to help lubricating the cheering and singing. Let me know asap if you want me to reserve the pub for you. We will be delighted to welcome you and your friends.

Slainte

James="

He wrote back later

"Ps

Who recommended the Highlander. I may know the person or have met them.

James"