Kris Boyd - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

5 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Just scored his 100th goal for Kilmarnock. 

Can't be too regular an occurrence bagging a ton for 2 different Scottish clubs. Some other examples please?...

I've had a rummage about the record books and the only other example I can find so far was Jimmy McColl who played for Celtic and Hibs a century ago...

16 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Just scored his 100th goal for Kilmarnock. 

Can't be too regular an occurrence bagging a ton for 2 different Scottish clubs. Some other examples please?...

Jim McColl.

113 goals for Celtic between 1913 and 1920. 130 goals for Hibs between 1922 and 1931

Unbelievably he never played for Scotland at all. The selection committee has a lot to answer for.  

Source - http://www.rsssf.com/tabless/scottops-allt.html

King Kenny scored over a hundred for both Celtic and Liverpool.

12 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I've had a rummage about the record books and the only other example I can find so far was Jimmy McColl who played for Celtic and Hibs a century ago...

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Jim McColl.

113 goals for Celtic between 1913 and 1920. 130 goals for Hibs between 1922 and 1931

Unbelievably he never played for Scotland at all. The selection committee has a lot to answer for.  

You must've missed the above post ;) 

I used the same source btw :ok: 

Nae probs. Interesting you mentioned Dalglish, as I'm struggling to even find players other than Dalglish who did the ton if you include clubs outside Scotland.  The likes of Alan Gilzean and Hughie Gallacher came close but just fell short...

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Jim McColl.

King Kenny scored over a hundred for both Celtic and Liverpool.

I think you're forgetting a little skirmish that was happening during that first period & consequently there were no internationals between 1914-1920.

Also Scotland were blessed with players such as Alan Morton & Hugh Gallacher as well as lesser known but still formidable players like Andy Wilson (13 goals in 12 apps & over 100 goals for Middlesbrough & Chelsea), Andy Cunningham (5 goals in 12 apps & just under 200 goals for Rangers) & Alex Skinner Jackson (8 goals in 17 apps) around 100 goals for Huddersfield & Chelsea & at 19 scoring a hat trick v England as one of the Wembley Wizards.

20 minutes ago, silverbear said:

I think you're forgetting a little skirmish that was happening during that first period & consequently there were no internationals between 1914-1920.

Also Scotland were blessed with players such as Alan Morton & Hugh Gallacher as well as lesser known but still formidable players like Andy Wilson (13 goals in 12 apps & over 100 goals for Middlesbrough & Chelsea), Andy Cunningham (5 goals in 12 apps & just under 200 goals for Rangers) & Alex Skinner Jackson (8 goals in 17 apps) around 100 goals for Huddersfield & Chelsea & at 19 scoring a hat trick v England as one of the Wembley Wizards.

No, McColl should have been capped. His goalscoring record was phenomenal and as demonstrated was better than all mentioned.

Actually the real obstacle to McColl being capped was probably sectarian. Pre-1939, it was an open secret that some (not all, but some) members on the SFA selection panels down the years wanted the amount of Catholics in the Scotland team kept to a bare minimum. Those aren't my words but Bob Crampsey's. Jimmy McColl and Jimmy McGrory suffered as a result. It was disgraceful.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

No, McColl should have been capped. His goalscoring record was phenomenal and as demonstrated was better than all mentioned.

As I pointed out, or at least tried - there were no internationals between 1914-1920 due to the war which was when he played for Celtic.

When he was at Hibs he scored 130 goals in 9 seasons - 14 a season. You might think that's phenomenal, I disagree.

High Gallacher scored almost 400 goals in 16 seasons

1921 Queen of the South 9 (19)
1921–1925 Airdrieonians 111 (91)
1925–1930 Newcastle United 160 (133)
1930–1934 Chelsea 132 (72)
1934–1936 Derby County 51 (38)
1936–1937 Notts County 45 (32)

Back then too if you were a centre forward for example then there was only one place in the international team with the rigid formation played prior to the 60s. It would have been very difficult to displace Hughie Gallacher from the Scotland team, one of the main reasons Jimmy McGrory etc. lacked caps  (I'm not discounting sectarianism as another reason mind you!)

31 minutes ago, silverbear said:

As I pointed out, or at least tried - there were no internationals between 1914-1920 due to the war which was when he played for Celtic.

When he was at Hibs he scored 130 goals in 9 seasons - 14 a season. You might think that's phenomenal, I disagree.

High Gallacher scored almost 400 goals in 16 seasons

1921 Queen of the South 9 (19)
1921–1925 Airdrieonians 111 (91)
1925–1930 Newcastle United 160 (133)
1930–1934 Chelsea 132 (72)
1934–1936 Derby County 51 (38)
1936–1937 Notts County 45 (32)

And as I said, the SFA selection panel having a religious dimension to selection prevented many talented players from representing our country.

When he had retired as a player, Jimmy McGrory, was actually told to his face by former selectors that his faith was the reason he only got a pathetic seven caps. 

6 hours ago, EddardStark said:

still one of the best finishers in the Scottish game. Frustrating player but still has a lot to offer.

Aside from season 2013/14, when he scored 22 goals for Killie, he's scored only 40 goals in the last 6 years. 

Good finisher in his prime, but his best days are long behind him. 

15 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Actually the real obstacle to McColl being capped was probably sectarian. Pre-1939, it was an open secret that some (not all, but some) members on the SFA selection panels down the years wanted the amount of Catholics in the Scotland team kept to a bare minimum. Those aren't my words but Bob Crampsey's. Jimmy McColl and Jimmy McGrory suffered as a result. It was disgraceful.

So you think this guy was better than Gallacher, Morton, Jackson etc? I doubt that very much. There were a lot of players who scored for fun domestically that had not many caps. Bob McPhail scored over 300 goals for Airdrie and Rangers yet only got 17 caps. There were just not that many internationals in those days.

Your point on McGrory though regarding sectarianism is probably partly true though.

21 hours ago, Mitre said:

So you think this guy was better than Gallacher, Morton, Jackson etc? I doubt that very much. There were a lot of players who scored for fun domestically that had not many caps. Bob McPhail scored over 300 goals for Airdrie and Rangers yet only got 17 caps. There were just not that many internationals in those days.

Your point on McGrory though regarding sectarianism is probably partly true though.

No I didn't say he was better than Morton, Jackson etc. Didn't say that at all. Just said he should have got games. But then I also revealed the behind closed doors reason why McColl would not have been picked, the uncomfortable truth for many.

And the point about McGrory isn't partly true, it is 100% true.

Bob Crampsey amongst others talked and wrote about it. If you were a Catholic you were in effect handicapped for selection. McGrory was a Garngad boy of Irish immigrant parentage. Some selectors were desperate to get him in the team but sadly other SFA selectors did not even regard him as being Scottish. Disgraceful.

Others who suffered were the O'Donnell brothers (PNE), Patrick Gallacher (Sunderland) and a certain Matthew Busby (Man City) despite their clubs being willing to release them for games. Joseph Cassidy of Celtic it was suggested, only grudgingly got picked because he was a decorated war hero. 

On 8/15/2016 at 3:20 AM, Mitre said:

Partly true? It's common knowledge that the SFA were bigoted in their selection process.

Saying its partly true, is like saying Rangers were a club open to all prior to Souness.