Kris Boyd - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

10 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

No I didn't say he was better than Morton, Jackson etc. Didn't say that at all. Just said he should have got games. But then I also revealed the behind closed doors reason why McColl would not have been picked, the uncomfortable truth for many.

My apologies, I misinterpreted your "  His goalscoring record was phenomenal and as demonstrated was better than all mentioned. " as meaning he was better than all of the players that Silverbear mentioned.

14 minutes ago, Mitre said:

My apologies, I misinterpreted your "  His goalscoring record was phenomenal and as demonstrated was better than all mentioned. " as meaning he was better than all of the players that Silverbear mentioned.

:lol:

Thanks for that. I was beginning to think the bit I quoted in bold should've been in larger font.

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Partly true? It's common knowledge that the SFA were bigoted in their selection process.

Saying its partly true, is like saying Rangers were a club open to all prior to Souness.

People like Willie McStay, Jimmy Quinn, Jimmy McMenemy etc all got double figure caps in the early days coming from Celtic / a likely Irish background. I wonder why they managed to get multiple caps and folk like McGrory / Gallacher etc struggled.

Scotland had a glut of strikers and McGrory was up against McPhail domestically (who was Rangers record scorer up to Ally McCoist), Hughie Gallacher, Alex Jackson and all the expatriate Scots in top level English football at the time. 

Not denying there would have been some committee members with an agenda and wouldn't have wanted McGrory in for purely sectarian and nationalist reasons.