Dalian Atkinson - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I have the film about the taser folk to watch. I got about half way through last time. From what I watched what amazed me was some old footage of them testing it. They went to some ranch  that had some American Buffaloes or bisons whatever they are. Massive hulking beasts that would go through you like you were tissue paper and it dropped the one they shot instantly, they let it back up pressed the wee button again and down it went again totally paralysed. Over and over with the same result. I seem to recall being told it's not the volts that kill you but the amps. The taser is 50,000 volts I think. But still if it can drop a buffalo like a sack of shit it can't being doing you a whole lot of good. I shall watch the rest but from what I saw they know it kills occasionally but it has helped them so much they just say ah well benefits outweigh the costs. 

15 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I have the film about the taser folk to watch. I got about half way through last time. From what I watched what amazed me was some old footage of them testing it. They went to some ranch  that had some American Buffaloes or bisons whatever they are. Massive hulking beasts that would go through you like you were tissue paper and it dropped the one they shot instantly, they let it back up pressed the wee button again and down it went again totally paralysed. Over and over with the same result. I seem to recall being told it's not the volts that kill you but the amps. The taser is 50,000 volts I think. But still if it can drop a buffalo like a sack of shit it can't being doing you a whole lot of good. I shall watch the rest but from what I saw they know it kills occasionally but it has helped them so much they just say ah well benefits outweigh the costs. 

You are right it's the current that kills not the volts. The body can withstand a very high voltage but it only takes about 50 milliamperes to kill iirc. 

On 8/16/2016 at 6:31 PM, hunchy said:

You are right it's the current that kills not the volts. The body can withstand a very high voltage but it only takes about 50 milliamperes to kill iirc. 

This board could do with some defibrillation... feckin rotten.

But I got around to watching it all the other night. Basically the first device they invented stopped no determined mentalist so one of the brothers then quadrupled the power and bingo it stopped every khunt. As he said we knew immediately "we had a product". It is pretty obvious in certain circumstances it can kill you but they are going down the tobacco company route of insisting no it does not until they can no longer deny it.

Apparently if shot in the chest area it can 'capture' the heart electrically and when the cops repeatedly stun folk in this situation (30-75 seconds is not unusual) it can cause heart failure. They showed footage of pigs with their hearts surgically exposed while alive and conscious then stunned them with a taser equivalent and you can see their hearts failing... Nice test by the way.

To be honest the film was weak. I think the Taser folk do have an argument that it saves far more than it kills. The filmmakers lost my respect a little by focussing on the social awkwardness / weirdness of some of the guys involved in the company. Small stuff but I think it showed they knew they had a weak film. Tell you what thought being 'successful' comes at some price in the US. The bags under those guys eyes said it all...

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be used that is 100% non lethal. There is always going to be that condition/ part of the body it hits etc that will respond badly. Not trying to say tasers are the be all and end all of non lethal arms but I think it's the best we have at the moment. Needs to be more research into other forms. The solidifying foam could be an option if they can get it working right but then it would only be effective in the right circumstances.